PDA

View Full Version : Question on Upgraded brake kits.

Jodster
05-12-2003, 08:53 PM
I love the way the big disc brake kit look and was wondering something. Seen it cost around $700 to do the front brakes(larger disc, calipers, ect.....) than would you be able to take the orginal rotors that was in the front and use then on the rear? Just get a set of sloted rotors that are the same size as the fronts and put them on the rear using the stock front calipers. I was just thinking about it earlier. Would it be ok to do and not to much of a pain in the a$$, or is it best to just get a whole kit for front and back.

hamlet9634
05-13-2003, 08:17 AM
you can't just put the front calipers on the back for a couple reasons: 1) you'll lose your ebrake 2) I don't think the caliper mounting points are the same for the front and rear calipers

the VAST majority of your braking (80+ percent) is in the front of the car, so upgrading your front brakes will make such a huge improvement in braking that rear brake kit isn't really necessary.

I know docofmind is working on an upgraded rear brake (couple options in the works, one which replaces the caliper, and one which moves the caliper farther out and lets you use a larger rotor). Considering the cost of changing the rear calipers versus the performance benefits (probably not so much on a rear brake), it MAY be better to simply go with the larger disk with the relocated rear caliper... though even that is mostly just for looks.