PDA

View Full Version : Engine braking sensation...does anyone else feel this?

streaker666
05-02-2003, 06:00 PM
I have a habit of combining engine braking and actual braking to slow down for traffic lights... The mileage on my car is still below 1000km, ever since I've gotten the car I've mostly driven with the music off.

I have noticed since first day that when I allow the car to slow down and brake at the same time while I'm in 2nd or 3rd (still engaged = clutch not depressed), the engine 'almost' sounds as if it's in neutral when the RPM drops to about 1200RPM. It's hard to describe in words, but when the engine drops below 1200RPM it quiets down noticeably and the car rolls as if it's in neutral (but isn't in neutral...if I give it some gas the car drives normally).

Does anyone else feel this? Anyone know the reason for this?

I would really appreciate any help on this...

chunky
05-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by streaker666
I have a habit of combining engine braking and actual braking to slow down for traffic lights... The mileage on my car is still below 1000km, ever since I've gotten the car I've mostly driven with the music off.

I have noticed since first day that when I allow the car to slow down and brake at the same time while I'm in 2nd or 3rd (still engaged = clutch not depressed), the engine 'almost' sounds as if it's in neutral when the RPM drops to about 1200RPM. It's hard to describe in words, but when the engine drops below 1200RPM it quiets down noticeably and the car rolls as if it's in neutral (but isn't in neutral...if I give it some gas the car drives normally).

Does anyone else feel this? Anyone know the reason for this?

I would really appreciate any help on this...

something to do with the i-vtec. it's an emissions thing actually, it increases overlap to create an EGR effect, so it re-burns some exhaust gasses.