PDA

View Full Version : Making my own intake..... thoughts

02blksi
08-11-2002, 07:29 PM
since I cant justify spending 200 plus dollars on an air intake, im going to venture out tomorrow and buy myself a regular conical filter element, eliminate my airbox and slap that bad boy onto my stock intake tube and see what happens, has anyone done this? I believe on the UK type r board someone used the BLITZ filter on his stock tubing, i figure take what Honda has given me and modify it to work a little more to my liking? cheap, effective, HOPEFULLY --joe

HondaMan
08-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Get the K&N Typhoon for $141.73...see this thread:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=718

2k2civicSi
08-11-2002, 08:13 PM
R*I*C*E

02blksi
08-11-2002, 08:24 PM
2k2si , Please explain to me what's more ricey?? spending XXX amount of dollars on a chromed out bling bling intake system (guaranted for 50 hrspwr yO!!!), or just doing a little wrenching and using what you have already been provided with ie the stock intake and modifying, and saving some money for some REAL performance mods? RICE i think not, going against the grain probably. You my friend should rethink your definition of rice. --- joe ,who wonders if 2k2civicsi thinks a MBC (home depot job) IS ALSO considered rice compared to an EBC ...

A PICTURE OF A R*I*C*E*D OUT UK CTR 214 BHP.http://www.ridgemedia.com/ctrpics/induct1.jpg

David K.
08-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Probably will work O.K.; I did that very thing to a previous vehicle of mine (93 Jeep Cherokee:D ) and it worked great. Just make sure all your other connections to the air box and whatnot are taken care of and you should be just fine. You might also consider how to secure the filter itself, as it will probably flop around some over bumps. Definately not rice if done properly. Myself, I bought the Typhoon and I love it.

02blksi
08-11-2002, 08:49 PM
thanks DAVID k for seeing my point. I will make sure that i secure the intake tube properly so as the filter element is not resting on anything obstructive. If I do not like the end result, I will like many others purchase the Typhoon intake, I mean for the price of a conical filter its at least worth a shot.. Thanks for the reply, --joe

RICE:rolleyes:

DownTheHatch
08-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Go for it man, I just got my AEM for the sound anyway. Not like I expected to be hanging with Ducati's after installing it.

2k2civicSi
08-11-2002, 09:17 PM
haha sorry dawg i was jus playin i just like the clean look of an bent pipe

02blksi
08-12-2002, 10:25 AM
bing bang boom .....
Completed picture, of my homemade intake. My first impressions of course was the sound the car makes when vtec engages :) DEFINTELY Worth it, brings back memories :), anyways I apologize for the size of the pics heres one of them. You can also go to my website to see pictures of my old civic hybrid turbo, and more 2k2 Si pics. --joe MY WEB Address: www.boostedhx.20megsfree.com
http://www.boostedhx.20megsfree.com/images/02si_engineintake.jpg

BTW THIS COST ME 12.74 to do!!!! Not bad if I do say so myself..

HondaMan
08-12-2002, 10:43 AM
Looks good...nice work/price! I bet it sounds a lot like the Typhoon...I'm sure you will enjoy it.

SBC31
08-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Looks good, any tips on what you did to insall this, and what to watch out for.

And what kind if filter did you end up getting?

02blksi
08-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Install:
Remove top cover of OEM intake box, then remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the bottom portion of the oem intake, dont forget to remove the 10 mm bolt that holds the resonator piece to the front of the intake box also. remove all pieces. Use any type of conical filter (I used a cheap tenzo r intake filter bought from my local dealership for 12.74). You will also need to make a trip down to your local home depot or lowes (or any hardware store) to purchase a 3inch to 4inch hose clamp (the stock one would not stretch enough to go back on the intake tube). VOILA your done and the intake is as CLOSE TO OEM as can be, CHEAP yet EFFECTIVE! -- Good luck-- joe

David K.
08-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Shit, now I'm kinda wishing I did that myself. Oh well, my Typhoon wasn't all that much and it fits great. Damn good work on your part, though!!

HondaMan
08-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Or you can follow these instructions for just pulling out the airbox:
http://www.knfilters.com/typhoon/69-1009.pdf

ssvr6
08-12-2002, 02:21 PM
I justified the money so I could get the CAI. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could have made one, but I'd rather drop the $ on it.

I could care less about the "bling" of it all. I wanted one that was flat black.

Steve

02blksi
08-12-2002, 03:24 PM
thanks everyone for the kind words, and im not coming down on anyone that hase a "REAL" intake rather i just wanted something that would do for me just fine.. thanks again --joe

02SilverSiHB
08-12-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
2k2si , Please explain to me what's more ricey?? spending XXX amount of dollars on a chromed out bling bling intake system (guaranted for 50 hrspwr yO!!!), or just doing a little wrenching and using what you have already been provided with ie the stock intake and modifying, and saving some money for some REAL performance mods? RICE i think not, going against the grain probably. You my friend should rethink your definition of rice. --- joe ,who wonders if 2k2civicsi thinks a MBC (home depot job) IS ALSO considered rice compared to an EBC ...

A PICTURE OF A R*I*C*E*D OUT UK CTR 214 BHP.http://www.ridgemedia.com/ctrpics/induct1.jpg
I with you on this 02blksi! I want to do this. Do you know where they got that filter?

02SilverSiHB
08-12-2002, 04:44 PM
thanks everyone for the kind words, and im not coming down on anyone that hase a "REAL" intake rather i just wanted something that would do for me just fine.. thanks again --joe
okay never mind about the blitz filter, I saw your other post

CleanBlackSi02
08-12-2002, 04:47 PM

That's excellent....props to anyone that takes the time and has the balls to make custom stuff.

02blksi
08-12-2002, 06:04 PM
once again thanks everyone, sometimes you just get an idea and go with it nothing major :) Thanks again -- joe

00sir
08-12-2002, 07:36 PM
Just wanted to say the home made intake looks great...!

00sir
Steve

02blksi
08-12-2002, 08:05 PM
I think so to, thanks for the compliment --joe

Cone Killer
08-12-2002, 10:10 PM
I made a CAI for my first civic, 95 ex, and it only cost me $124, including ceramic paint inside and out. Plus on the dyno I got an increase of 7 hp and 8 ft/lbs of torque @4850rpm

http://www.trailingsilence.com/dave/intake3.jpg http://www.trailingsilence.com/dave/blueengine.jpg

02blksi
08-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Sweet, that reminds me of the IC piping i had to make using summit racing u bends .... ahhh memories.. --joe

http://www.boostedhx.20megsfree.com/images/enginedone.jpg

1fastminivan
08-12-2002, 10:19 PM
hehe I love seeing that fat turbo just sittin there.
So your custom intake made it sound different and did it make any kind of performance or did you feel anything? I love how you did that..I might be diong the same.:D

02blksi
08-12-2002, 10:21 PM
"as you already may know i took the homemade route, and quite honestly i can feel the difference even when its 95 deg out here and 70% humidity. Definitly not as many Flat spots in the powerband as there was IMO with the stock airbox on."

as posted in the INTAKE SHOOTOUT THREAD :) thanks-- joe

02SilverSiHB
08-13-2002, 02:36 PM
"as you already may know i took the homemade route, and quite honestly i can feel the difference even when its 95 deg out here and 70% humidity. Definitly not as many Flat spots in the powerband as there was IMO with the stock airbox on."

as posted in the INTAKE SHOOTOUT THREAD :) thanks-- joe
Maybe I jumped the gun too soon. I noticed on the way back from work that it felt better. I'm thinking about running some spare tubing I have to catch some outside air and lead it to the filter. I noticed that it looks as though they did the same in that pic of the one you posted in your topic.

02blksi
08-13-2002, 03:05 PM
thats a great idea, OR you can modify the front tube that went into your oem intake box (lower portion) and have it so that it is getting air routed just by the car moving and have the air blowing right underneath your homemade intake.... i may do this next, but i will need to make a trip to my local home dept first :) --joe

ivetc02si
08-14-2002, 07:01 AM
i just made my own intake and it work good i feel more pick up in high rpm and my mph is more too. it really works great.

02blksi
08-14-2002, 07:46 AM
AWESOME!! im really glad this mod is working for everyone else to.. --joe :)

GeNoZiDe
08-14-2002, 02:58 PM
here in TO there are a few places that could do it,
they have something they plug in to fool the O2 sensors
but the thing is it was sorta expensive and i need back pressure
(cars not turboed) so i didnt think it would be worth it

i wouldnt mind havin smog galore behind my car LOL
screw emissions LOL hahaha

1fastminivan
08-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Well Guys I just did the same homemade intake. All I can say is Wow! haha. I love the sound of it so bad!! The only thing is I cant tell of any pick up or anything yet. I barely just barely installed it and went for a little test drive. I do notice better throttle response. I just love the sound though. The filter I used is a Weapon R filter which I think is really cheap. I borrowed it from a friend so I can see if it really makes a difference. Im going to try this out for a week or two and see if I like it enough to actually purchase a K&N cone filter. I also scatched the intake box on the top part on accident....any one have ideas on how to take those scratches off? I almost kicked myself in the balls for that one. I was pissed but oh well. I love this intake mod. though.hehe My first mod.haha.:D

02blksi
08-15-2002, 07:56 AM
Great, glad you like the mod. Have fun with it and give it a couple days for you to really see a difference --good luck, joe :)

i-WERKS
08-15-2002, 09:24 AM
02blksi

So where did you connect the crankcase breather tube?

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
02blksi

So where did you connect the crankcase breather tube?
I don't think he did, neither did I. I'm going to just get a breather filter to put on it. Maybe even run a longer tube so it's away from the engine bay.

i-WERKS
08-15-2002, 10:04 AM
So you just left it disconnected? Is that safe?

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
So you just left it disconnected? Is that safe?
It's okay to do that, but I think for people over in Cali they can't do that, for emissions. Correct me if I'm wrong but all that hose does is send fumes back into the engine that weren't burned.

00sir
08-15-2002, 02:08 PM
The rebreather just sends unused vapor back.
You can buy those little filters to put on the tube instead. The only thing is it makes the engine smell a bit, so if you like to use the outside air with the AC, it may smell a bit.
Otherwise you should be ok.

Congrats again...

02blksi
08-15-2002, 08:33 PM
dont worry about the crankcase breather. i left mine to the open air its no biggy, the reason why it is redirected in the first place back into your intake is due to emissions standards (the air that comes out of it is considered emissions) so leaving it unplugged does no damage, i will be on the other hand not adding a kn crankcase breather, rather i will be installing a greddy catch can.. soon enough--- hope that clears things up a bit--joe

1fastminivan
08-15-2002, 10:01 PM
have you lost any MPG ? I have dramatically............maybe its cuz I floor it alot.LOL. I used to get 180 or so at half and now Im near half and Im only at 89. Maybe it is cuz I get on it alot. Anyone have similar problem?

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
have you lost any MPG ? I have dramatically............maybe its cuz I floor it alot.LOL. I used to get 180 or so at half and now Im near half and Im only at 89. Maybe it is cuz I get on it alot. Anyone have similar problem?
yeah, I'm losing mpg too. It's from getting on it all the time. I'm going to take mine off, it's becoming too addictive :D

HondaMan
08-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, I'm losing mpg too. It's from getting on it all the time. I'm going to take mine off, it's becoming too addictive :D

LOL, me too! ;)

02blksi
08-16-2002, 11:29 AM
waves hand and stands up...
HI my name is JOE and im a VTECAHOLIC ....
sits back down. :) -

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2002, 05:09 PM
here's a pic of my ghetto intake :D I used a temporary way to keep the intake still while driving, you can see it by the underlined by red
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p855ecd0366481a1877e21880390c8950/fd64fc23.jpg

HondaMan
08-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Coolness! :)

1fastminivan
08-16-2002, 08:04 PM
hey thats pretty cool, I didnt even think about that. It does move a little.....Ill have to modify it more.:D

SiCivic2k2
08-17-2002, 01:49 AM
I did this. Cost me $25 total and it sounds very cool! I bought a filter for about $22.00 and a plastic plumbing pipe with a divider to make the intake and the stock hose stay on with no movement. Fits perfect. Now all I need is to get a filter for the engine. That thing stinks! :) Do the CAI sounds louder. Mine is pretty loud, but you can barely hear it over my exhaust. My friend has a 99 Si and his CAI ROARS! It's extremely loud. I wish mine was like that. Think it would be louder with a CAI?

02SilverSiHB
08-17-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
I did this. Cost me $25 total and it sounds very cool! I bought a filter for about $22.00 and a plastic plumbing pipe with a divider to make the intake and the stock hose stay on with no movement. Fits perfect. Now all I need is to get a filter for the engine. That thing stinks! :) Do the CAI sounds louder. Mine is pretty loud, but you can barely hear it over my exhaust. My friend has a 99 Si and his CAI ROARS! It's extremely loud. I wish mine was like that. Think it would be louder with a CAI?
CAI intakes tend to be louder and deeper. I had a CAI on my previous civic, it was loud as shit! Especially AEM. Get on it and everyone was like WTF!?

02SilverSiHB
09-06-2002, 04:32 AM
bump up for some of the new people :D

TrippZ
09-06-2002, 01:10 PM
all i have to say is WOW...

i had heard of people making custom intakes, but i never thuoght i'd get the lowdown so quickly!

I'm hatching some ideas for a way to get EXTREMELY cold air into the intake. I'll make a new topic for it.

PLEASE bump this up for new people (like me) to see, it's extremely interesting, and im sure ALOT of people want to see it. i like to CAPITALIZE important words. ...

02blksi
09-06-2002, 01:17 PM
WHOSE da man :) :) :) :)

and the crowd roars JOOOOOEEEEEEE

02SilverSiHB
09-06-2002, 01:20 PM
WHOSE da man :) :) :) :)

and the crowd roars JOOOOOEEEEEEE......

....and MIIIIIKKKKKIIIIIIIEEEEE!
:D

K20Death
09-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Hehe my cousin and I did that to his 00 SI back in like 2000. Its cheap and makes VTEC sound awsome.

BlasTech
09-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Props for everyone doing this, especially you, Joe.

I dont wanna drop the bucks for comptech if I dont have to...

Has anyone gone to the dyno, and who's thinking about a heat shield?

TrippZ
09-07-2002, 03:35 PM
i was wondering about the heatshield too....

02SilverSiHB
09-07-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Props for everyone doing this, especially you, Joe.

I dont wanna drop the bucks for comptech if I dont have to...

Has anyone gone to the dyno, and who's thinking about a heat shield?
I was working on one for my home made one, but I still haven't gotten around to it. I have some heat sheilds left over from when I used it on my previous civic. It will be real ghetto, but it'll work a little :)

02blksi
09-08-2002, 08:16 AM
EVERYONE STAY TUNED !!!! GRM inspired me to go out and make my CAI!! So i will be posting some pics for those of you intrested in making a homemade CAI ..... --joe, btw thanks for the kind words. :D

TrippZ
09-08-2002, 12:07 PM
that'd be so cool... of course, we'd get flamed by all D4 ric3rzz d4t p4yd $500 f0' dey sh3it (84+ h0rs3po\/\/3r), b3cuz w3 sm0k3d d3m \/\/it 0ur int4k3 d4t cost $25 y0!

:rolleyes:

i cant get my oem cover off (wrong tools). i spent an hour last nite. anyone wanna come over with the tools and let me borrow them? lol i'll give you .. ... the satisfaction of helping me.

02SilverSiHB
09-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
that'd be so cool... of course, we'd get flamed by all D4 ric3rzz d4t p4yd $500 f0' dey sh3it (84+ h0rs3po\/\/3r), b3cuz w3 sm0k3d d3m \/\/it 0ur int4k3 d4t cost $25 y0!

:rolleyes:

i cant get my oem cover off (wrong tools). i spent an hour last nite. anyone wanna come over with the tools and let me borrow them? lol i'll give you .. ... the satisfaction of helping me.
cover? What cover?

02blksi
09-08-2002, 03:03 PM
im assuming the stock air box cover??? which you only need a 10mm socket for. --joe, hey trippz if i was in dallas i would hook you up for sure! good luck --and dont let the haters bring you down. !

madbrain
09-11-2002, 07:09 AM
I have used one Hot Shot CAI to make intakes for three cars. I bought the CAI for a Mazda Mx-6 but it did not fit an auto so I cut it and made a SRI. I used another bend of the tubing on my girls Civic Ex and I used the last piece of tubing on my EP. I was lucky because this last piece had the bracket on it. I bent the bracket to position the intake away from the engine and away from the tranny linkage. The tube bends down and the filter sits just above and to the left of the motor mount. I slipped the bracket over the post for the battery hold down and used one of the 10mm nuts from the stock air box to tighten it down. Easy, clean, and believe me this thing does not move at all.

Ghetto, maybe but you would only know if I told you. BTW only temporary.

02SilverSiHB
09-11-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by madbrain
I have used one Hot Shot CAI to make intakes for three cars. I bought the CAI for a Mazda Mx-6 but it did not fit an auto so I cut it and made a SRI. I used another bend of the tubing on my girls Civic Ex and I used the last piece of tubing on my EP. I was lucky because this last piece had the bracket on it. I bent the bracket to position the intake away from the engine and away from the tranny linkage. The tube bends down and the filter sits just above and to the left of the motor mount. I slipped the bracket over the post for the battery hold down and used one of the 10mm nuts from the stock air box to tighten it down. Easy, clean, and believe me this thing does not move at all.

Ghetto, maybe but you would only know if I told you. BTW only temporary.
post some pics!

madbrain
09-11-2002, 06:26 PM
I have tried to post all kind of pics but every time I do I get the message that the file is too large. A little help on posting pics and I will gladly do so.

CleanBlackSi02
09-11-2002, 06:36 PM
I have tried to post all kind of pics but every time I do I get the message that the file is too large. A little help on posting pics and I will gladly do so.

Use some program like Adobe Photodeluxe or something that's already on your computer to either decrease the size or compress the image into a jpeg file.

02SilverSiHB
09-11-2002, 06:53 PM
send them to me, I'll post them no matter how big. I have a site to host them from
email me at mhill1@satx.rr.com

madbrain
09-12-2002, 06:17 PM
OK will do, thanks for the response.

02blksi
09-12-2002, 06:20 PM
get these pics up asap im vurious to see what it looks like... :) --joe

madbrain
09-12-2002, 06:52 PM
has to be the fastest response ever. I will take one of the intake tomorrow morning. Not that anyone cares heres a picture of me in the ep coming home from north carolina.

02SilverSiHB
09-12-2002, 06:55 PM
has to be the fastest response ever. I will take one of the intake tomorrow morning. Not that anyone cares heres a picture of me in the ep coming home from north carolina.
nice tat :D

madbrain
09-12-2002, 07:35 PM
nice tat

What do you mean??? I am just about covered in tattoos but you can't see them in that picture.

02SilverSiHB
09-12-2002, 07:36 PM

What do you mean??? I am just about covered in tattoos but you can't see them in that picture.
I'm known as Xavier for my special mind powers......I'm not kidding

02SilverSiHB
09-12-2002, 07:37 PM

okay, I'm kidding, I can see the one on your left arm in the pic :D

madbrain
09-12-2002, 08:03 PM
heres one for ya

madbrain
09-12-2002, 08:08 PM
here is a Paul Booth piece on my calf.

02blksi
09-12-2002, 08:16 PM
freshly done i c. do you use that tattoo goop on it (comes in a small tin can ) smells like coconut, i used it and that was the best i ever used. before that i used Ad ointment on my tat and it SUCKED!! I have 1 tatt rather large as well, on my right arm tribal with a chinese symbol for strength. NICE work -- BUT POST THE PICS OF THE INTAKE DAMNIT !!! hahaha --joe

madbrain
09-13-2002, 06:36 AM
I use A+D for the first couple days and then the tattoo goo or ink wax. BTW heres the intake.

madbrain
09-13-2002, 06:38 AM
another

madbrain
09-13-2002, 06:40 AM
one mo

02blksi
09-13-2002, 09:03 AM
LOOKS GREAT!! excellent job!! --

02SilverSiHB
09-13-2002, 12:29 PM
here is a Paul Booth piece on my calf.
damn! that's sweet! I have a gay ass one on my right arm :rolleyes: it's a damn musical not on fire! lol I can't stand it, I got it like 7 years ago. I was going to have it taken off, but the docs said it would look even worse. So I'm hoping the can go over it....I just don't know what to put over it. I should post a pic later, and maybe you can give me some good advice! :D

02SilverSiHB
09-13-2002, 12:30 PM
one mo
HA! that's sweet! It looks to be in a good condition to keep hot air away from it. good job!

madbrain
09-13-2002, 06:18 PM
HA! that's sweet! It looks to be in a good condition to keep hot air away from it. good job!

Yeah the one on my mazda was always hot as hell, but after 30 min drives this thing is just warm to the touch if not still cool.

madbrain
09-13-2002, 06:21 PM
So I'm hoping the can go over it....I just don't know what to put over it. I should post a pic later, and maybe you can give me some good advice!

If the note is all black it will be a bitch to work around, nothing covers up black. The only thing they can do is make something else out of it, possibly tribal although i personally dont care for it.

02SilverSiHB
09-14-2002, 08:28 AM

If the note is all black it will be a bitch to work around, nothing covers up black. The only thing they can do is make something else out of it, possibly tribal although i personally dont care for it.
damn, yeah, the note is black with red fire going around it :rolleyes: I should be shot! :D

madbrain
09-14-2002, 11:44 AM
Dont be so hard on yourself it will be Ok.

TrippZ
09-19-2002, 03:30 PM
roflmao bandgeek.