PDA

View Full Version : Dealer replaced 2 KA20A3s

EP33
05-06-2003, 11:07 AM
I took my car into Penske honda in Ontario, Calif. for the drivers side door window seal. Somehow it got caught and pushed into the window channel above the tweeter.

The asst. mngr walks out to write me up and says "oh, I thought you were someone else until I noticed the wheels on your car." I asked who did you think I was. He says we replaced an engine in a white Si due to water in the engine. I asked how ? He says an aftermarket intake. He says they started it up at the dealership after it was dropped off by a tow truck. The owner did not advise of the water, and Ka'Boom. I asked what kind, but he didn't know. Car owner took it off and installed the factory air box :angel: before it got to the dealership.

The other engine they replaced ran out of oil. This asst. service manager confirmed that if these engines are driven hard they will consume oil faster.

FYI y'all

BTW They will have to order a new door seal for my car.

streaker666
05-06-2003, 11:23 AM
So in the situation where the engine blew up because it ran out of oil, would that be covered by the factory warranty?

btw, where did you get your Koni's in Ontario? I think you installed it yourself, did you not (maybe I remembered wrong)?

StrangeShadow
05-06-2003, 11:52 AM
I think the one that went ka'boom was the intake prb., unless I read wrong, my ride seams to burn oil fast, after an oil change...
---does't aem make a cai with some kind of filter system/add on that prevents water from going into the engine if the intake is submerged?

simione
05-06-2003, 12:19 PM
my car has not burned a drop of oil (that i can tell) since 10,000 miles. i think its kinda weird that some people have cars that burn oil and some don't. i guess it would have to do with how the car is broken in.

2k2ep3
05-06-2003, 12:33 PM
didnt use air bypass. i rather buy the comptech airbox

kenis138
05-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow
I think the one that went ka'boom was the intake prb., unless I read wrong, my ride seams to burn oil fast, after an oil change...
---does't aem make a cai with some kind of filter system/add on that prevents water from going into the engine if the intake is submerged?

AEM bypass valve is NOT compatible with our cars, details in engine forum :)

SmoothOperator
05-06-2003, 12:39 PM
btw, where did you get your Koni's in Ontario?
He means Ontario, California.

IceD out N CALI
05-06-2003, 12:41 PM
nice little heads up. i better go to penske and have them replace my drivers window seal as well

EP33
05-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Not sure if the oil starved engine blow was covered by warranty. I'm 90% sure it was, as things like that shouldn't happen.

BS nonetheless :(

jaydub
05-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 2k2ep3
didnt use air bypass. i rather buy the comptech airbox

Yeah because that's available right now, right?

r3p00c
05-06-2003, 02:49 PM
I just don't get it... I've driven through some of the worst rain storms I've ever seen with my injen cai installed, and haven't had the slightest problem. maybe the person didn't have it installed correctly, or just ran the front end of his car into a pond at full-throttle? There's just no logical way you're gonna ingest water while driving responsibly with the location of the filter.

btw... post 150! :)

jaydub
05-06-2003, 04:06 PM
If you drive through deep enough water to make your intake suck in water, you're also deep enough for other components to be submerged, i.e. your stock exhaust system. Water in an exhaust system = rust.

I don't get it either, I've never had an issue with it, and we've gotten some pretty good rain lately.

02TafWhtSi
05-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Thats pretty sick to try and make the dealership warranty the car. It was completely his fault and to put the stock box back in was just ridiculous. I feel sorry for the guy but as far as the dealership is concerned they must be asking "what are the chances of the stock airbox hydrolocking the engine?" with confused looks on their faces :o :o

chakra71
05-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by EP33
I took my car into Penske honda in Ontario, Calif. for the drivers side door window seal. Somehow it got caught and pushed into the window channel above the tweeter.

BTW They will have to order a new door seal for my car.

I had this same problem... they replaced the weather stripping, the run channel and the window motor for fear of it being burned out from the extra work trying to push up the window. I didn't have to ask for anything, just showed them the problem. I got some good service at my Honda dealer. :)

EP33
05-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Wow. Did that warranty job come with a reach around? :o

I'm going to Alabama to get mine done. I'm not even asking for all of that, I just want my drivers side window to go "thump" when it's rolled up like my passenger side does.

StrangeShadow
05-07-2003, 12:57 AM
nice little heads up. i better go to penske and have them replace my drivers window seal as well
i thought mine was jacked the other day to, mywindow would go up all jacked up and leave a crack, after it warmed up later that day it worked fine, so I figured it was just the cold, I'll try again tomorrow morning to make sure though.

IceD out N CALI
05-07-2003, 08:27 AM
the ep is kinda known to have issues with the weather stripping so u may need to have yours replaced as well