PDA

View Full Version : New to the family...

TheMutt
05-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Well, just hoping to fall in nicely ^_^
Unfortunately, there's no good way to put what I'm about to say...

Well you see my parents bought my car. I'm gonna be turning 16 in a few months. They wanted to buy my first car as long as I'm willing to fork up some money once I get a job.
I tried narrowing it down between an SI and an RSX. Honestly, I liked the RSX a little bit more, but the civic was just way more fitting for my first car.
Only 63 miles on it (all from me and my family), and all I hope to say is I hope that driving a manual gets easy really fast (never driven automatic until today!! )
It really is a sexy car, regardless of what anyone says :)
Goin out all day tomorrow to drive it, mostly in neighborhoods until I get solid grip on this non-stalling business :o

Cliff's Notes: New car... new driver... Houston... White SI, if you see me, don't get behind me. Oh and you dudes are all totally awesome. Pics up later, kinda pointless though since you probably all have the same car.

CSMsi311
05-16-2003, 11:17 PM
I learned how to drive a stick on my Si. One day of driving and you'll have the hang of it. Give it a few weeks and it will be all second nature.

What part of Houston are you in?

Joker
05-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Hello, welcome, and congrats!!
Oh yeah, enjoy :D

Brettnyt
05-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Sweet, your in like the same place I was... Just practice, it gets really easy to drive stick over time... except for the occasional 2nd instead of 4th shift... (See my old thread about hitting 9600 rpm...) ;)

Suk02Si
05-17-2003, 01:43 AM
welcome and keep practicing

RyteN2Ep3
05-17-2003, 05:47 AM
welcome .. welcome.. welcome...
and drive safely :D

bioevolve
05-17-2003, 05:52 AM
You'll be really happy here, welcome.

SiR Medic
05-17-2003, 05:57 AM
Welcome to the sight...

JOO SPOILED LIL' BRAT!

J/K!;)

IceD out N CALI
05-17-2003, 11:36 AM
welcome to the site

TheMutt
05-17-2003, 11:41 AM
About to go drive the sexy beast :p
No time for pictures!

shimmy_yaz
05-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the community Stick is really easy to learn and should be really easy on the SI cuz they shift so nice.

And I agree with SiR Medic: JOO SPOILED LIL' BRAT!

really we are just jealous

ssvr6
05-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Welcome!

Steve

TheMutt
05-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Look familiar?
Still trying to grasp this whole stick thingy (tear tear :'( )
Stopped at a Starbucks to get a MochaCoconut Frap and say a yellow SI, '02 I think. Made sure to park next to it for the 5 minutes it took to get my drink.

golferjn
05-17-2003, 10:53 PM
welcome and hello

oogy-boogy
05-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Congrats on the nice ride.........and welcome to EPH...

natesi
05-17-2003, 11:21 PM
I truely believe that there is no such thing as unfair and that we are in control of our own lives, but Jesus Christ, all I can think to myself is "why the hell couldn't I have loaded parents that bought me a brand new car".

Sometimes I feel really out of place on this board. It seems people who mostly drive these cars are significantly younger than I and their parent's are paying for their car. Quite frankly I'm sick of hearing about it. I know that's not the cool thing to say, and it's not directed at this person, or any one who is "given" a new car...... I don't know where these feelings of anger come from. It just pisses me off cause I read it so god damn much. I mean, I work my fucking ass off for this car and I'll be lucky if I pay if off in 5 years!!

Not that I had it bad growing up or anything, but I can tell you lucky kids one thing: You'll never have nearly as much respect and appreciation for money and how hard it is to obtain material items while your parents are paying for them. Those who are 16 and 17 (and spoiled) won't know what I'm talking about for a long time (like 10 years). Or, maybe they will never know if everything is always handed to them.

No; I never got any new cars, but my parents helped me out a lot when I was a kid. I felt really lucky, and I was.... I was very lucky.... But once you get on your own and start paying for your own stuff, you'll see what I mean--especially when it comes to housing and cars.

I guess the thing that makes me really mad too, is the fact that Ford Motor Company fucked the shit out of me when they sold me a LEMON ZX3. Yes; there are lemon laws, but they vary from state to state. I lost $4,000 on that car because I absolutely hated it. After 2.5 months of ownership, the car was in the shop 40% of the time!!! Long story short, I bought it accross the river and the lemon laws are different.

It's been one year since I purchased that car, and I thought I was over it, but I'm still extremely pissed. I could USE $4000 right now in this shitty economy with a shitty job.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just pissed off at the world for some reason. Maybe I need mood altering medication, anti-depressants, etc. Sometimes it just DOESNT seem the world is fair... but I know that's not true. I just wish I could figure it out.

513n179
05-17-2003, 11:40 PM
wow, that car looks just like mine! :D

be gentle with it while you learn, it'll treat you real nice once you get the hang of it.

i think it's cool for parents to buy their kid a car. i'm gonna buy my kid or kids cars when they turn 16. i may not have it easy now, but i'm gonna make sure they do. you only live once, and it's nice to give things to your kids while you're still around.

SmoothOperator
05-18-2003, 01:33 AM
This thread should help you out with learning stick. (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3983&highlight=learned+stick) and yeah I bust my hump for my ride too. You're a lucky guy!!

SiR Medic
05-18-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by natesi
I truely believe that there is no such thing as unfair and that we are in control of our own lives, but Jesus Christ, all I can think to myself is "why the hell couldn't I have loaded parents that bought me a brand new car".

Sometimes I feel really out of place on this board. It seems people who mostly drive these cars are significantly younger than I and their parent's are paying for their car. Quite frankly I'm sick of hearing about it. I know that's not the cool thing to say, and it's not directed at this person, or any one who is "given" a new car...... I don't know where these feelings of anger come from. It just pisses me off cause I read it so god damn much. I mean, I work my fucking ass off for this car and I'll be lucky if I pay if off in 5 years!!

No; I never got any new cars, but my parents helped me out a lot when I was a kid. I felt really lucky, and I was.... I was very lucky.... But once you get on your own and start paying for your own stuff, you'll see what I mean--especially when it comes to housing and cars.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just pissed off at the world for some reason. Maybe I need mood altering medication, anti-depressants, etc. Sometimes it just DOESNT seem the world is fair... but I know that's not true. I just wish I could figure it out.

HOLY CRAP!:eek:

NICE RANT NATE!:)

I can see where natesi is comin' from. It seems everytime I get on this board, I see posts like "my parents just bought me xxxx" or "just got rid of brand x mod because brand y sounds better" Recently, there was a thread pushing for a "high school subforum"! WTF!

YES... I AM JEALOUS. I got my first car when I was 19. It was a '87 Dodge Cold Turbo (bitchin' car BTW:cool: ). I paid for that car with money I saved up while working full time at a gas station for a year after I flunked out of Engineering in university.

I got the SiR in November last year at the age of 28 years old. It is my first new car. Now, I never thought of myself as poor (I made over $50K Cdn last year) but I just don't see how people can BUY their kid a brand new, $20,000 car. According to some people on this board however, high school parking lots are full of Si's, RSX's, GTI's, and Sentra SE-R's... And they don't belong to the teachers.

Just to give perspective, in high school, a buddy of mine had an '84 Chevette Deisel... And we thought that was the shit!

One thing I would like to know, is how someone going to high school can afford to mod their car up to the yin-yang. I mean, a set of wheels and tires alone is $2000 (cdn). I certainly never had that much money kickin' around as a teenager.

I do got to respect TheMutt for coming right out with it though. So many kids on this board have tried to either hide the fact or tried to say they "deserved it" by "working for their parents". Working for your parents... That's called DOING YOUR CHORES!

Sorry about us old guys making these "when I was yer age..." posts. We are just jealous, bitter, horny old men.;)

Makross
05-18-2003, 09:59 AM
take it ez on the streets

TheMutt
05-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Sorry nate to hear your so pissed off :D
Yeah I will say that I got off easy on this deal. However do take into consideration that soon I will be working not only a part time job, but every minute I'm not there I will be doing time at my step-dad's paint n' body shop (Been doin it since I was probably 10 and just last year finally started painting, so it's fun)
I at least will be repaying a lil bit of what I have had handed to me.
Different people are in different situations, but hell I had a chance to get a car and took it. Would you not? :p :p

mental
05-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Welcome him with a bullet...
ohh wait this isnt counter strike.. lol
welcome my freind...
RULE #1 driving stick without your parents watching your every move will be much much easier i promise!!!
RULE #2 when on hills pull up the ebrake so you dont roll back keep on foot on the clutch and one on the gas and rev the motor and let out the clutch once you feel the car moving a lil let off the ebrake;)
works like a charm...
thats all the advice i got for ya... so see ya and have fun...