PDA

View Full Version : Anyone driven a stock EP after they modded?

kenis138
05-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Hey guys, was wondering...

For those of you who have mods, and have done them over time, it may be possible to forget what these cars actually feel like bone stock.
Was wondering if anyone with I/H/E ever took a friend's stock ride for a spin, or mebbie even checked one out at the dealer.

Reason I ask is because I am thinking about de-modding my car, at least taking off the custom midpipe. Since I got it I have noticed a loss in the low end torque, and recent discussions on this board have affirmed this.

Looking for some input, for example, "Yeah, low end is much tighter on a stock ep, but you will really miss the power up top if you go back to stock"

Lemmie know.

esmith13
05-14-2003, 08:29 AM
I drove XLR8B4U's Stock 03 EP and BlackNRedSi's 03 Borla exhaust-only EP and I have an 02 w/ AEM CAI, thermal Stealth Cat-Back, Short Shift, 17" wheels and neuspeed race springs...

Let me tell you... no offence to either of these guys -- their both good friends -- BUT... Their cars felt like shit to me. Slow and unresponsive, and dangerous around a tight turn over 20 MPH!!!

Now, I'm sure that's not true, my brain thought I was in my own car and all of a sudden it broke or something!!!

And on another note, XLR8B4U took my baby for a spin for 25 mi. on the PA turnpike and commented on the exellent throttle and shift response, as well as handling.... However he was extremely scared of cracks and potholes in the road after hitting one ;-)

Hope this is helpful,

Eric

kenis138
05-14-2003, 09:11 AM
Yes, it is helpful! Perhaps someone could explain this phenomenon and answer whether it happens to their cars as well... Before I had midpipe, when I would downshift w/out revmatching, the revs would "jump" up on the tach. Now, with the exhaust, when i downshift, its more like it "moves" up to its rev point. Not nearly as jerky and severe.
Now, I imagine that this is because I/H/E setup eliminates the backpressure in the system, but I cant help feeling that the car downshifts a bit more sluggishly. I dunno, could also have to do witht he fact that my clutch pedal is not brand new anymore and car is more broken in...

!@#$%
05-14-2003, 10:25 AM
when the car feels slow....u know it's time for more engine mods. ;)

buy a clutch/flywheel (9-10 lb) and the car will be a different little beast all together. I am going to see exactly what the k20a3 is capable of all-motor.

This summer I'm going to be one broke ass kid. :D

CSMsi311
05-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kenis138
when I would downshift w/out revmatching, the revs would "jump" up on the tach. Now, with the exhaust, when i downshift, its more like it "moves" up to its rev point. Not nearly as jerky and severe.

sounds like your clutch is wearing out or is "glazed over".
I had the same problem. I could shift without rev matching and let out the clutch and it wouldn't jerk b/c the clutch was so worn. I put a new/better clutch in and

The "jump" in the tach is b/c the engine is tried to make the speed of the transmission. This is what your clutch will do when it has full grip. When it is no longer jerky it means the clutch is not fully grabbing right away.