PDA

View Full Version : tein tech springs clunking

XspeedSi02
05-14-2003, 07:26 AM
I got my Tein S-Tech springs on yesterday. What a PERFECT drop! I would definately purchase these again for another car. After the install was done everything seemed fine. Until last night I noticed a popping sound coming from the front. I checked the axels and they seem to be ok. When I turn the wheels slightly I hear a sort of popping sound. Could this be the Tie Rod/Ball Joint? I know somewhere on here someone said something about that. Someone help I need to fix it ASAP! Thanks:)

FACTION95Si
05-14-2003, 08:26 AM
If everything was reinstalled correctly then I would suggest greasing up the rubber "bearing". It allows the strut assembly to rotate when turning the steering wheel. I did this on my car and the popping noises went away.
http://www.faction95.com/si/bearinggrease.jpg
Try greasing all the areas I've highlighted in yellow.

styllinep3
05-16-2003, 10:03 PM
i just installed tien springs on my ep . great drop looks sweet . the ride is even better .everything wnet smooth and fast . we thought we did good. but i noticed on the test drive that when i turn the wheel left or right i have a popping sound front the strut. could this mean i need to grease those rubber bearings on the strut between the spring. please some one help

thanks

David K.
05-16-2003, 11:09 PM
I had this problem. Apparently the shop that did my install did not reinstall the strut properly. It was not lined up correctly or something. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I would check your struts.

LazyAzzAzian
05-16-2003, 11:37 PM
hey same thing happens on my type flex, havent figured out what it is yet, lemme know if you do and ill do the same

styllinep3
05-17-2003, 07:10 AM
welll so far i have 2 possibilties. one, we didnt sead the strut back right but . i dont think that it cuase everything went back together great . we thought we did welll . except for this popping sound . i did a search and found one guy who said he had this problem . he said to fix it he had to go back and pack those rubber bearings between the spring and strut cap with lots of grease. i will try this and let you know how i make out. man it sucks when you do a mod , and something stupid like this f---ks up the install. i mean the ride is great, it looks great .just this damn popping sound. anyone else have any ideas please let me know

post pics soon dropped with 17 in excels and 45 series tires perfect . half a fingure in rear and one in the front . best match for sprinsg and wheels

styllinep3
05-17-2003, 07:17 AM
i just started a thread on this to . just lowered my car wit tein tech yesterday . great drop looks sweet handles well. but i have the same thing . a popping noise when i move the wheel left to right doesnt seam like anything real bad like no real tesion or stress on anything. but really annoying. we did install it correctly everything seeded back together very well. but we didnt how ever regrease those rubber bearings . so u say that going back and greasing those will make this noise dissappear . please help me ist driving me nuts. it sounds like my ep is sick . she needs help

02SilverSiHB
05-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by gabesilver02si
i just started a thread on this to . just lowered my car wit tein tech yesterday . great drop looks sweet handles well. but i have the same thing . a popping noise when i move the wheel left to right doesnt seam like anything real bad like no real tesion or stress on anything. but really annoying. we did install it correctly everything seeded back together very well. but we didnt how ever regrease those rubber bearings . so u say that going back and greasing those will make this noise dissappear . please help me ist driving me nuts. it sounds like my ep is sick . she needs help
yes it will get rid of the noise, faction is right.

styllinep3
05-18-2003, 07:32 AM
ok this is what is did to lose the popping noise from my install. it was rreally easy. dont know how long it will last since i used a spay lubricant but it was easier the installing over again. well the rubber bushing that sits right on the top of the spring need to be lubed well. what i did was just jack the car up untill i could see the bushing and top of the spring . the i took the spay lube and soaked the hell out of the rubber bushing. it took like 3 tries till it was totally gone . but i believe that was cause it toook a little to get it in between the the spring and rubber bushing. so its ok for now. i wish i knew this first cause i would have used grease last much longer and a better lube. well see how the spray lube holds up with the elements. so for anybody doing a spring install. important to grease the hell out of the rubber bushing that sit down on the spring. i hope this saves somebody from the headaches i ve had

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by gabesilver02si
ok this is what is did to lose the popping noise from my install. it was rreally easy. dont know how long it will last since i used a spay lubricant but it was easier the installing over again. well the rubber bushing that sits right on the top of the spring need to be lubed well. what i did was just jack the car up untill i could see the bushing and top of the spring . the i took the spay lube and soaked the hell out of the rubber bushing. it took like 3 tries till it was totally gone . but i believe that was cause it toook a little to get it in between the the spring and rubber bushing. so its ok for now. i wish i knew this first cause i would have used grease last much longer and a better lube. well see how the spray lube holds up with the elements. so for anybody doing a spring install. important to grease the hell out of the rubber bushing that sit down on the spring. i hope this saves somebody from the headaches i ve had
yeah I agree, try to do that before uninstalling it. I just recently installed my skunk2s and konis. I actually started to get a slight sound when turning the wheel...even though I had sprayed lithum grease all over that part. So I just jacked the car up and sprayed some more. Hopefully that takes care of it now.

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 01:29 PM
I just merged the two threads together since they are related...hope no one minds :D

styllinep3
05-18-2003, 01:44 PM
good idea . its my fault i started a new thread with out searching but oh well i got answers right . welll its all good.

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 02:23 PM
I bet those are very heavy ;)

Si02
05-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all the great info but sorry it was at your expense. I plan on conquering this task this Friday with the same springs. I was going to pay the Honda dealership 288 to install, but I changed my mine and decided Im going to do it myself. I am definately going to grease the hell out of them. I think i read about putting some rubber tubing around the springs what you guys think is it necessary?

Si02
05-18-2003, 05:33 PM
Also is this a one man job or do you need 2?

styllinep3
05-18-2003, 05:49 PM
i ve heard one guy can do it . but me and my friend did it in about 2 hours . pretty smooth. we even had the passeger side drive axle fall out on us. if you can work on a car ull be alright. at least honda siad they would do yours they told me they wanted touch it . but 2888 better then the quotes i was gettign so . you doing good . let me know how you make out

siver-SI
05-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Just wondering I have been warned about the axel falling out and I was wondering what is the trick to get it back in?

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Just wondering I have been warned about the axel falling out and I was wondering what is the trick to get it back in?
It's a one man job. i've done it by myself in 1 1/2 hours with the right tools and everything goes smoothly.

As for the axle, to avoid it, use a bungy to secure it. And I mean secure it, don't let it come down too much, just a little and it's out.

If it does come out, you'll have to turn,push, turn, push, turn push, until it goes in. It's like a combination lock. You can kinda feel it line up right or not right and it will go in. Sometimes it will only take a second...sometimes it will take 20 minutes...sometimes it may take you having to take a 2 hour break and coming back to it. I've experienced all those :D
Oh and use the tubing from the stock springs on the new ones it will help avoid the noise of the springs hitting each other if they do.

2k2ep3
05-18-2003, 07:23 PM
same thing happened to me. everytime i turn left or right i hear a popping sound. well i installed my springs myself and the front tein springs should have been installed with the rubber piece down. it was making the popping noise when i installed the springs with the rubber peice up. again i fixed it by re-installing the whole front springs with the rubber piece down.. okk... hopefully this will work for you guys coz it did for me. AMER