PDA

View Full Version : advantages of bigger / wider rear rims on FWD?

2k2_nbp_egg
05-07-2003, 05:12 PM
I know it helps out a good deal on RWD, not too sure why, but I've always noticed it on porsches, nsxs, supras, etc. I saw it on a couple of preludes and it looked really good, but I was just wondering if this would help or hurt a FWD car.

chunky
05-07-2003, 08:03 PM
typically, you don't want wider wheels in the rear of a FWD car.

it's pointless first of all as the back end of the car doesn't utilize the traction in the rear fully when the rear tires are the same size as the front.

A wider track is nice though as it helps reduce body roll in the rear which results in less plowing through turns. You can get a wider track via spacers, but it's not much of a benefit, you'd be better off with getting sway bars.

Most of the time when I see really wide wheels on the rear of a FWD car, it's usually on a VW that has the "euro" look to it. For some reason getting crazy offset wheels & thick spacers is the shit over in europe.

Tenacious G
05-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by chunky
typically, you don't want wider wheels in the rear of a FWD car.

it's pointless first of all as the back end of the car doesn't utilize the traction in the rear fully when the rear tires are the same size as the front.

A wider track is nice though as it helps reduce body roll in the rear which results in less plowing through turns. You can get a wider track via spacers, but it's not much of a benefit, you'd be better off with getting sway bars.

what he said.

:D

Suk02Si
05-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by chunky

Most of the time when I see really wide wheels on the rear of a FWD car, it's usually on a VW that has the "euro" look to it. For some reason getting crazy offset wheels & thick spacers is the shit over in europe.

yeah, pretty gay; backwards thinkin':D

2k2_nbp_egg
05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
What about just larger rims, like 16s in the front and 17s in the back? Sorry, I'm staring at my NSX model and can't get over that look :)

Oh yea, stretched tires are one of the many odd trendy things that I've seen on alot of dubs. *shrug* I guess it's the "cool" thing to do....if you want to pop your tire and run into a tree.

chunky
05-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
What about just larger rims, like 16s in the front and 17s in the back? Sorry, I'm staring at my NSX model and can't get over that look :)

Oh yea, stretched tires are one of the many odd trendy things that I've seen on alot of dubs. *shrug* I guess it's the "cool" thing to do....if you want to pop your tire and run into a tree.

the reason why the nsx has 16" up front and 17" in back is b/c the front doesn't need as large a wheel on a RWD car. the 17" wheel in the rear is not only a larger rim size, the overall wheel/tire diameter is larger by a good bit to create a longer contact patch.