PDA

View Full Version : Intake Shootout...

00sir
08-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Well,

It sounds like several people have purchased intakes, or created their own. Here is my thoughts...

The aem shootout on the web posted that the short ram intake did better on the base rsx versus
the cold air intake. The CAI did better on the type s. I wonder if it is really worth the money
for the aem CAI for our car since it is almost like the Base RSX. I wonder if anyone has dyno'd just throwing a decent cone filter on, versus the AEM CAI. Also, I just got the grassroots motorsports mag and they weighed their 2k2 si at the track, and it came in at 2614 versus the 2744 that shows up on edmunds for weight. Anyone weigh in yet?

Take Care,

Steve
2K2 si stock

nikkotyper
08-12-2002, 02:57 PM
I think their correct phrasing was "in the autocross trim."
That automatically excludes the spare and the jack. That also entails half-filled (maybe less) gas tank.
Also, they have Volk Racing TE-37 wheels wheighing only 8.5lb.

But, they must have shredded some other weight to lose 130 lbs.

xlr8
08-12-2002, 03:10 PM
aem has dyno numbers on their website for both the short ram and cai on a si

02blksi
08-12-2002, 03:31 PM
as you already may know i took the homemade route, and quite honestly i can feel the difference even when its 95 deg out here and 70% humidity. Definitly not as many Flat spots in the powerband as there was IMO with the stock airbox on. Also to me an intake is an intake no matter if you spent 300 or 12.74 :) they both serve the same purpose. While one may look alot "sportier" it may perform just as well as oem equip modified. Personally i dont believe ANYTHING a manufacturer of a product posts on THEIR website i trust the real world people and there opinions and dynos. to each there own --- Just my .002 joe

nikkotyper
08-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Personally i dont believe ANYTHING a manufacturer of a product posts on THEIR website i trust the real world people and there opinions and dynos.

Did you have your car dynoed?
Let us know of the results.
Thanks for this post - it was good. A dyno is the only thing missing.

nikkotyper
08-12-2002, 04:12 PM
and the result was impressive sound-wise; however, I never got it dynoed.
I do not trust the butt-dyno. The power of suggestion is just too strong.

02blksi
08-12-2002, 06:08 PM
nikko Agreed, sometimes you really want to believe that the money you have just spent on your car was really worth it and the good ole butt dyno can be affected.. I will get a dyno soon, i have access to a dyno pretty close to my house and I will be going to get some baseline runs in.. I want to see if my home made intake can compete with the big dogs, who knows I may be the next ebay millionare (selling air filters and instructions, just like the guy with the vtec light hahhaa) ... -joe:D

David K.
08-13-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by 02blksi
--- Just my .002 joe

Don't you meam .02? Sorry, it's late and I feel like being a shit tonite:D !!

02blksi
08-13-2002, 02:04 PM
"--- Just my .002 joe "

no i really meant .002 I DONT EVEN HAVE .02 cents hahhaa --joe:p