PDA

View Full Version : Past spark plug issue on Forum

G-J
05-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I went into the forum and searched on spark plugs and it seems like a lot of people are throwing a misconception out.

I bought Denso IK20's and went to check on the board about torque specs and some people said our car came with them and were very adiment about their assuption and were almost ready to argue their completely wrong point. Well after installing them today I can tell you....

UNLESS NGK IS A SUBDIVIDION OF DENSO (which they are not) WE DO NOT HAVE DENSO'S STOCK!!!

Just wanted to clear up the misconception that was floating around the forum. I pulled out 4 NGK's from the K20. So if anyone has Denso's installed stock, you have been blessed by the dealership then.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
05-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda has always used NGK.
I had a feeling someone was misinformed.
If you call having denso's being "blessed" then ok.
But I.M.O. -NGK all the way.

dchu
05-13-2003, 12:58 PM
My helms lists gap specs for both denso and ngk. Maybe some us are fitted with densos and some ngk. Nothing special about either brand anyway...they both get the job done.

Black03Si
05-13-2003, 02:02 PM
I think dchu is right and that some get denso and others get ngk. This same argument used to go on at 7thgencivic.com. People finally started to realize that some of the cars came with ngk while others got denso.

My wife's 02 CR-V had denso as well. Not sure why or how they decide which to use, but it doesn't appear to be consistent across the board.

G-J
05-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Unfortunantly I never had my dyno sheet scanned, but a friend of mine did with his mild modded Accord V6. As you can see that there is a difference between the stock NGK's and Denso's. Dont mind the green one, that was his car cold... kind of an experiment they did since he had 3 passes and only needed 2 for the chart.

http://www.autocarparts.com/images/products/Denso/Denso_AccordV6.gif

Gained a tad over 3 hp and 7lbs of torque with just replacing them. P.S. the NGK's only had 15,000 miles on them and they were in good shape.

dchu
05-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Were the denso's the same heat range and gapping as the stock ngk's? I find it to hard to believe new ngk's are so inefficient...it gave up almost 7 ft/lb across the board.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Well judging by the times of the dyno runs, it would seem the other way around (NGK's made more power). Unless he removed his stock plugs, put in the denso's, DYNO'ed them 1st. Then, removed the denso's and put the stocks back in, DYNO'ed them 2nd.
Why wouldnt he just dyno the stock plugs FIRST while they were already in?

DynaSpeed
05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
I think you may be reading it wrong...
The red is first at 10:39am
then the grey at 10:58am
then green at 1:04pm

but the dyno run #'s look funny... like the green is dyno #19
while the grey is dyno #22, (which is probably what you were referring to)

but it doesn't really matter, cuz according to that dyno chart showing what seems to be about 8-9 hp difference in some areas... there is no way that you are telling me that is from just changing some plugs.

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/images/smiles/security.gif

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
05-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
I think you may be reading it wrong...
The red is first at 10:39am
then the grey at 10:58am
then green at 1:04pm

but the dyno run #'s look funny... like the green is dyno #19
while the grey is dyno #22, (which is probably what you were referring to)

but it doesn't really matter, cuz according to that dyno chart showing what seems to be about 8-9 hp difference in some areas... there is no way that you are telling me that is from just changing some plugs.

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/images/smiles/security.gif

youre right i read it wrong, mah bad.
i'm still callin' BS on plugs gaining that kinda power.
if so, stock plugs must've been DESTROYED.