PDA

View Full Version : rear view mirror removal

ta2dSi
05-16-2003, 10:16 AM
I know I really should have taken pics of this, but I did it at work, and there are no cameras allowed since I test prototype vehicles for Ford, (and I removed it at work and installed the new one there too, a written instruction will have to do.

This is for anyone that would like to remove the stock rearview mirror, and install a aftermarket one. I have seen some really cool ones in a sport pick up magazine, that were chrome and had flames, chrome and tribal, and all sorts of other ones. I will get the magazine name and post a link.

1. You are going to want to pull out on the rearview holding the the arm that attaches the mirror to the fitting that secures it to the windshield.

2. You will notice that the top will tilt out.

3. With your other hand start tapping up with the direction of force being parallel with the angle of the windshield.

4. It will take some force, but once you get it, it will come right off.

5. Now you have the plate and the adhesive backing on your windshield. Take a razorblade scraper, and start working the adhesive backing off the windshield. You will have to go all around the plate and in pretty deep to get it all.

6. The plate should come right off now, leaving a black square where the adhesive, and the plate was. I have no idea how to remove this, so when I put my new one on, I made sure that I centered it on this square, since it would look kinda funny one didn't do this.

I think most aftermarket rearviews come with the adhesive backing on them and ready to install. It should have some special double sided adhesive backing that withstands all kinds of temperatures. Mine came with 3M backing and I know that is good.

Clean the surface and you are ready to rock and roll with your new reaview!

I hope this helps people out and if you wanna see the finished product, then go here http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12232

BANDER148
05-16-2003, 10:26 AM
to remove the mirror from the mount all u have to do is twist the mirror off the mount. to remove the mount use a razor blade to scrape it off

glw
05-17-2003, 01:09 AM
i believe that the service manual says to twist the mirror 90 degrees clockwise while pushing the mirror towards the dash. even easier...