PDA

View Full Version : Those who have a HP header

G-J
05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
For all those with the HP header... did you notice a change in the sound in the engine well? Since I installed it I have a noise that sounds like (now that I really listen) a clicking sound above 2000 rpms. Did anyone have that after install?

I redid all the bolts and changed the oil (in case it was low and the valves where making the noise) but neither calmed the noise down.

JSIR
05-15-2003, 08:18 PM
I never noticed any such noise after my install, have you checked the heatshield that is located around the intermediate driveshaft under the header ?. perhaps one of those bolts was loose or missing. You have to remove the heatshield to loosen the main support bracket, thus it could be affected by a loose or missing bolt. can't think of anything else.

!@#$%
05-15-2003, 08:37 PM
did you remember to tighten these bolts? seems like something that would get overlooked. (white circles)

G-J
05-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Honestly I didnt mess with those bolts, I was able to install the headers with a little pull on them and it went into place without having to losen those bolts.

!@#$%
05-15-2003, 10:52 PM
if u drive the car pretty hard consistently, maybe one of the motor mounts is busted up allowing more flex to the engine and letting the exhaust hit or rub the front lower sway bar.

G-J
05-16-2003, 02:29 AM
Hmmm good call, I will check first thing tomorrow.

Hatch, Si Hatch
05-16-2003, 05:44 AM
I noticed the same thing after my HP Header install, it sounds very nuch like valves ticking. Thats what other people that have rode in my car have said too.

G-J
05-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Damn so this is normal then? I am not feeling this noise!

I was wondering also when you guys bought yours, did it come with a new manifold gasket or did you have to use your stock one?

G-J
05-16-2003, 09:51 AM
OH also, this is only heard during acceleration so it must not be something that is lose on the cars exterior. I am going to pull it off today and check everything, maybe even put the stocker back on and see if the noise persists.

Hatch, Si Hatch
05-16-2003, 10:08 AM
I re-used my stock gasket, I'm thinking this noise is normal with our cars, in fact I have heard of people haveing to get their valves adjusted to eliminate the ticking and thats with out a header and before the second or third oil change. If you find out something otherwise with the removal/re-installation fill us in.

simione
05-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by G-J
.. did you notice a change in the sound in the engine well? Since I installed it I have a noise that sounds like (now that I really listen) a clicking sound above 2000 rpms. Did anyone have that after install?

I redid all the bolts and changed the oil (in case it was low and the valves where making the noise) but neither calmed the noise down. [/B]
i think the main reason people hear valves clicking after a header install is because the factory manifold is made out of thick cast iron so it insulates the sound from the exhaust valves. aftermarket headers are made out of aluminum which is lighter and thinner than the stock one thus letting more noise out. i noticed more noise after my header install i think its just normal. just my $.02

G-J
05-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Ya I believe you are right about the thickness and the sound it lets out... Here is the update, I dont want to be a thread ho so I'll just drop the link

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=146762#post146762

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 09:15 AM
I have no sounds like that from mine :) I've had mine for over 5000 miles.

2K2SilverSi
05-21-2003, 09:48 AM
when I first installed mine I had a noise exactly the same as what you were describing. I went and looked back over my install and it turned out my exhaust manifold gasket had come off slightly when I installed it and it wasnt properly sealing the part between the head and the header so I went and reinstalled it and no more noise. It sounds like some of you all might have an exhaust leak like I did. My header didnt make my car any louder what so ever.

G-J
05-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the info... I just had my mid-pipe installed today and will be re-installing the HP tomorrow... I'll check on that and see if that is the same case for me *fingers crossed*

G-J
05-24-2003, 12:55 AM
No change in sound and the nuts and bolts are torqued down too. :(

nighthawk rider
05-24-2003, 06:28 AM
i have some weird noise too but not same as urs.

only happen around 2000-3000 rpm. like some air leakage or metal scretching. a high frequency sound. after 3000 rpm nothing happen.

anyone can tell me y?

GeNoZiDe
05-26-2003, 07:44 PM
had mine on since like late winter, no sound ever :D
quite happy bout that
jus the stupid springs make clickin noises when i turn.... i FU*KING hate it grrr!! hehe gotta fix that still...

Kumar
05-28-2003, 06:28 PM
I've got a ticking sound from 5500 rpm to redline. I'm guessing its something like the exhaust manifold gasket. Anybody else have this problem?