PDA

View Full Version : NEW coil over kit *inexpensive*

Cone Killer
05-12-2003, 05:40 PM
I used to live in AZ and I used to go to SCO (sport compact only) drag nights. Anyways, I was brousing their site and I find they have a store. So I check it out and come to find out they sell a "no name" coil over kit for the 01-03 civic. So I call them up and ask if it fits the Si and the guy says yes, and If it does not I can send them back at no cost to me.
http://store.dragracing.com/images/products/rd/1127-l.jpg
"Improve handling, and stiffen up your suspension when you hit the corners in your high performance machine. Comes in titanium coils and anodized red adjustment rings.

Up to 3" suspension height adjustability
Lightweight aluminum construction
Comes with adjusting tools"

And here's where it gets really good.

ONLY $129.99 FREE SHIPPING!!!

I also asked about the spring rates, and they will call me back tomorrow when the manufacturer opens up.

He said they are comporable in quality to Skunk and Ground controlls for $200 less, even the adjustment tool is the same!

Coil over kits (http://store.dragracing.com/product.asp?prodid=1127&catid=20)

02SilverSiHB
05-12-2003, 06:33 PM
too bad I just bought my skunk2s :(

ghettoprettie
05-12-2003, 09:05 PM
that no name thing has me skeptic. nonetheless i'll make my order this weekend :D saves me a pretty penny

thanks a lot

IceD out N CALI
05-12-2003, 09:45 PM
guess ya never know. maybe the no name wont be all that bad (for the price) that is if it fits;)

SHAKEnBAKE
05-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Depends on the spring rate and what kinda shocks are you running.:D

Brettnyt
05-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Sounds like quite a deal... make sure to tell us all how it works out!

513n179
05-13-2003, 12:35 AM
you get what you pay for...

i had some crap full coilovers on my ek, and the shocks blew out real fast...

i don't trust products that aren't reputable

NMTSi
05-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by 513n179

most of what you pay for when you get products that are reputable is the name. there's no particularally good reason that some company without a name can't make a set of coilovers as good as the companies with names behind them. in fact, because the no name company is producing in smaller quantities, the quality of the final product may actually be better.

unfortunately, sometimes the no name companies make crap, which is why people buy name brand stuff in the first place.

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by 513n179

I don't see how "crap" coilovers can cause shocks to blow. It had to have been the springs rates or the drop was too low for the shocks.

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by SHAKEnBAKE
Depends on the spring rate and what kinda shocks are you running.:D

I'll have the spring rates posted tonight when I get a call back from the guy.

todaCspec
05-13-2003, 06:30 AM
With the money saved you can get Koni sport shocks.

02SilverSiHB
05-13-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

I don't see how "crap" coilovers can cause shocks to blow. It had to have been the springs rates or the drop was too low for the shocks.
yeah, it doesn't matter what coilovers you have, the stock ones will eventually go out, especially if you slam it.

BlasTech
05-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Anxious to see the spring rates :)

FACTION95Si
05-13-2003, 08:42 AM
They will HAVE TO HAVE an Si specific upper spring pearch comparred to the regular Civic or they won't fit period. I learned this the hard way. If so then I say go for it.

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by FACTION95Si
They will HAVE TO HAVE an Si specific upper spring pearch comparred to the regular Civic or they won't fit period. I learned this the hard way. If so then I say go for it.

Do you or anyone else have a pic of what the upper spring perch should look like? I'm just as concerned as everyone else, but If I can figure it out without ordering the part, ie...show them a pic for comparison sake, it will clear things up right away.

02SilverSiHB
05-13-2003, 10:52 AM
people are using civic 01+ GC and skunk2's and they work with modification. But now skunk2 has a specific one for the si, so no modification is needed. I'll see if I can find the post where someone said what was needed for modification.

02SilverSiHB
05-13-2003, 10:58 AM
here's an example with the 01+ skunk2 coilovers needing modification for the Si:

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6419&pagenumber=1

EP3Hatch says:

esmith13, there is modification that is needed. You have to cut the perch that is on the front shocks. The stock spring are more than twice the size of the skunk2 coil over. If you call the techs at Skunk2 they'll tell you the same thing. I have them on my car and thats how the shop installed it. Hope this helps.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6419&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

EP3Hatch says
I got the 517-05-1710 ( the ones for the 01+ Civic). I'm talking to Chuck at Showstoppers to see what I have to do to get the right kit. Did you get that part number from Skunk2? The reason that they have you cut the tray that the stock struts have is because you would have a very difficult time, if not impossible time, trying to adjust the coil over. Its bacically just accessibility. Let me know about the part number. I called Skunk2 today and they said that the front springs for the civic SI are 6" tall and the ones for the civic EX are 5" tall. I think thats why I having a problem with the adjustability of the front. The springs are too short so you can't lower the car very much without bottoming out. Thanks for your help.

FACTION95Si
05-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

people are using civic 01+ GC and skunk2's and they work with modification. But now skunk2 has a specific one for the si, so no modification is needed. I'll see if I can find the post where someone said what was needed for modification.

I'm not sure about the Skunk2 standard civic kit working on an EP but I know for a fact that the standard civic GroundControl kit won't work. I'm doubtfull even about the skunk 2 kit.
In these 2 pictures you can see the upper spring pearch from the standard civic GC kit doesn't fit the bearing and mounting plate.
http://www.faction95.com/si/gc/gc5.jpg
http://www.faction95.com/si/gc/gc6.jpg

Here is the full assebly with the correct upper spring pearch
Notice how it fits like a glove?
http://www.faction95.com/si/strutshock.jpg

As far as having to cut the strut I think you would only have to do it if you were going to slam it. With the Skunk2 you wouldn't be able to tighten the collars with spanner wrenches because the collars would be too far down on the strut to reach with the wrenches.

BSEVEER
05-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Why do lowering springs or coil overs cause the stock shocks (dampers) to blow out prematurely. My assumption is that an increase in spring rate = faster rebound and the stock shocks are not designed to handle this and wear out quickly. It seems that a mild drop like a pro kit doesn't have this problem because the spring rate doesn't have to be increased much to keep the car from bottoming out. When you lower you reduce the travel and have to increase the rate...am I way off or am I right?

Makross
05-13-2003, 12:59 PM
you get what you pay for

BlasTech
05-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
Why do lowering springs or coil overs cause the stock shocks (dampers) to blow out prematurely. My assumption is that an increase in spring rate = faster rebound and the stock shocks are not designed to handle this and wear out quickly. It seems that a mild drop like a pro kit doesn't have this problem because the spring rate doesn't have to be increased much to keep the car from bottoming out. When you lower you reduce the travel and have to increase the rate...am I way off or am I right?

That's exactly what the Ground Control rep told me over the phone.

BTW, they use Eibach springs, and can get you different rates, when you order, though the spring rate progression curve (they get stiffer as the bound gets higher) is a different shape from our stock, as well as a generally faster overall rate.

Even the ProKits will eventually blow stock shocks.

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 01:52 PM
I called back about the spring rates and now a different guy tells me that they don't know if they would fit and neither does the manufacturer.

Also the spring rates are 450F and 300R which is horrible considering the rears are already 400.

Oh well....I had a hunch it was too good to be true.:(

IceD out N CALI
05-13-2003, 02:19 PM

did u have to cut the stock strut or anything in order for the GCs to fit in your installation?

FACTION95Si
05-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

did u have to cut the stock strut or anything in order for the GCs to fit in your installation?

Nope the threaded sleeve slides right on the strut.

02SilverSiHB
05-13-2003, 03:28 PM

I'm doubtfull even about the skunk 2 kit.

No the skunk2 fits no problems. They make a kit just for the si. We have about 3 member that have installed them without modification.
I'll know for sure tonight as I'm about to install them and install the konis

02SilverSiHB
05-13-2003, 03:34 PM
I called back about the spring rates and now a different guy tells me that they don't know if they would fit and neither does the manufacturer.

Also the spring rates are 450F and 300R which is horrible considering the rears are already 400.

Oh well....I had a hunch it was too good to be true.:(
ah, damn. Well I'll probably be putting my skunk2s on tonight and have the konis on by tomorrow. I went ahead and got everything I needed. I spent like 110 bucks for the tools. I had to go all over to get the cheapest deal...fighting with rush hour traffic has made me sooooooooo tired. I went to the BX, then to Wal Mart, then to Home Depot, then to Lowes, then borrowed some tools from Autozone...wish me luck :D

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

ah, damn. Well I'll probably be putting my skunk2s on tonight and have the konis on by tomorrow. I went ahead and got everything I needed. I spent like 110 bucks for the tools. I had to go all over to get the cheapest deal...fighting with rush hour traffic has made me sooooooooo tired. I went to the BX, then to Wal Mart, then to Home Depot, then to Lowes, then borrowed some tools from Autozone...wish me luck :D

So now you are doing the shocks yourself?

02SilverSiHB
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM

So now you are doing the shocks yourself?
yeap :D I know, I am, I'm not, I am, I'm not, and now I am :D

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 05:58 PM
When? This weekend would be good for me to pick up the springs (hint hint). I have to do some major tuning to be ready for Sunday's autocross. Springs, sways, and camber/alignment.

Cone Killer
05-13-2003, 06:00 PM

I'm not sure about the Skunk2 standard civic kit working on an EP but I know for a fact that the standard civic GroundControl kit won't work. I'm doubtfull even about the skunk 2 kit.
In these 2 pictures you can see the upper spring pearch from the standard civic GC kit doesn't fit the bearing and mounting plate.

What about grinding out the center of the honda perch to make room for the aftermarket one? Or does it not fit in other ways?