PDA

View Full Version : speaker enclosure mod

pimp02
05-17-2003, 04:17 AM
i got my kick panel speaker enclosures the other day and then i got mb quart reference series speakers to put in them.should have some pics up this weekend.it looks like your going to lose footrest though if you put them in.i think i can handle that,although i love that footrest. these enclosures look like there going to look and sound great.i'm tired of hearing the passenger side more than drivers side.i know i can adjust stereo setting to compensate but i want it to sound even at o setting,plus once passenger gets in you have to readjust,anyone else notice the bad acustics in this car with moded system?

2k3vbpEP
05-17-2003, 11:05 AM
What company makes kick panels for our car and what size speaker do they hold? I want to get a 3 way set with either an 8", 4", and 1", a 7", 4", and 1" or 6.5", 4", and 1"

pimp02
05-18-2003, 04:09 AM
got kickpanels installed, heres a pic, they sound great.they could fit a little better, and i think there a darker color but not bad.they don't look as bad as pic makes them look, as far as color.http://www.juneaudominos.com/jonny/kickpanelspeaker.jpg

pimp02
05-18-2003, 04:17 AM
heres drivers side speaker.you can see where theres no footrest anymore.i still have to drive it to see how that is.http://www.juneaudominos.com/jonny/kickd.jpg

siver-SI
05-18-2003, 06:49 AM
Just wondering why have these when you have the same set up in the doors?

BarracksSi
05-18-2003, 08:14 AM
A few reasons --

Probably the most popular reason is to put component speakers in a car that doesn't originally have locations in its doors. But, that's a moot point in the EP.

Imaging is another reason. If the speakers are equally far away from the listener, the stereo image will be less skewed because of distance. Putting the driver's side tweeter by the floor makes it nearly twice as far away as the original location, and much more similar to the distance to the passenger's side tweeter.

The speakers should balance more effectively also because they will be heard more on-axis. The driver's side speakers, while closer, are aimed so that the driver's head is maybe 70 to 80 degrees off-axis, while the far side speakers are no more than 30 degrees off-axis. If you were to adjust the balance controls to compensate, you'll actually end up turning the near, off-axis speaker LOUDER to balance with the far, on-axis speaker. With the kick panel enclosures, each speaker pair will be aimed at nearly the same angle to the listener, and volume balance will be improved.

Like anything else, there are compromises. Bass response could possibly decrease, but that wouldn't be a factor if subwoofer(s) were part of the installation. You would also lose a small part of footroom, including the dead pedal. I've also seen a magazine test that concluded that the best tonal balance came from mounting the tweeter & woofer some distance apart, as they are already in the doors.

Physically speaking, there are some advantages as well. Kick panel enclosures also allow mounting a speaker with greater depth than the door might allow, and wiring could be routed without having to deal with door jambs.

Anyways, that's what I can think up in five minutes...

civicpimp
05-18-2003, 08:29 AM
I'm still wondering if they are made for our car and if so where did he buy them from.

BarracksSi
05-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Crutchfield says that the Q-Forms enclosures (QL-K6007), although specified for "Civic 2001-up", will fit our car. They sell them for about $150 per pair, and theZEB has the same price.

pimp02
05-21-2003, 02:28 AM
i got them from crutchfield,150.00 they don't fit as good as factory kickpanel,if you look at drivers side you can see were floormat is under enclosure a little also the seem between it and panel by seat don't but up perfect but not realy noticable. i like the sound but i'm already thinking of switching back to door,it feels to weird having to keep your foot by seat cause of no more footrest.it would be ok if it was an automatic. on the passenger side they want you to drill hole in floor,i just screwed into carpet.if i don't notice a big difrence in sound when i go back to door i'm keeping spkrs in door.before i didn't have tweeter up high like stock so maybe that will help.