PDA

View Full Version : Custom colored calipers (red)

FailureToStart
05-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Here are the materials needed:

-1 can of caliper paint (I chose red because I think it's most tasteful for our car). Make sure you use caliper paint and not conventional spray paint. The brand I used (VHT) is available from Summit Racing for about $7 plus shipping. It doesn't flake or chip and dries quick (45 minutes) so I recommend it.

-1 can of brake cleaner. This item is just as important as the paint. You're going to use it to clean the calipers off and scrub whatever dirt or oily buildup that might be there and affect the texture of the paint. This will also serve to clean off any overspray you may have made or any paint that's dried where you didn't want it to (i.e. rotors, pads).

-1 roll of paper towels, self-explanatory.

-1 roll of packaging tape. Tape off the entire rotor, car body that might be hit with paint unintentionally or from wind, the hole in caliper where the brake pad is and the hole on back where you can see the rotor through.

-A Sunday newspaper (preferably a paper with plenty of sheets) the sports section, any otherwise useless articles you aren't going to read or have already read. They're gonna keep all the dripping paint from staining your driveway.

-6 hours of elbow grease, patience, repainting, and a night to let the car dry.

FailureToStart
05-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Dried calipers, now for the touch up. Notice the overspray that landed on the brake pads? That's what that can of brake cleaner I told you to buy does...yup, it will take paint off the accidentally sprayed and now dried areas. Just be careful not to hit the now painted calipers with that because it will thin the paint.

FailureToStart
05-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Mission accomplished.

FailureToStart
05-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Imagine her with some 17" wheels with thinner spokes...

Jpax
05-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Very bright red.... :eek:

Looks good though.. Good job :)

CleanBlackSi02
05-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Bling bling.

I just went with black to cover up the rust.

FailureToStart
05-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Thank you, the bright color brings all the wrong attention we wanted to it. ;) :D

IceD out N CALI
05-05-2003, 08:45 PM
not bad, i did mine silver:)

ssvr6
05-05-2003, 09:01 PM
They look good. I'll be doing mine black.

Steve

golferjn
05-05-2003, 09:05 PM
good job. looks nice

BSEVEER
05-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
They look good. I'll be doing mine black.

Steve

Same here.

Makross
05-06-2003, 02:33 PM
thats nice man how about the back?

siver-SI
05-06-2003, 06:05 PM
First I have to say the calipers look like the same ones that are on my 86 Accord. What I am wondering why not just take the caliper off the hub and just take some wire to hang it and paint it while it is still connected to the hydrilic line just like you were changing the rotor with your pads? I would think it would be easyer to mask off the car and paint it.

SiR_d1
05-06-2003, 06:08 PM
I was gonna do the same thing but just decided to buy spoon calipers

siver-SI
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
What I want to do a brake upgrade when I wear out my pads. I am going to do the calipers, rotors, and pads. When I do that I think my stock wheels are going to have to go up for sale since they will not longer fit. I just do not know who I am going to go with when I do this upgrade. I figure it should be about a good half day project for me.

ssvr6
05-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
I was gonna do the same thing but just decided to buy spoon calipers

Hmm... a few dollars in paint or a few hundred for new calipers...decisions, decisions....

:rolleyes:

Steve

klik
05-06-2003, 10:31 PM
DAYUM that look sick, ima do mine before summer, in that way i can save up for a brake upgrade, this is sick uhhhh

02NITEHAWKSi EP
05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
I think you could have done a better job. You painted all the rubber parts, that is not good.

Just take the brake off and suspend it by a wire or string, take out the pads and the clamp of the caliper then take the rubber parts off or mask them.

Here is my caliper and rotor. I don't have a pic with the wheel off but I will see if I can get one this weekend.

FailureToStart
05-09-2003, 02:53 PM
You painted some really unconventional parts. I don't think that looks very good in my honest opinion. Might want to put the cap on your tire.

SiR_d1
05-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6

Hmm... a few dollars in paint or a few hundred for new calipers...decisions, decisions....

:rolleyes:

Steve

Im more into the weight factor than the bling bling. The bling is just a bonus;)