PDA

View Full Version : well i just installed the oem foglites on my car

mrfixit687
05-13-2003, 10:18 PM
fuckin took me 7 hours!!!!! :'(

i ran into a few problems that caused it to be so long, this is the first time i ever did anything do it your selfer so..

took me an hour to remove the front bumper =P

my alarm instalation interfered in 3 places, where you pull out the rubber grommet to insert the main harness into the fender, my alarm horn is installed up in that corner so i had to play with that for a lil while, and i couldnt mount relay holder to where the instructions said to because theres so many wires there. I couldnt install the switch next to the cruise because my alarm led is there and i didnt wanna mess with the alarm wiring, so i had to install it in the blank switch to the right of the steeringwheel. It was such a bitch, first, behind that blank switch, theres this huge piece of black foam, that blocks all the room, no idea why the hell its there in the first place, and i got so frustrated i started stabbing the shit out of that until i got it weakened enough to rip and tear it out, next, theres a piece of round metal behind the foam, so i put in my switch, and then tried to connect the 5 pin adapter to the switch, but the metal piece is blocking it a little bit, so i was like fuck it so i decided to move the switch out, and just let it hang or something, but i couldnt get it back out cuz the metal piece made it stuck there!!!!!!! aaaaah, so some how my friend wiggled the connector into the switch so it was all good. The next problem is the damn fuse box, holy shit that was so cluttered and stuff, i had no idea how the hell i was gonna stick 2 plugs into that fusebox. Once again my friend came through with his l33t skillz. That was all the problems i had with my install, everything else is just strait forward like the instalation. People with stock car alarms would be able to do this no problem, maybe for the fuse box cuz its a bitch.

Cliffnotes for people who dont want to read my crappy engrish :D : Installed fog lites, took 7 hours, but mostly cuz my alarm instalation interfered with it.

So in the end, after i look back at the day spent, if you are a person who will work on your car alot, installing these by your self is a wonderful learning experience. But if you arent planning to do everything by your self with your car, i'd recommend just paying like 70 bux or something and have a professional install it to save your self the trouble, frustration, and your lower back. :D

Pros: Better lighting, much better. Looks alot better with the fog lites. Another cool glowing button in your dash.

Cons: Its a bitch to install. I had to cut up my pretty bumper, you have to cut into the paint too, i was crying at that point =P. But the fog lites cover up all your cut lines and stuff so you cant see anything.

I'll have pics tomorrow, im gonna go and get some rest because my back is seriously foked up. :(

Suk02Si
05-13-2003, 10:21 PM
your supposed to be Mr Fix It.;) This should've taken you 1hr including lunch:D

Sb00
05-14-2003, 09:18 AM
that fuse box was a bitch huh :D

that was one of my least fav parts of the install

overall i thought it was pretty simple, just time consuming :p

post some pics, i wanna see how yours looks :)

http://users.lvcm.com/sb00/PDR_0126.JPG

IceD out N CALI
05-14-2003, 09:26 AM
everytime i see those foglights, it makes me wish i would have hustled the salesman to "throw those in"

twiztidsals
05-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Nice work and you should be commended for your perseverence! 7 hours!! I have to admit i had the dealer install mine =D
One of these days I will figure out how to get them to come on with the parking lights! Anyone tackle that yet?
Post pics fixit!

Steve02Si
05-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by twiztidsals
Nice work and you should be commended for your perseverence! 7 hours!! I have to admit i had the dealer install mine =D
One of these days I will figure out how to get them to come on with the parking lights! Anyone tackle that yet?
Post pics fixit!

That's usually really easy. Just figure out which wire on the switch is your low beam trigger, cut it, and connect a wire to a parking light wire (can usually find it in a couple places under the dash - just make sure it's parking lights and not dimmer!).

I've never done this with one of these cars, so I'm not sure of the wiring. I do know that some new Hondas use a negative trigger for headlights, so if the headlight wire at the fog light switch is (-), then you'll need to either find a (-) parking light feed or use a relay to convert it.

JSIR
05-14-2003, 12:30 PM
I thought the install was pretty easy , it does consume some time though, I took my time doing it. The car looks much better though. Be sure to adjust the lights afterwards as the settings of the fixtures were way too low on my car, I had to raise them up a good bit.

The fuse box was a bitch, but I later found out that the fuse box slides down to give you better access, by removing one bolt, it was a major bitch to access in its stock location I was cursing it majorly. Couldn't belive it after I was done that it could be moved to allow you to hook up much simpler.

My fogs come on during the daytime with my daytime running lights, If I forget to turn the switch off the night before I end up driving the next day with them on during the daytime due to my DRL's. Mine will come on with the parking lights as long as the DRL's are on as well, which is most of the time unless you are parked with the parking brake engaged.

JLannoo
05-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
so i had to install it in the blank switch to the right of the steeringwheel. It was such a bitch, first, behind that blank switch, theres this huge piece of black foam, that blocks all the room, no idea why the hell its there in the first place

I ran across that foam when I was installing my Basslink remote knob the other day. I was like WTF is that there for? I ended up using the blank that the fogs are supposed to use. It was the only one I could access.

I really wanted it on the right of the steering wheel. I just didnt know if that tough asinine foam had a purpose it should be left there for.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
05-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Can someone please put a close up shot of one of the OEM foglights? I have not been able to look at how they are installed. I want to place some aftermarket ones in the factory location.

Thanks anyone.....

mrfixit687
05-15-2003, 01:22 PM

mrfixit687
05-15-2003, 01:55 PM

LordKoo
05-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Welcome aboard! I took me that long too... Yes, I hate cutting my own beautiful new bumper... But the end work is beautiful....

Be sure to put a layer of protective cover of your lens. Lots of rocks will make their impact known after couple of thousand miles.

BarracksSi
05-15-2003, 08:09 PM
I've been wondering about what to use to protect the foglights. Maybe a piece of Lexan, cut to fit, and secured by a ring of double sided tape?

What else is there? What would be recommended?

chubbychu
05-15-2003, 08:43 PM
too late to ask for a pic of the switch? i have no clue what it looks like but i wanna see!

mrfixit687
05-16-2003, 01:08 AM
you'll have to wait till like saturday before i can take a pic of the switch for ya

02NITEHAWKSi EP
05-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

chubbychu
05-16-2003, 03:43 PM
thanks!

TezGari
01-14-2004, 12:05 AM
I will be installing my foglights soon, when i order them..
SOunds tuff, how much does the honda dealerships charge? if its 70$ i wouldnt mind..Save me from crying, when im chipping my paint..lol

vivid blue Si
01-14-2004, 12:29 AM
the honda dealership in las vegas charges almost $300 to install the fog lights! I am impressed by all who install this themselves! its a big under taking

RedLight_Si
01-14-2004, 12:58 AM
I had OEM fog lights installed on my car not to long after I bought it. I just noticed a couple of months ago, one of them was shattered.The fog light still works for now though,but I dont see it lasting too much longer with all the moisture gathering in there. Is it possible to buy just one OEM Honda fog light or do I have to shell out another $350(or cheaper)for another kit. How difficult is it to change out the lamp? Wonder why Honda didnt make them out of lexan?

TezGari
01-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Im prob going to install it my self..

I called my dealership they told me...

$83.00 an hr, and it takes them 2hrs...So thats about, $163.00!

Wow, i would rather do it my self, plus my friend will be helping me, he just did his Honda Accord V6 OEM Fog light kit..His was a little harder. He is used to it.

:)

LordKoo
01-14-2004, 10:22 PM
I've been wondering about what to use to protect the foglights. Maybe a piece of Lexan, cut to fit, and secured by a ring of double sided tape?

I got my pieces from a local store that does invisible bras. These material is actually 3M stuff but thicker. Touch wood that none of the rocks have yet found their way to the lens yet.