PDA

View Full Version : Brakes suck!

Silver Bullet
05-02-2003, 04:53 PM
I am in need of some better brakes. I do want to spend a ton of money. I want better pads, rotors, braided brake lines. I do not want wilwood, SSBC,etc. If anybody knows where to get thiese things, please let me know.

JSIR
05-02-2003, 06:34 PM
I've gone with Hawk brake pads - HPS compound, this has totally eliminated the brake fade exhibited by the stock pads, the stock pads fade so easily. The rate of deceleration with the stock pads levels off after 50% brake pedal application. With the Hawk pads the rade of decelaration increases as the brake pedal application increases all the way to the floor, no fade at all.

For me, the stock rotors work fine for now IMO. Stainless steel lines don't do much for real stopping power , but they do feel good. I'd recommend a good pad as a first step, that eliminates all of the problems with the stock brakes from my experience. Our cars have decent brake systems, you just need a good pad to work a bit better. I've swapped the fluid to Wilwood fluid while I was at it, but the pads are the best upgrade.

chunky
05-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
I've gone with Hawk brake pads - HPS compound, this has totally eliminated the brake fade exhibited by the stock pads, the stock pads fade so easily. The rate of deceleration with the stock pads levels off after 50% brake pedal application. With the Hawk pads the rade of decelaration increases as the brake pedal application increases all the way to the floor, no fade at all.

For me, the stock rotors work fine for now IMO. Stainless steel lines don't do much for real stopping power , but they do feel good. I'd recommend a good pad as a first step, that eliminates all of the problems with the stock brakes from my experience. Our cars have decent brake systems, you just need a good pad to work a bit better. I've swapped the fluid to Wilwood fluid while I was at it, but the pads are the best upgrade.

I use the porterfield r4-s pads. It's their streetable carbon/kevlar compound. Has the widest temp range of almost any pad. works great cold, on up to well over 500deg F where most other pads turn to mush. I think they're actually good up to 1000deg F due to their high carbon content.

They are a noisy pad, and they do give off a dark dust, but it's totally worth it IMO. At 100mph, I can stomp on the brakes, and watch the speedo fall off as if someone just hit it with a hammer.

Pads should be your first upgrade as they have the biggest impact. New pads will also do a much better job of conditioning the stock rotors. they'll help radiate heat better to prevent warpage of the rotor, and they'll also scrub the rotor better to help fight warpage.

The next upgrade would be brake fluid. I use the valvoline dot 3&4 synthetic. It has a very high dry boiling point and does not take up moisture as quickly as some of the other high perf. brake fluids. It's also cheap & accessible.

The final step to getting rid of brake fade with the stock brake system would be SS brake lines. To be honest, for my style of driving, the pads + fluid work well. The SS lines will be nice for when I auto-x the car & track days. But for spirited driving through the mountains, the pads & fluid have made all the difference.

Mugen_EP
05-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Does any one know of a rotor and caliper upgrade that will fit underneath the stock wheels or 15" wheels in general?