PDA

View Full Version : F/R speaker depth clearance

cmk05
05-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Hello all.

I'm back looking for some more advice.

I'm starting to recuperate from the down payment and figure it's now time to junk the factory speakers.

According to crutchfield's catalog, The front speakers cavities haven't got much depth to work with. They say it's less than 2".
It also says there isn't much clearance up top either.

Has anyone had any clearance problems?

Also, anyone know what crutchfield's mounting ring is like? Is it made of plastic? mdf? How thick is it? The phone rep didn't seem to know anything about it.

ayudame por favor

BarracksSi
05-15-2003, 03:28 PM
From the pics on their website, the mouting adapters are plastic. They look a bit flimsy, but should do the job.

I'm starting to consider making brackets of MDF when the time comes, at least for the fronts. From what I've seen on this site, there should be enough room between the door's metal and the door panel. That would gain some mounting depth, too.

AthlonDave
05-25-2003, 04:42 PM
If you mount the speakers right in the steel door panel you get about 3" of depth. My current speakers are 2 13/16" from the mounting flange to the bottom of the magnet and there is about 1/8" left of clearance.

Hope this helps!

C1V1C
05-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Problem is the hole for speakers in the front door is FREAKING SMALL. I SPENT 2 DAYS on the passanger door already. I am not good with MDF cutting.

My speaker is 6" A/D/S but the speaker frame is so wide, even bigger than Infinity's. That's my problem now.

I can use MDF, but it needs 1.5 in aprroximately to be workable. and the panel clearance won't be enough.

cmk05
05-27-2003, 11:52 AM
thanks for the info