PDA

View Full Version : clunking and crunching Progress sway

Papa Bear
05-18-2003, 01:13 PM
I have the Progress rear sway/tie bar on my ep and yesterday I took a sharp corner and gave the throttle a shot and I heard a major clunking/thumping coming from the rear end. Is this normal? I have 17" wheels with Eibach pro-kit springs. I had not encountered this until after the sway bar was installed. Also, I didn't get the front bar because some people on here had said that it wasn't necessary. Should I pick this up as well? Would that balance the car out and stop the clunking noise? I also have the neuspeed x-brace and strut bar but that shouldn't affect anything.

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 01:18 PM
My first guess was maybe you have an aftermarket exhaust and it (the sway) hit the piping. Try making sure everything is tighten up really good on the sway/tie combo.

Also, as for the front, it depends on what you are after. Without the front you will be able to get a little oversteer. But with the front upgraded you won't be able to bring the ass end of the car around as easily. It really depends on your driving characteristics. I don't think it would help even anything out. Cone Killer has one on his car and hasn't had any problems that you experience. Hopefully it's just something you need to tighten up. I hope you didn't tear your subframe, as the progress comes with the necessary hardware to insure this doesn't happen.

Papa Bear
05-18-2003, 01:36 PM
I still have the stock exhaust but the sway bar was rubbing at first. Does the exhaust move around a lot ( say two three inches) from side to side when you corner hard? I put a rubber gasket around the sway bar to get rid of a rattle upon cold start up so it may be that. It just sounded louder like something hitting the bottom of the car real hard and some crunching. Could a spring have been jared loose or something?

02SilverSiHB
05-18-2003, 01:37 PM
The exhaust does move around a little. I doubt you were rubbing since you're only dropped with prokit. strange I have no idea. Has it done this anymore?

2k2civicSi
05-18-2003, 02:55 PM
you dont really think about this but you might have got one of your rear wheels off the ground

ep88
05-18-2003, 08:22 PM
i haven't experienced that yet when im taking a hard turn but mine does make a clunking sound at cold start( sway touching the muffler ). btw, im dropped with sportlines
i duno man, check all the bolts/clearance :o

EP33
05-19-2003, 12:12 AM
More things to check: is that the bar is centered across the mounts. Also, did you install the sway bar "creep" preventers. The four C clamps that bolt together to make two sway bar clamps they butt up against the actual C clamps that hold the sway to the brace.

Well I did all that stuff I just asked you, even beat a dent in my muffler and I still get alot of exhaust movement.

soniccar
05-19-2003, 07:42 PM
The wife's EX did that after installing a rear swaybar off an Si. But the problem was just loose bolts where it attached to the frame. If you checked that, I have to believe it is hitting the exhaust. I am certain your springs were clocked correctly. It must be hitting the exhaust. Try wrapping some high heat insulation tape around the bar in the area of the exhaust. If the sound changes or dulls, it must be hitting the exhaust. Tighten up the muffler hanger with a tie wrap.

Papa Bear
05-20-2003, 07:01 AM
I am pretty sure that the muffler is hitting the sway bar. I was thinking about going with the Borla exhaust, but it looks just as big as the stock muffler, so I would probably experience the same noise. Maybe HKS?