PDA

View Full Version : scraping w/progress?

1abSi
05-08-2003, 09:59 AM
ok i have progress springs and when i go over speed bumps i am hitting mt cat....for some reason i STILL have a feeling these are bad springs or something cause i am still getting noise from them over small bumps....wth

joshua
05-08-2003, 10:08 AM
DONT WORRY MOST OF ALL THE GOOD SPRINGS THAT ARE OUT FOR OUR CARS LIKE PROGRESS, NEUSPEED, AND EIBACH MAKE NOISE BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT THEY ARE MADE WICH IS STIFF SO THEY ARE VERY TIGHT WHICH MAKES THEM MAKE NOISE SOMETIMES JUST BE CAREFUL GOING OVER BUMPS:D

Suk02Si
05-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Eibach's dont make noise.

The Neuspeed and Progress do because of all the deal coils they have. ANy kind of movement and the coils smack each other causing the noise.

todaCspec
05-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Eibach's dont make noise.

The Neuspeed and Progress do because of all the deal coils they have. ANy kind of movement and the coils smack each other causing the noise.

Yep, I second that!

esmith13
05-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Funny.... I only get noise on mine if I go over a BIG bump at a fairly quick speed....

Oh, I have neuspeed race springs....

Eric

Suk02Si
05-08-2003, 01:24 PM
When I had neuspeed springs I had no noises at all. It's just a matter of greasing the right parts and making sure everything is installed correctly.

The Neuspeed, Progress, and i think Sprint springs all have dead coils making them more prone to creaks and other noises.

97gsr90si
05-09-2003, 05:28 AM
Um...a slight correction...there are absolutely NO "dead" coils on the Progress springs for this car.

Hint: If you go to your local hardware store and get a length of thin wall rubber hose and slide a piece of it over the outter most coils of the springs you will have a VERY slim chance of any noise.

1abSi
05-09-2003, 07:34 AM
that is what i did....as you can see there should be no metal touching with how many isolators i put on
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p200e7cf7ba446ec6b5a0bce3810ede7b/fc2f1240.jpg

HondaMan
05-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 1abSi
that is what i did....as you can see there should be no metal touching with how many isolators i put on
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p200e7cf7ba446ec6b5a0bce3810ede7b/fc2f1240.jpg

Good pic! They used all of the clear plastic wrap stuff on my front Progress springs and nothing on the rear, and the rear is where 95% of my noises come from (only over bumps/dips at low speeds...20mph or less) and these noises don't happen that often. I need to go get some of that wall rubber hose and see if that helps. BTW, I don't hit my CAT going over speed bumps...I always go over them very slow.

02SilverSiHB
05-09-2003, 10:48 AM
strange...only time I've ever scraped my exhaust is on a steep incline...and I mean steep. My springs don't make any noise either. Are you sure someone didn't send you the wrong ones. What is the part number? I had the wrong ones at one time. They were for the coupe and slammed my car, scraped like crazy, and noises like you wouldn't believe.

97gsr90si
05-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Hey great pic!

It looks like there is not any around the very bottom coil where the spring sits...am I seeing that right?...that could be the source of your trouble.

...also...is there any in between where the top coil first meets itself?

Suk02Si
05-09-2003, 12:26 PM
The top most coil and the second coil rest on each other. Nothing is touching in the pic b/c there is no weight on the shock:rolleyes:

1abSi
05-09-2003, 12:38 PM
02silversihb---the part number is 1007....the thing is i called showstoppers and they said to call progress so i did..there was another sticker under the Si sticker...they told me that originally for some reason there were RSX springs in there and they swapped them out....also they told me that 01+ civic springs were NOTHING like ours????and that the RSX is more like ours.....

1abSi
05-09-2003, 12:39 PM
97gsr90si---there are some on top as you can see in suk's pic redo...and as far as bottom where it sits...that's just it, it sits so there shouldn't be niose like i am getting

97gsr90si
05-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I understand what you are saying, but think about this...

When the suspension is in the fully extended position, one CAN physically rotate the spring slightly...as you drive down the road and the weight shifts, there are moments when there is very little weight compressing the spring holding it in place...hence possiblly causing a little amount of "rattling" in the lower part of the strut where the spring sits.

When I installed mine, in order to combat this, I made sure to "insulate" the complete first (lower) coil. On my car, anyway, I do not have any noise.

02SilverSiHB
05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 1abSi
02silversihb---the part number is 1007....the thing is i called showstoppers and they said to call progress so i did..there was another sticker under the Si sticker...they told me that originally for some reason there were RSX springs in there and they swapped them out....also they told me that 01+ civic springs were NOTHING like ours????and that the RSX is more like ours.....

whoa! I'm confused. So they took out the springs which were for a RSX and put spring in there that were for an 01 civic? If so those are indeed wrong. They do make specific ones for the Si, www.progressauto.com is their site and they show a part number : 40.1007 so according to that you have the right springs. Sorry you're having problems with them. But as for the rsx, they have different spring. and the 01 springs look the same, but the spring rate is waaaayyyyy lower than ours, so it gives a slammed ride.