PDA

View Full Version : Repairing long key scratch with paint sealant?

Tekdemon
05-14-2003, 08:10 AM
ok, so I still haven't gotten rid of the stupid key mark running all the way down the passenger side(and it goes to the rear panel too...grr)

I used the Meguiar's Scratch X stuff on both sides of the car like 10-12 times buffing like a maniac...it mostly took care of the driver's side(some of the deeper areas look like small chips now, and there's a little indented line where the outright ugly scratch used to be...very hard to see). But the passenger side which was gouged a LOT worse is still a huge key line...it's not through the paint though which is a good thing...

So I saw a reply in another thread about using paint sealant if it's not through the paint to make it the same level as the clearcoat? How does this work and how do I apply it so it doesn't look like an idiot tried to repair the side?

I have in my tool arsenal right now: Meguiar's Scratch X, Turtle Wax caranuba wax(the yellow crap), and Honda OEM Satin Silver Metallic touch-up paint...

I was originally planning on using the Honda paint with a toothpick to fill it up to the level, then waxing the hell out of it...but I don't think it would be perfectly level like that...would it be wise to attempt to use scratch x to buff the touched up paint area and THEN wax? Or will this just remove my work?

Dammit me and the other guy who got keyed in Flushing, Queens have gotten find these assholes and beat the shit out of them.

cbecker333
05-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Dude, go to a collision/body shop and I bet they can buff it out for about $40 bucks depending how bad it is. If they can't buff it, they can at least tell you your options.

Tekdemon
05-14-2003, 08:35 AM
well I'm thinking of buying a cordless drill and an orbital buffer attachment and doing it myself right now...although I guess I could just pay someone else who has a clue what they're doing to do it...

ATRIOT
05-14-2003, 08:42 AM
A experianced body shop person should actually be able to move the paint around with his/her buffing technique, filling or covering your scratch. Take it to them, their proffesionals.