PDA

View Full Version : 5W-20 oil

ep3
05-15-2003, 02:35 PM
i went to pep boys and kragen today to look for some 5w-20 oil. all i still see is the pennzoil brand, and i thought by now, that they would have other brands. are there any others out there??? also, is pennzoil any good???

SHAKEnBAKE
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Up here, they only got castrol.
Thinking of going for synthetic 5w-30 next time:D

JSIR
05-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Castrol has a 5w-20 which is very good, Mobil1 should be available in most parts of the US by now, it is probably going to be the best over-the-counter 20 weight you can find (it might be a 0w-20 not sure , but still good to use in the Civic). Penzoil is a decent oil brand, I prefer Castrol GTX over it, but still regarded as a good oil.

The Honda and Motorcraft 5w-20 oils are turning out to be quite decent, as sold in bottles at Honda and Ford dealers.

The best 5w-20 IMO should turn out to be Redline , it has the highest viscosity out of any 20 weight oils and also has the highest shear resistant ratiing as well. I'm using it right now , but it is quite expensive stuff. My second choice would be Mobil1, followed by Castrol GTX, Honda and Motorcraft.
Check your local walmart for Mobil1 0w-20.
hth

Joey

chet
05-15-2003, 03:57 PM
I went for a full synthetic brand called Royal Purple

here's a link www.royalpurple.com
and www.royalpurple.com/dealers/ecommerce.shtml

I have been running it for just around a thousand miles or so. The car runs great, but hard to say how much of a difference there is yet. I guess after a couple more oil changes I will have more info.

Mugen Power
05-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Runnin' on the Castrol stuff right here.