PDA

View Full Version : removing door panels

chunky
08-09-2002, 08:40 AM
how do you pull off the door panels to access the front speakers?

are there any hidden screws?

So far I've learned the hard way that the panels on this car don't just "pop" out. like when i was pulling the center console, it took me like an hour to find the screws under the rubber mat in that storag compartment under the cupholders.

so i figured i'd ask beforehand this time.

thanks!

DynaSpeed
08-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the insight on the console screws. It didn't just take me an hour, I actually just gave up.

chunky
08-10-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Thanks for the insight on the console screws. It didn't just take me an hour, I actually just gave up.

heh, i busted a few clips on that piece. oh well, i can always buy a new one if it rattles too much.

but i'd rather not fuck up the door panels since they tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

I KNOW there's a screw on it somewhere, most likely around where you grip it to pull the door shut, but I can't find any screw holes anywhere, and none of the panels seem to want to just pop out.

2k2civicSi
08-11-2002, 07:16 PM
why did you guys have to take out your console???

02whitesi
08-11-2002, 08:36 PM
to get the door panal off remove the silver insert in the handle. there is a little hole on the back side of the handle where you can poke it out. then remove the bottom of the armrest. the is a little cutout where you can insert a screwdriver to pop it off. once thats off remove the screws(2 big screws 3 little ones) and 2 screws in the top of handle. then just pull the panal off. the factory speakers suck and clip in. you need to cut the hole larger to fit in 6.5's. the tweeter is just 1 clip it pulls right off. hope this helps postin pics of my install this week

chunky
08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 02whitesi
to get the door panal off remove the silver insert in the handle. there is a little hole on the back side of the handle where you can poke it out. then remove the bottom of the armrest. the is a little cutout where you can insert a screwdriver to pop it off. once thats off remove the screws(2 big screws 3 little ones) and 2 screws in the top of handle. then just pull the panal off. the factory speakers suck and clip in. you need to cut the hole larger to fit in 6.5's. the tweeter is just 1 clip it pulls right off. hope this helps postin pics of my install this week

thanks dude, but I figured it all out on my own yesterday.

the factory speakers do suck.

btw, you only have to pull out 3 big screws (in the deeply recessed holes). those little ones don't matter, they just hold the pwr window button in, but you can just unclip the wire harness once you have the panel off.

I'm not so sure I want to cut my door panels though. I'm probably gonna make a spacer plate that mounts the speaker about 1/2" off the metal surface of the door, then the speaker will sit properly in the factory hole w/o any cutting, just drilling new holes (which is much easier to do than cutting metal)

Silver '02 Si
08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
cutting really is not that hard...and those spacers??? are you sure the speaker will fit and not touch the door panel afterwards, think of a little bit of excursion did mine in like 20 min. no biggie with a jig-saw...measure twice/cut once :D ...my bostons are a major improvement over stock...;)