PDA

View Full Version : Waxing!!!

Wade
05-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Ok I werk at a dealership and every saturday after work I pull my car into the detail bays and wax it from head to toe, some of the guys were telling me this can be bad for the paint, then some other guys told me its only bad if your using a wax that has a compound in it. Does anybody know the truth?

Thanks for the help!!!

EPHatchgirl
05-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Wax that has compound can definitely cause harm if you use it too much... but regular wax- I don't see why, as long is you are THOROUGH about getting it on and off completely... anyone else? I wax mine about once every two weeks, give or take (depending on the amount of rain or any long trips that may make the egg extra dirty). Hope this helps!!:)

Wade
05-12-2003, 06:19 PM
yea that is what i thought, i mean i was always told that wax is like a protective layer providing you do it right, wax on wax off dry to a haze the simple rules, thanks for the input, if anyone else knows of anything let me know!!!

mrfixit687
05-13-2003, 07:19 AM
wat is a wax with compound? never heard of that before

AkronSi
05-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
wat is a wax with compound? never heard of that before

Something like Mother's or Meg's Cleaner wax. A wax with slight abrasives in it. They aren't as strong as a regular compound or swirl remover. But, stick with straight wax.

mhx
05-13-2003, 01:27 PM
dude if im in PA ever ill make sure to stop by and you can wax mine for me HAH :)

Tekdemon
05-14-2003, 08:16 AM
well there's the theory that you can seal in little specks of dirt over time if you keep waxing like a maniac, and these might cause trouble over the long term cuz you're keeping dirt in...

Beh...I waxed it anyway but I was pretty careful about removing any obvious specks of dirt...but you can't see some of the really small stuff

Wade
05-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Yea i always thouroughly wash it first then i dry it completely jams hinges everythign b4 i wax, to make sure i get all of the dirt off!!

AkronSi
05-14-2003, 12:51 PM
You might want to clay your car once a year to really clean the paint good.

sikiller
05-14-2003, 08:04 PM
waxing your car is bad for it if you do it too much. i had a friend that waxed his car once a week and after about a year the car would just look really dull unless you waxed it. so i just say no to wax now, its the devil!!!!!!

todaCspec
05-16-2003, 12:21 PM
What kind of waxes don't have theses harmful compounds from your local automotive store?

isaac biggin
05-16-2003, 09:40 PM
The best that i've found is zymol.It's from germany.Completly Natural ingredients.Works awesome and smells like sun tan loation.....:D

AkronSi
05-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec
What kind of waxes don't have theses harmful compounds from your local automotive store?

Anything that says "cleaner" in the name will have a slight level of abrasivness in it. It's not very strong though. You would be hard pressed to get any significant scratches or swirls out with one of these products. So, you would have to use one all the time with a ton of pressure to ruin your paint.

With that said, if I were to only buy products that you can get at a local store, then I'd use a cleaner wax a couple times a year. Then I'd top that with a pure carnuba wax. Zymol makes ok stuff, so do Mother's and Meguiar's. Eagle One also makes a pure wax too. You could use this pretty often, but I'd limit to about a month. Quick detail in between to return the shine.

Then once a year I do a dawn wash and clay bar routine. That will strip off all the old wax and get off the surface contaniments. That should keep your ride nice and shiny!

FACTION95Si
05-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Using something like Meguiars Gold Class Pure Caruba wax won't harm your paint at all if you waxed it weekly. Wax is like make-up or sunscreen, its nothing that will remove your clearcoat. The worst that would happen is your paint would look hazy from excess wax buildup.

If you really want one of the best carnuba waxes available get this:
http://www.carcareonline.com/images/10202.jpg

One Grand Blitz Wax

You can buy it from www.carcareonline.com