PDA

View Full Version : Oil?

BlazeX12
08-11-2002, 09:13 AM
I think this has been talked about already, but i couldnt find the thread. What kind of oil is everyone using? i dont know shit about oil, and im using what my oil cap says 5w-20? is this what i should be using? what is the advantage/disadvantage of using a different kind of oil? 5w-20 is hard to find.....

02SilverSiHB
08-11-2002, 11:47 AM
That search engine can be tricky. You have to put oil* because it won't search for anything with less than four characters.
Here are some links:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130&highlight=oil%2A

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345&highlight=oil%2A

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257&highlight=oil%2A

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=935&highlight=oil%2A

JSIR
08-11-2002, 12:19 PM
I have no faith in a 5w-20 oil, no matter what anyone says. I swapped mine out at 2500 kms. I went to 5w-30 regular oil for two oil changes, now I am up to 10w-30 synthetic on my third oil change. Only problem is the dealers will give you a hard time if you go in there asking for anything but 5w-20 as they don't do any thinking on their own. I change my own oil to avoid the dealer B.S. .

If you look at any oil analysis done on vehicles after a few thousand miles you will notice many have sheared down to a thinner oil with use - for example 40 weights can shear down to 30 weights, and 30 weights can shear down to 20. So who wants a 5w-20 oil when it can shear down to a 10 during use. Too thin for my liking. Keep in mind the RSX-S uses 5w-30 oil yet they put the base RSX and Civic on 5w-20 ?, I don't want to be a guinea pig.

For the best oil information check out www.bobistheoilguy.com, tons of great info there. hth.

Joey

Mechanic
08-11-2002, 01:14 PM
M-O-B-I-L-E 1: 5W/30 Marchl to November; 5W/20 (it will be available in the States in Nov.) when it's near freezing (around 32F). Been using the stuff since it first came on the market. Not only do you get the best synthetic for about $4 a quart, when you finally chose to sell your car and haul out those receipts for several years of oil changes as proof that you've been using Mobile 1 religiously, the buyers almost push your asking price into your pockets. Never fails. Great product.

HondaMan
08-11-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm going to run Castrol Syntec 5W-50, it's probably over kill but it provides the widest range of protection available. Here it is straight from the Castrol USA website:

SAE 5W-50: provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W-50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, ACEA B3, meets Japanese valve train wear and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils, as well as Porsche, Volvo, BMW and Mercedes Benz.

JSIR
08-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Hondaman, I think 5w-50 is a bit too much for this engine. I just ran 5w-40 synthetic for short while and it seems too thick, most likely robbing a bit of power so I swapped it out early. I've used Castrol 5w-50 in the winter on my other Hondas and the engine seemed a bit strained on start up, I don't think it thins out like a 5w should. I've even stuck some Castrol 5w-50 in my freezer along with some 5w-30 and 10w-30 and it was definitely thicker than the other two samples which confirmed my suspicions. I do run that oil when I take my car to a track/lapping day though for extra protection but I think it is too heavy for everyday use.
I am sure Honda designed the engine around a thinner oil, so using something along the lines of 5w-30 and 10w-30 is probably all I recommend, still keeping the energy conserving properties of the oil.

After some research I've decided to start running Havoline 10w-30 synthetic based on some facts I picked up at www.bobistheoilguy.com . This oil is very stable, has extremely low evaporation, very high flash point, and has a vert low temperature pour point comparable to many 5w-30 oils. Sounds like a great spec.

Everyone has their own preferred oil manufacturer, I've been pretty loyal to Mobil1 and Castrol over the years, but I want to try this Havoline synthetic oil this time around.

CleanBlackSi02
08-11-2002, 04:28 PM
10W-30 for me.

HondaMan
08-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
Hondaman, I think 5w-50 is a bit too much for this engine. I just ran 5w-40 synthetic for short while and it seems too thick, most likely robbing a bit of power so I swapped it out early. I've used Castrol 5w-50 in the winter on my other Hondas and the engine seemed a bit strained on start up, I don't think it thins out like a 5w should. I've even stuck some Castrol 5w-50 in my freezer along with some 5w-30 and 10w-30 and it was definitely thicker than the other two samples which confirmed my suspicions. I do run that oil when I take my car to a track/lapping day though for extra protection but I think it is too heavy for everyday use.
I am sure Honda designed the engine around a thinner oil, so using something along the lines of 5w-30 and 10w-30 is probably all I recommend, still keeping the energy conserving properties of the oil.

After some research I've decided to start running Havoline 10w-30 synthetic based on some facts I picked up at www.bobistheoilguy.com . This oil is very stable, has extremely low evaporation, very high flash point, and has a vert low temperature pour point comparable to many 5w-30 oils. Sounds like a great spec.

Everyone has their own preferred oil manufacturer, I've been pretty loyal to Mobil1 and Castrol over the years, but I want to try this Havoline synthetic oil this time around.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the extra thickness...I use to change oil at a quick lube place and would experiment with 20W50 and noticed reduced power. I'll probably go exchange the 5W50 Syntec with 5W30 Syntec or Mobil1 before I change the oil for the first time.

JSIR
08-11-2002, 05:37 PM
yeah I would exchange it if you can for perhaps the Castrol Syntec 5w-30 or 10w-30 for daily driving use. One other thing, when I go to our lapping day event its about a 5 hr drive from my home to Gingerman Raceway. When I swap in the 5w-50 for the event I get horrible gas mileage all the way there and all the way back from the track. I don't burn a drop of oil all day long and over all that driving though. There is definitely a difference in that respect. When it comes to synthetic 5w-30, 10w-30 are exceptionally well in almost any brand. Mobil1 should be releasing a 5w-20 synthetic shortly, if anyone really wants to run a 5w-20 I would look at the Mobil1 or Amsoil synthetic versions of that weight.

Cone Killer
08-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
yeah I would exchange it if you can for perhaps the Castrol Syntec 5w-30 or 10w-30 for daily driving use. One other thing, when I go to our lapping day event its about a 5 hr drive from my home to Gingerman Raceway. When I swap in the 5w-50 for the event I get horrible gas mileage all the way there and all the way back from the track. I don't burn a drop of oil all day long and over all that driving though. There is definitely a difference in that respect. When it comes to synthetic 5w-30, 10w-30 are exceptionally well in almost any brand. Mobil1 should be releasing a 5w-20 synthetic shortly, if anyone really wants to run a 5w-20 I would look at the Mobil1 or Amsoil synthetic versions of that weight.

I would stay away from MOBIL 1...I use Amsoil 10w-30.

Check out this 16 page thread on Hondatech about oil...very informative!
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=163845