PDA

View Full Version : Hondata 03 Si vs. Stock 03 Si (LONG)

anjapower
05-13-2003, 11:56 PM
So guys it finally happened. I got to see with my own eyes what happens with the Hondata ECU that I installed this past week. I feel really lucky because I got to see how my car stacked up against my best friend's Si, which is bone stock with 600 miles. Note: Both cars sip 93 Octane.

Mine has an AEM CAI and Hondata reflash with 4000 miles. We rolled out on to our favorite little traffic-free spot, and did a second gear roll...twice. Much to my surprise and dismay, we were DEAD EVEN through 2nd gear. We punched it from probably 35-40 mph in 2nd gear at the 3rd honk.

We punched it at the same exact time. If anything, it seemed like he was moving ahead by millimeters...it was really dead even...but i think that had to do with loss of torque with the AEM CAI. I dunno :confused:

However, as soon as we came to ~7000 RPM, he had to shift, and I kept going. I took it right to 8k on the tach. I haven't figured out where the revlimiter kicks in with the flash, but 8k seems satisfactory enough for me. Right when he shifts, I instantly put 1.5-2 car lengths on him. I continued pulling slightly in 3rd, and pulled more as we both shifted into 4th, when I had to slow down because I was almost doing 100mph:p

We took a U-turn at the end of the road, and proceeded to do another 2nd gear roll, and it was the same exact result, except this time he didn't seem to be pulling by millimeters like the first time. Soon as we had to shift, I put 1.5-2 carlengths on him, and continued pulling more until we shut down just past 4th gear.

Note: My friend has been driving a stick for 5 or so years, and I've only been driving stick for about 4 months, so skill definitely could be a factor.

We had also done a 5th gear roll a couple days ago, because I think the reflash makes this car much better on the highway in 5th gear. We started with the revs at about 3k in 5th gear, and both punched it. We were again dead even, but I seemed to be inching ahead by the time we hit ~80mph or 4k on the tach, which is when he shut down.

Well there you have it folks, finally a real test between two EP3s. Although one can say that this is even more shocking since my friend's EP only has 600 miles, mine has only 4000, so it's not like its much more broken in.....
And now for my impressions of my EP w/ AEM CAI and Hondata: Well first I'd like to say that it definitely feels like it has more torque from 4.5k-6.5k.

Below 4k, by the seat of the pants feel, (I haven't yet driven my friends EP) it seems the stocker has more torque. It is definitely fun to rev it out to 8k on the tach, and the car absolutely screams with the intake at 8k. But I think shifting at 7500-7700 on the tach would do the same damage on a stock EP3.

The biggest difference, and it might just be in my head, but the car seems so much better in 5th gear. When you're cruising in 5th at 70+mph, you never have to downshift to pass anyone, just punch the throttle and go. It makes highway driving so much easier and enjoyable.

So do I think it was worth 600?? Well, it seems that because of the higher redline, the 1/4 mile time will definitely be better than a stock EP3 by roughly .2-.3 seconds, maybe even more, and the trap speed should be up by a couple MPH as well. But what I don't get and what pissed me off was how my friend stayed DEAD even with me until the shift. I would've hoped with the intake and reflash that I'd pull somewhat.....

BUT, I think I'll keep the reflash just for the fun-to-drive aspect, and the fact that I WILL be able to beat stock EP3s. That's it for now, more later when we both my friend and I hit the dragstrip.:D

cj miller
05-14-2003, 12:25 AM
me and 2 other ep's raced. one of them was team 5 era and the other i dont know his name on here but he had hondata flash. anyway i only raced team 5 era and lost to him:( hes a good launcher. the on guy with the hondata lost 2 times to him also. so i dunno man.

StrangeShadow
05-14-2003, 01:19 AM
wow 600 for something that doesn't seam to have that much of an affect...anyone else have better reports on this?

Suk02Si
05-14-2003, 01:36 AM
the jump you get when the stock ep has to shift reminds me of racing a gsr. I can usually get a jump on them but when i have to shift I just see them bump ahead slowly.

BarracksSi
05-14-2003, 02:29 AM
What about switching drivers to take ANY possibility of skill -- or subconscious tendencies -- out of the comparison?

kenis138
05-14-2003, 07:26 AM
interesting....

The biggest plus I've heard people talk about, like you mentioned, was the throttle response at mid range. However, doesnt seem worth $600 if you guys stayed dead even on a 5th gear roll. Nice review.

JoshSI
05-14-2003, 08:03 AM
It basically sounds like Hondatas main selling point is the extra revs. For a 600 dollar price tag though thats kind of steep IMO. You guys know of any other places that will raise the rev limiter on the stock ECU?

Skunk2EP
05-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by JoshSI
It basically sounds like Hondatas main selling point is the extra revs. For a 600 dollar price tag though thats kind of steep IMO. You guys know of any other places that will raise the rev limiter on the stock ECU?

Give it sometime, i think JDMHONDAPARTS.com might have a chip for our ECU. Katman will be the man to contact.

anjapower
05-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Well if you guys are bashing Hondata, you should also bash AEM for effectively, the CAI didn't make a difference either. I don't know what you guys expect from a 600 dollar modification on a 2 Liter 4-banger.

Its not like a 600 dollar exhaust would've made a huge difference...it doesn't really matter for me if I'm dead even through the gears because I know in a race, I'd win. In the end its all up to you but I look at it this way: more fun to drive, much better on the highway, and able to beat a stock Si.

David K.
05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
JET supposedly has a Si ECU upgrade. Not sure if it raises rev limit or not, but it is $299. I've heard mixed reviews on JET.

AlBlueCar
05-14-2003, 02:10 PM
I only have the AEM CAI installed now and I definitely feel an improvement in torque. It does make a differnece b/c now i can make power understeer more easily (SCREEEEEECHING TIRES:D ) It does give more ooopmh feel up high too and it sounds nice! I think that the Hondata flash might not have the full effect b/c it's also tuned for new headers. So maybe since you only have the CAI, it's not working at its full potential, which is more reason to buy headers (like i did). Anyways, having 900 more revs would be nice enough for me (keep hitting the fuel cutoff with the intake now)

JoshSI
05-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
Well if you guys are bashing Hondata, you should also bash AEM for effectively, the CAI didn't make a difference either. I don't know what you guys expect from a 600 dollar modification on a 2 Liter 4-banger.

Its not like a 600 dollar exhaust would've made a huge difference...it doesn't really matter for me if I'm dead even through the gears because I know in a race, I'd win. In the end its all up to you but I look at it this way: more fun to drive, much better on the highway, and able to beat a stock Si.

Not entirely true. You could buy a Nitros kit for around 600 bucks and that would make HUGE difference in performance for our cars. There are many options out there. I am not saying Hondata is a bad company its just not for everyone

G-J
05-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Ya i noticed that after installing my CAI I have been hitting limiter a lot lately and its like the car wants to keep going past it. It would be nice to get some more revs before you have to shift but I am not sure that I want to spend $600 on a shift upgrade and a couple ponies. I'll wait for a while and see if they end up with a better product down the line.

RMC22
05-14-2003, 02:35 PM

Note: My friend has been driving a stick for 5 or so years, and I've only been driving stick for about 4 months, so skill was definitely not a factor....

5 or so years > 4 months.
Skill = a factor.
His driving skills > Your driving skills.
Sorry. :angel:

jaydub
05-14-2003, 02:41 PM
When are people going to realize that when you add something like a CAI that 3HP isn't going to be felt? They also need to realize that if you get 3 from a CAI, 6 from a DP, and 5 from a catback, those don't just add up and you have 14 more HP.

blah

BlackKnight 03
05-14-2003, 03:06 PM
I am Anjapower's best friend who he raced against. I too did not believe that he didnt pull on me with the mods that he has vs. my stock EP3. But as soon as I needed to shift he was at least 1 to 2 car lengths ahead. :eek: But let's think rationally here the mods that Anjapower has does not add that much HP and he does not gain much from what he has done. Another thing is that I have been driving stick for 5 years or so and he has not but in this case I do not believe it would make much difference considering we were only shifting up once. The only difference it would make if he were to miss a shift which did not happen or if he and I were to race around a track. I think that Hondata is worth the $600 for the upgrade just the fact that u have another 1000 RPM's to play with makes things easier. Anyway Just wanted to put in my 2 cents

StrangeShadow
05-14-2003, 03:13 PM
so what exactly does hondata move our rev-limiter/fuel-cut-off up to?

BlackKnight 03
05-14-2003, 03:34 PM
When the ECU is reflashed your rev-limiter is now at 7700 but you can rev to 8k on the tach just because the tach is inaccurate. I have driven his car and I think it is a nice luxury to have another 1000 RPM's, Plus I can definetly feel a difference in the mid-range area as Anjapower said 4.5-6.5k range. I do believe that the price is a little steep but give it some time and hopfully it will go down.

redronin22
05-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by cj miller
me and 2 other ep's raced. one of them was team 5 era and the other i dont know his name on here but he had hondata flash. anyway i only raced team 5 era and lost to him:( hes a good launcher. the on guy with the hondata lost 2 times to him also. so i dunno man.

FYI it was me n i didnt lose to TeamERA5. He got me off the launch but i walked him by the end. P.S im a really bad launcher.

anjapower
05-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by RMC22

5 or so years > 4 months.
Skill = a factor.
His driving skills > Your driving skills.
Sorry. :angel:

Sorry I meant to say that skill definitely could be a factor. Oops. Edited.

G-J
05-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
When are people going to realize that when you add something like a CAI that 3HP isn't going to be felt? They also need to realize that if you get 3 from a CAI, 6 from a DP, and 5 from a catback, those don't just add up and you have 14 more HP.

blah

Umm I hope you went directing that towards me.... I didnt say anything about the CAI and its hp. I stated that I hit limiter a tad faster than stock. I didnt notice how bad the Si wanted to climb into the 7000k's until I gotten an intake.
Also I am glad you know that you dont add up the hp readings to calculate hp gains, who doesnt know that.

Do me a favor... Calm down.

RMC22
05-15-2003, 11:28 AM

Sorry I meant to say that skill definitely could be a factor. Oops. Edited.

Now you guys need to switch cars and report the results.

sniperSI
05-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by jaydub

blah

I Definatly noticed an increase in power when i got my cai and when i got my short ram on my EX espicaly.

Also i think the cai at least injen tends adds about tripple your suggested HP to an SI at least at sea level.

Jpax
05-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Well When dunrick and I raced I'm stock with SRI, hes got CAT back borla exhaust and CAI. From a Dead stop he won every time about 1 to 2 car lengths. BUT from a rolling start we were even till 3rd gear when he started to "pull" from me.

anjapower
05-15-2003, 06:37 PM
once my friend's car gets broken in a little more, we'll try from a dead stop and see what happens...and switch cars too.

NemesisITR
05-15-2003, 09:08 PM
Im going with the hondata when i can afford it cause i need the extra rpms for racing. stock ep hits the rev limiter too fast and i have to shift while in a corner or just sit there and lose time/speed until i get out of the corner

umm the hondata is really just an upgrade for rpms, kind of like an R

thats what makes the R so nice, more rpm to make more hp

stephen
05-16-2003, 05:38 AM
the intake alone won't do much. ask your muffler guy to cut you a larger midpipe. then race again and let us know the results.

stephen
05-16-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
Well When dunrick and I raced I'm stock with SRI, hes got CAT back borla exhaust and CAI. From a Dead stop he won every time about 1 to 2 car lengths. BUT from a rolling start we were even till 3rd gear when he started to "pull" from me.

isn't dunrick's car on the fast side stock?

tony speed
05-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Well if you guys are bashing Hondata, you should also bash AEM for effectively, the CAI didn't make a difference either.

the original owner of my ep3 had a short-ram as the intake which suffered from severe heat stroke. The AEM CAI makes a huge difference for me. Now I can pull away from my friend with an early 90s integra easily. Not sure how much different than stock though.

IceD out N CALI
05-16-2003, 01:04 PM
once my friend's car gets broken in a little more, we'll try from a dead stop and see what happens...and switch cars too.

cool, that would help make these findings a little more conclusive