PDA

View Full Version : Ep production for 2004

02SiHB
05-03-2003, 04:45 AM
Anyone know if they are continuing production for the Si into 2004 or if they will stop after a few years like the 6g Si?

IceD out N CALI
05-03-2003, 08:50 AM
well nobody from honda said they were going to stop, so most likely it will continue until further notice. chances are the si will be in production until the regular 7th generation civic runs out. (eg. 4th gen si ran from 89-91 but 4th gen regular civic ran from 88-91), but then again honda could always decide to pull the plug on it earlier if they see fit

jaydub
05-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Yea the 99-00 Si's sold like hotcakes, and they halted production after two years. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Mugen Power
05-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Yup, if the dismal sales continue...

I just hope they won't make the Si's coupes again. The 6th gen Si looked pretty nice as a coupe but everyone knows a real Si is in hatch form. ;)

EP33
05-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Damn Straight. Si Coupe????? POPPYCOCK!!!

Hot hatch all da way man

Joker
05-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Funny to see this post, as I was just at the dealer asking this same question. They too are baffled that the 99-00 Si Coupe only had a 2 year run, as they sold so well. I guess we aren't the only ones who think Honda does some strange things.
Not to get the rumor mill going again, but what brought us to the EP3 question was if Honda brings the CTR, would they continue to sell the Si. The person I spoke to was very optimistic that the CTR (in very limited production) and Si will be here for 2004.
Greg - who knocks on wood, rubs his rabbits foot, and crosses his fingers :)

IceD out N CALI
05-03-2003, 10:36 AM
i think in 20/20 hindsight honda would have introduced the si coupe in 96 if it knew it was going to be such a big hit. unfortunately it wouldnt make sense for honda to contine the si coupe beyond 2000 since the 6th generation style had expired.

napapacoda
05-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Has anyone figured out the correlation between high sales and the 6th gen SI? it would be my guess that although the SI was always a hatch, a lot of people don't want hatchbacks. If honda was looking for better sales like the 99-00 SI, they would slap on the FP package and put everything else the EP has into a coupe.

jaydub
05-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Well we do know that honda doesn't always think straight, because they sent us the K20A3 instead of the A2 as they should have. :D

IceD out N CALI
05-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by napapacoda
Has anyone figured out the correlation between high sales and the 6th gen SI? it would be my guess that although the SI was always a hatch, a lot of people don't want hatchbacks. If honda was looking for better sales like the 99-00 SI, they would slap on the FP package and put everything else the EP has into a coupe.

high sales probably had to do with many reasons including lack of competition and good econmy. had that style/package debut in 2002 it would not have been nearly as hot a commodity having to compete with other cars in its class that are quicker for roughly the same price

BlasTech
05-03-2003, 01:48 PM
so far, Honda goes in cycles with a hatch and coupe model, they dont go forward one generation for one without the other. The 99-00 Si was just like an EX coupe with performance parts/swap.

I wouldnt be surprised if Honda put a K20a3 in a EM coupe.

But I'd rather have a hatch, the coupes are ehhh, whatever.

02SiHB
05-03-2003, 02:18 PM
I just want the value to retain a little better with a limited production. Plus I don't want to see a million Ep's on the road.

EPHatchgirl
05-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 02SiHB
I just want the value to retain a little better with a limited production. Plus I don't want to see a million Ep's on the road.
Totally agree, I like the gawks and stares I get because people don't know what just drove past them!:D

IceD out N CALI
05-03-2003, 03:17 PM
dont you guys worry, i'm sure there will not be too many "eggs" on the streets:)

ep pilot
05-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I've got to admit, originally my plans were to get a red 2003 Civic EX coupe 5/spd black interior, oem spoiler, fogs and the new for '03 '99-'00 Si style alloy wheels. This package listed for about $17500. The dealer said I could get a better deal on their left over '02 Si Hatchbacks. I was like Huh? lets go drive it..... went around the block and was in love with it, but $19750??? Dealer said don't worry we have a sale going on for these tell my sales manager you saw it at brand (X) Honda for $15350 and you will get it at that price. The Boss came out gave my aforementioned offer, no questions asked sign here!:eek:

In some ways I think I would have bought the coupe over the hatch if it came with a close ratio 5/spd K-series 2.0L the same seats as our Si and steering wheel & all the red stitching. Also If they offered it in Championchip White, Spa Yellow, Red, same blue as the '99-'00 Si and priced it under $19500 I would have bought that car, probably even a Sedan with the same options.

I have never warmmed up to the stock tails on the coupe they remind me of the '82-'92 Camaro LoL

-Ryan

todaCspec
05-03-2003, 04:40 PM
The only reason why the 99-00 si was offered is because the 96-97 delsol's didn't sell well. The had an over production of B-series DOHC vtec engines. They didn't want to offer it in the 99-00 hatchback because those were not selling well, that is why they pulled the hatch for 01. If you look around alot of grandma and grandpa's drive 99-00 civic hatchbacks.

The Ep will only be offered for 02-03. You can check the OEM Honda service manual, It says 02-03 civic SI. Other examples like 99-00 civic Si and for the delsol, it would say 1994 civic delsol. Only stated one year because it would run for more than two years. That model ran from 93-97.

I also spoke to a salesman who has been employed for more than 12 years there and he said they would not continue for 04. He owns a 02 Si as well. This is his first 5-speed car. He said he revs it all the time into redline in first gear.

BlasTech
05-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec
If you look around alot of grandma and grandpa's drive 99-00 civic hatchbacks.
I've got one, its sooo lovely to look at :p , but slow and automatic (cringe) at that.... if it was standard, I would have looked into a swap by now (at least an EX transmission and mini-me), and maybe not have gotten the EP... :o

Overall, Im happy though, as I can tell the EP is going to be a great car for the future (by the time I use up 36,000 miles, the options will be out there), and my wife, a southpaw, is totally styling in a sweet (and safe) EK. ;)