PDA

View Full Version : From Si to STI

snubnose
05-17-2003, 02:33 AM
What do you think would be the difference going from an Ep to a Subaru STI? Obviously, the STI would be faster and you would immediately notice the monstrous torque.

But what would be the difference after say, 30,00 miles? Would I be sorry I no longer had a reliable, durable, overbuilt Si?

Would the STI seem like a car that was initially exciting but after a time became annoying because of rattles, roughness, and problems?

Even though the STI is in a higher class than the Si, do you think if a person traded up he might miss the simplicity and shifting quality of the Si?

After about 30,000 miles would the STI still seem as exciting as it did on paper or at the showroom floor? Also, do you think the manually operated intercooler spray and driver controlled center differential are features that would turn out to be gimmicks after a while, like flashing lights on a cheap stereo?

thanks in advance for your opinions.

SHAKEnBAKE
05-17-2003, 04:48 AM
I don't really think that there isn't much reliability probs on factory turboed subarus, given their experience with that type of cars.
And for the features, i don't think they will "get old" cause they're there for performance.:)

Silver2K2SI
05-17-2003, 04:55 AM
There has been some talk about the boost on the new STI and how that engine will hold up. Subarau has a good name in reliabiltiy. I think a STI would still be exciting after 30,000 miles. I also think depending on your age and record you could have a lot of mods for the insurance your going to pay..

TrippZ
05-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Silver2K2SI
There has been some talk about the boost on the new STI and how that engine will hold up. Subarau has a good name in reliabiltiy. I think a STI would still be exciting after 30,000 miles. I also think depending on your age and record you could have a lot of mods for the insurance your going to pay..

yep.

blueiedgod
05-17-2003, 07:55 AM
subaru's are almost as reliable as honda's. ALbeit they are made by Fuji heavy industries, which happen to be assosiated with General motors (that is the connection between the upcoming Saab 9.2 and the WRX) but they have a following just like honda does. most people buy susbaru's because of the perceived safety of 4WD and their reliability.
One thing you should look out for, or i should say i did not like in subaru, is the shake. even though the boxer engine should be smooth, the car (WRX) was not a refined vehicle i am accustomed to coming from Honda or VW. Engine vibrations were pronounced in the shifter and the steering wheel. That was something I was not willing to put up with.
If you are planning to keep it for 30,000 miles there is not enough time to show any reliability short comings. these things show up on domestics at about 45,000, German at 60,000 and true japanese (Honda, Toyota) after 150,000 miles. The reason i say true japanese brands are honda and toyota, because Nissan is Renault, Mazda (Mazuda) is Ford, Suzuki along with Subaru is GM.

02TafWhtSi
05-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Subarus have a decent reliability record. If it came between a Subaru and almost ANYTHING American I would choose the Subbi (except for the Vette of course). I would also sacrifice a little reliabilty for an incredible performance machine like the Sti though.

DjMacAtack
05-17-2003, 12:33 PM
didnt suzuki make the engine for one of the older model cr-v's??

blueiedgod
05-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by DjMacAtack
didnt suzuki make the engine for one of the older model cr-v's??

Gen 1 CR-V had a b20z engine which was basically an integra block with non-VTEC 16 valve head tuned to produce either 129 (97-98) or 146 hp (99-2001). gen 2 cr-v is powered by a k24 engine with vtec, very similar to the new accord engine and same block as the TSX engine.
I think you may have been mistaken with honda/isuzu (another gm subsidiary) honda gets diesels from isuzu, and in turn sells v6 to saturn division of gm to be installed in the saturn vue red line.

the only other similarity i can think of is the toyota/pontiac/ yamaha deal. matrix/vibe are powered by yamaha engines even though the cars are designed by toyota.

minimay7
05-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Are you insane?

If you can afford it, why do you need reason?

It's Subaru Impreza WRX STI!!!!

300hp!!!

All Wheel Drive.

I would do it anytime if I had money to do so. In fact, My wife 's car is going to be STI Wagon. I know Subaru said there is no plan to build Wagon. But, I just know it's coming!!! Everyone pray that my wife's Pathfinder will break down in a year or two!!!

minimay7
05-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Ha ha ha!!
Sorry I got emotional for a minute.

Well.. bottom line is that Subaru is not as reliable as Honda. As far as shifting is concerned, you are engaging gears for all whell drive. It won't be as smooth as Si. Although... it's more of Subaru's fault... They are not known for not having a good tranny.

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. I had WRX before Si and I still miss driving the car. That car is so incredibly fun to drive. Si has it's own merits. But, I am growing more and more not liking FF.

If you can afford it, get it. You will not regret it.

greenguy
05-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Subie tranies are infamousley made of glass. They are the weak point of anything Subaru puts out. The engine will be bullet proof! The car is a race car for the streets. Have no doubts about it, it's ALOT of car!
If I had a spare $31k for a second vehicle it would be, without hesitation a STi !:D

greenguy
05-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by minimay7
As far as shifting is concerned, you are engaging gears for all whell drive. It won't be as smooth as Si. Although... it's more of Subaru's fault... They are not known for not having a good tranny.

If you can afford it, get it. You will not regret it.
Ah you beat me to it:)!

minimay7
05-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Here is Corazon's new bodykit for the new WRX wagon. If Subaru makes STI wagon, I'm getting it with this bodykit!!!

I am usually not into bodykits modelled after other cars. As you can see, this kit looks just like S4's bumpers. But, it looks so good with this car.

minimay7
05-18-2003, 12:16 AM
here is a back view

greenguy
05-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Just slap some Pirelli Pzero's on there and Ill take it!:p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p09725978f7c6964e7df64896c2f59f06/fc2139e2.jpg