PDA

View Full Version : Koni and Skunk2 Coilovers Install successful!

02SilverSiHB
05-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Well it took me about 15 freaking hours... There were multiple problems. First I used a hack saw on the first stock strut...that took forever!
Then the skunk2 sleeves wouldn't go over the koni insert (not skunk2's fault, but koni's) So I had to go get a dremel to trim it down. I'm glad I got one! Came in handy a lot of other times.
I had no problem cutting the stock strut right on. I actually had to cut a few times before I got it cut down far enough. I played it safe and did a little and then eyed how much more I needed.
Then the axle came out and gave me a pain in the ass to get back in. I had it supported, but left it over night...I guess a troll came by and shoved it outta the way :D
Then the second strut went by easy, I even used my dremel and about 4 cutting pieces :D
The rears were the absolute worst to me. The bushings require drilling to open them up enough to fit over the koni. That took forever. I think maybe my drill bit is about toast from all the drilling.
Then there were parts that koni provided that I didn't see necessary to use.
Over all the ride is superb! I can't begin to explain. It's like I have a sports car now! It's tons better than my 97 Civic EX (it was maxed out suspension wise). I love the ride. I have the konis set kinda high, so I might lower the firmness some later on tomorrow.
The skunk2 coilovers are great. No problems so far :D
I just need to raise the rear a little more...I'm soooooo tired now I can't do shit, but drink beer now.
Anyway, to end this long ass post :D I think koni should have provided the bushing necessary for the rear...I payed over 500 for the damn things....throw me a bone koni! Rediculous!
Here's some pics
I'll take more when its daylight out

02SilverSiHB
05-14-2003, 09:58 PM
in the pic above you can see how I need to raise the rear. The front is actually lower looking that, something about the pic makes it look higher than it is.
I'm sport the sticker for now for kicks. I'll take it off later :D

Suk02Si
05-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Very cool!

A+ for completing this yourself:D

02SilverSiHB
05-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Very cool!

A+ for completing this yourself:D
Yeah I saved myself money and the chance that a mechanic would have fudged this up bad. No one had any experience doing this in San Antonio. The one mechanic I was going to have do it acted like it was no big deal and that he could do it, but the price was high and I just couldn't trust him.

02SilverSiHB
05-14-2003, 10:13 PM
oh and something I found interesting. I didn't need an impact wrench at all. I just left the car on the ground and loosened the nut that goes on top of the shock, much easier. Also, I didn't need spring compressors that I received from autozone.

IceD out N CALI
05-14-2003, 10:52 PM
great job! cant wait to see more pics, i like the low look:)

so how much did all of this cost you? konis and skunks?

Makross
05-14-2003, 11:37 PM
nice work

02SilverSiHB
05-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
great job! cant wait to see more pics, i like the low look:)

so how much did all of this cost you? konis and skunks?
the koni's cost me 531, the skunk2s cost 289 and the dremel cost 80, I needed a new drill, that cost me 27, the drill bit was about 5 bucks, I needed some more tools (wrenches, sockets) that cost about 30 bucks. So the total came to about 930 bucks....that about 600 less than it would cost for teins.

31102si
05-15-2003, 11:06 AM
That sounds like a lot of time and work. :( I want konis so freaking bad, but not that bad.:mad: Does anyone know when the hell they are going to make these a direct bolt on with no modification?

02SilverSiHB
05-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by 31102si
That sounds like a lot of time and work. :( I want konis so freaking bad, but not that bad.:mad: Does anyone know when the hell they are going to make these a direct bolt on with no modification?
koni says never for their products.

02SilverSiHB
05-15-2003, 02:15 PM
More pics :) I raised the rear a little bit, I need to raise it some more I think. I also decreased the tension on the shocks some. I'll being going back and forth for a while until I find the right setting for the street

02SilverSiHB
05-15-2003, 02:16 PM
One more

fishboy
05-15-2003, 03:03 PM
your car is so sexy.:D big thumbs up on getting the job done yourself. maybe a how-to in the future?;)

FACTION95Si
05-15-2003, 03:28 PM
congrats!! So how hard was it to modify the stock struts?

02SilverSiHB
05-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
your car is so sexy.:D big thumbs up on getting the job done yourself. maybe a how-to in the future?;)
thanks guys. It's not hard, it's just time consuming. THere's a how to on k-series.com: How to for Koni install (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_KONI)
It would have been faster if I had that air grinder...I guys it can hold a bigger cutter than the dremel I had.

EP33
05-18-2003, 07:11 AM
I new you could do it. Those Konis were burning a hole in your ass sitting in the box huh? You probably took them out of the box and was just looking at them huh?

u da man:D

BTW your ride looks damn tight.

Civicvtec1ps
05-18-2003, 07:29 AM
nice work.
installed tein ss yesterday. wasnt bad at all.
my friend hated putting koni on his car.

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by EP33
I new you could do it. Those Konis were burning a hole in your ass sitting in the box huh? You probably took them out of the box and was just looking at them huh?

u da man:D

BTW your ride looks damn tight.
:D hell yeah, I had them sitting in the box next to the TV...I just stared at them thinking...I can't wait!

Civicvtec1ps: yeah, I hated having to do it, but afterwards it is sooooo much better.

Just to give you guys an idea of how it handles....
I was on this road at about 2am. It has a killer right turn that goes for quite a while. Usually the best I can do is about 75mph around the turn. Well, can you say 100mph!? Over that. I was maxing out 4th gear, my heart was racing like crazy. The only thing that kept me from going more, was the fact that I starte to finally rub my front left fender. As you can tell, I'm pretty freakin low to the ground. So today I raised it about 1/2"...mainly because I knew I'd take corners like that at autocross...which I missed today! :mad: I woke up late :(

EP33
05-18-2003, 11:58 PM
hey hey hey, no telling of the secret cornering machine hidden within the Si.

:angel:

Be careful and check your tire pressure twice per week :)

I missed autocross at Caifornia Speedway today too:eek:

02SilverSiHB
05-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by EP33
Be careful and check your tire pressure twice per week :)

are saying that because of the rub I got on that turn? I checked it, it's good. It was only for a quick second. Hey, do you think 14's with 195/60 falkens will be okay for autoxing? I have some 14's sitting in the garage. I'm thinking of using those for autoxing for a while until I get some lighter 15's on hand.

Cone Killer
05-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

are saying that because of the rub I got on that turn? I checked it, it's good. It was only for a quick second. Hey, do you think 14's with 195/60 falkens will be okay for autoxing? I have some 14's sitting in the garage. I'm thinking of using those for autoxing for a while until I get some lighter 15's on hand.

They will barely fit, but a 5 inch wide tire will barely be better than stock.

02SilverSiHB
05-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

They will barely fit, but a 5 inch wide tire will barely be better than stock.
it'll be better than wasting my street tires