PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about lowering my new car

513n179
05-07-2003, 01:05 AM
okay,

i need some help, advice, whatever...

i want to lower my car, but i'm having doubts about doing it.

i want make sure i'm doing things the right way this time around, because i had a pretty shitty set up on my old 98 hb. i was running a full coilover set-up that blew out on me after about a year...

so instead of coilovers, i thought i'd go with springs... so here's a question, are lowering springs hard on stock shocks? and how long could i ride on them before needing replacements? i really don't wanna spend a whole lotta money on replacing my shocks everytime they go out, so should i just leave it alone and not lower it?

if i were to do it, what other components would i need to make a successful lowering job?

basically, i want to make sure i don't hurt the car in any way... i want a comfortable ride, and i don't want any problems...

thanks in advance for the input

02SilverSiHB
05-07-2003, 05:37 AM
these shocks seem pretty strong and may last quite a while with aftermarket springs that don't lower the car too much. I'm getting aftermarket shocks/struts because I want more adjustability.

But anyway, it depends on the drop you want. The eibach prokit has decent drop that isn't too low and most likely will make your shocks last longer. you may need a camber kit for the rear. you can get them cheap for 117 at www.importhorizon.com If you want to go a bit lower than the prokits, try progress or tein.

XspeedSi02
05-07-2003, 06:11 AM
If you want a nice drop and ride, then go with the Tein S-Tech springs. They run $139 shipped from showstoppersusa.com. Ask for Chuck and he'll hook you up! They lower the car like 1.5" front and 1.3" rear. Do a search for Type-X in members rides. He has the Tein S-Techs and they are perfect.:)

Makross
05-07-2003, 09:38 AM
lower it and youll be happy
-Makross who cant drive stock:D

IceD out N CALI
05-07-2003, 09:52 AM
i've had my car on stock shocks lowered on eibach sportlines from 4/02- 11/02 and race springs from 11/02-to now. so far stock shocks are still holding up. I dont drive in canyons though, jus average driver who likes to open her up here and there. as far as springs, u have many choices, but really depends on how much of a drop u want. if u want a pretty aggressive drop go for the race springs. if you want a good drop but not too low, yet lower than stock and retain shock/ride, i think a good pick would be sportlines or prokit. of course there are also other alternatives like sprint, progress, h & r and others. :)

JDMEP3
05-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Order from ShowstoppersUSA ask for Chuck and he'll hook you up! 139 shipped to you.

www.showstoppersusa.com

Here is a nice pic of EPhatchirls ride lowered on Teins it looks awesome!

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10187

siver-SI
05-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Ok I have been wanting to lower my car too and the Tein S-Tech Springs look just about right for me. I want about a 1" to a 1 1/2" drop. Now for the cast and camber kit for my car what is the best to use so I get the most out of my tires? Is there any special tire size I sould look at so not to have rubbing on the fenders in the rears? Also for the fronts do I need any cast and camber kit? I remember seeing one that alowed you to adjust the camber I think it was by a bolt on the strut tower witch sounded good if I take it to the track. I am the same I want to do this right the first time. With those prices for the springs that is not bad at all. The rims and tires is what looks like is going to be the big bite out of my pocket.

513n179
05-08-2003, 07:23 PM
well, i ordered the teins from chuck today, i should be getting them soon.

question is this, should i buy a camber kit?

:confused:

klik
05-09-2003, 10:44 AM
i got mine yesterday and went to install it by the time i got it, i recoment Tein spring there the shiznit, i like the drop its moderate and it will not hurt the stock shocks that much.
i just need some alignment right now
Peace
Thanks chuck and rocky from showstopper

siver-SI
05-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Ok so if I get those at $139 a set so I need $139x2 plus shipping and what else do I need except for a 4 wheel alinement. I just did not know if that kit made it so I need any cast and camber kit to make sure before I ordered. Also is the install that hard to do your self if you jack up the car so all 4 wheels are off the ground about 3 feet up? I have hear about the axel problem and I do not know if I want to do it or someone else. Just though of this is there any bushing I chould upgrade while I am at it?

tsa1
05-09-2003, 10:49 PM
yeah tein spring are the best springs for the EP. while they dont drop it as much as progress or nuespeed, they fill in the wheel gap and ride like the stock springs

BTW after i got mine installed the steering wheel is kinda crooked or is it because i need an alingment

siver-SI
05-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Man I was thinking the springs were sold in sets of 2 not 4 like they are so all I have to do is come up with $139 plus an alinement then. Cool this is getting cheap to lower my car now.

bensa
05-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I take it you guys like the Tein Springs then? Newbie here... love my EP just not the wheel gap. And I don't wanna have super stiff suspension nor do I want my shocks to leak on me in a year.

Teins, H & R or Eibach Pros... which way to go ?:)