PDA

View Full Version : air/fuel guage

ephatchback
05-13-2003, 11:44 AM
I finally got my air/fuel ratio guage working on my ep. Here's a quick how-to on the installation.

There are four wires coming out of the guage(the one I have anyway), ground, light, power, and o2 censor wire.

I connected the ground wire to the main ground on my engine.
There's an opening in the firewall right above your ecu. I put a droplight in the engine bay so I could see any openings in the firewall. Run a clothshanger wire through the opening. Tape the guage wire to the hanger wire and pull it through. Do this with all the wires except the power wire.

For the light wire I pulled it through the firewall and used a butt connector to tap into my side marker light(you might want to run this wire to a headlight. My sidemarkers are wired to my headlights, they're on all the time.)

For the o2 censor wire run it through the fierwall, put loom around it and run it down beside your o2 censor wiring harness all the way to your cat-converter. There are 2 o2 censors under your car. Primary(located at the bottom of the header). And secondary (located in the cat). The one you need to tap into is the secondary. There are 4 wires coming out of this o2 censor, 2white, 1grey, and 1black. Use a butt conector and tap into the BLACK wire. Autometer will tell you its the green one in the primary censor, but it's the black one in the secondary censor.

And finally, using a butt connector, I connected my power wire to the remote wire in the back of my factory head unit. You need to wire it up so it only comes on when the car is on.

I installed the guage in the dash to the right of my shift knob. I had to cut a little to make the hole big enough, but it looks nice, factory allmost. I'll post pics someday if I ever feel like it.

DynaSpeed
05-13-2003, 01:20 PM
are you getting decent readings with this?

Also, can't you just wire the light wire and the power wire together to a switched source?

ephatchback
05-13-2003, 11:43 PM
The readings are there, but not accurate enough to tune by. It reads a very good air/fuel on my car at idle. When I'm driving normally it swings back and forth with acceration. When I punch it it spikes rich, when I slam on the brakes it leans out. Accurate enough to spot major fuel problems I guess. As for the power wire/light wire, I don't know I havn't tried it, But it seems to me like it wouldn't be a problem. I could actually read my guage better w/o the light. My guage is pretty cheap though. If you get an expensive guage with like 32 LED's in it you would get a more accurate reading with better lighting. I think I'm gunna get an indiglo carbon fiber a/f guage, those things are tight.

tomi.omni
05-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi,

just to hints / ideas.

I also installed an a/f gauge ...

I took the +/- current from the power window connector under the dash (easy to reach, high amp connection)

I took the light from the power mirrow swich (has a small lamp build in) - also easy to reach.

And finally I took the o2 sensor directly from the ECU (in my case a red wire on the a connector).

I previously installed other a/f gauges and know that they are very senistive in view of connections - had some bad readings on my saab due to bad connections / long cables.

Mine works fine, in idle it swings back and forth (ecu compensates), in deceleration is leans out and under acc. it goes into rich, which I find helpfull because after changing the airbox it leand out a bit, whichs leads me to the next project when installing the SAFC to get the fuel back into the mix.

Tomi

Civicvtec1ps
09-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Any pics of where you guys installed a/f gauge?

02SilverSiHB
10-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
Any pics of where you guys installed a/f gauge?
ditto! :)

DynaSpeed
10-15-2003, 05:47 AM
http://www.i-vtec.net/images/Dash.jpg

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-06-2004, 07:16 PM
so how exactly do i install one of the
do i get accurate readings from the ecu or the sensor it-self
i wanna know how to install one

1 fstr si
01-07-2004, 08:40 PM
hey, thanks alot. i hooked mine up today and to the white/red stripe wire on the ECU and it works good.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p97ef0f1681212db1b11bbd4f32c0fc77/fa073b5a.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/pde141a1844298022809d58d13dd0bf0a/fa073b4a.jpg