PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

C1V1C
05-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Finally, the semester is over. It is time to do my car audio, those speakers in my living room are begging to be installed.

So I went to West Marine shop to buy some Fiberglass Material and resins. I bought:

1. West System 105 Resin
2. West System 206 Slow Hardener.
3. Mini Pump Sets, Brush and Fiberglass ribbon or mat.

Total $80.00

What I did:

1. Use paper to trace the shape of the bottom. I use MDF for this purpose.
2. Cut the MDF according to your tracing paper. Always cut bigger and trim later, I was almost 1" off.
3. Use Aluminum Foil and Masking tape to cover the panel. Start from bottom to top, so the resin will drip inside the foil.
4. Mix the resin and hardener, apply it as the first layer.
5. Apply the Fiberglass then soak it with resin using the brush. Thicker is better, since you will have at least .5 to .75 in thick of fiberglass.
6. I apply 2-3 layers of fiberglass and now waiting for it to cure.

That's all I have done for today. I will keep posting for updates.

NOTE: This is my first time, I just want to share :)

Speck
05-18-2003, 06:49 PM
NJ C1V1C!!! Please! Keep us posted!!! I have been wanting to try this... but it scares the hell outta me :) Going to do it eventually anyways.

-=speck=-

C1V1C
05-18-2003, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I am curious too. Seeing the images on Alpine website, makes me drool and want to do it my self. However it is not as easy as it seems. and cost more too, comparing to buying an already made boxes.

Today, I found out that cutting the MDF using the power rotary tool is not that easy, I couldn't make a straight cut. and HELL.... :mad: the sound is so LOUD. I don't have a garage and have to do it in my living room. :(

Civicvtec1ps
05-18-2003, 07:50 PM
cant wait to see final turnout

C1V1C
05-25-2003, 09:11 PM
DREMEL is not coming, and I am stuck with passanger side Speaker install. I'll do the fiberglass later on.

gotoevolution
05-26-2003, 05:31 AM
What exactly are you trying to do in fiberglass if you don't mind me asking, I'm about to start doing my fiberglass work to my trunk, maybe we can help each other

C1V1C
05-26-2003, 07:11 AM
well, I was about to put a sub enclosure against the panel in the trunk. I laid aluminum foil and apply the first layer of resin. It is hard like a stone now, but I need to trim the edges and continue with the front part.

I do not have any garage nor tools like average american do. I am just a student here, from the other side of earth. Basically I just need a tool to trim that sh**. :D

swapp99
05-26-2003, 11:53 PM
:p :p :p Please keep us updated:eek: :eek: I want to do the same. Would like to take up the challenge but don't know how. would love to learn how..DIY..

raiyo
05-28-2003, 07:13 PM
I wanna see the finish product so I can envy you. :p

C1V1C
06-17-2003, 08:59 PM
OK Guys, Sorry for a long update. I was so busy.

here I attach some more pics.

http://www.choco-lab.com/audio/blk-cloth.jpg

http://www.choco-lab.com/audio/mid-back.jpg

http://www.choco-lab.com/audio/final-top.jpg

http://www.choco-lab.com/audio/final-back.jpg

C1V1C
06-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Conclusion :

1. Fitment : No Good. There are 0.5 in off on some sides
2. Cost : $100 - $150 <-- Could be less, that was due to expensive resin

I found out that my hardwork doesn't really pay off. Well, It is my first time dealing with fiberglass resin and bondo. I made some mistakes in steps so that my shape changes a little bit here and there. Here I summarize what you should do.

First of all, I will summarize Material that you will need.

1. 1 Gallon of Fiberglass Resin by Bondo. It is not the best, but worth the cost $10 per quart at Home Depot Paint Department, cheaper if you buy it per gallon, volume wise. I used West System, it costed me 4 times more expensive. $30

2. Extra Hardener for the resin, you'lll need more. $7

3. Fiberglass Mat or Cloth : First, I used good quality of fiberglass cloth $10/Yard (Transparent result, see pictures). Then I tried to use regular fabric, which is stretchable, but not too stretchy. On Sale : $2/ Yard. Get 2 Yards just in case. $4

4. MDF Panel : Get one .5 in or .75 Thick. $5

5. Brushes : Buy disposable wooden brush. $0.80/Each. I wasted 10-12 of those. Yes, I cannot use it again once the resin hardened. $10

6. Plastic cups : To mix the resin $0.50

7. Roller : To roll the aluminum foil

8. Masking Tape : to cover the whole panel you are working on

9. Spray Adhesive : To stick the aluminum foil to the masking tape

10. Putty : for finishing $7

Total : $70 - $100 depending on size.

STEPS

1. Cover the car panel with Masking tape, make sure no open spots, you will spray Adhesive to it.

2. Spray the adhesive to masking tape and cover it with aluminum foil. Use roller to flatten the foil. Wavy foil will cause your foil to stick into the fiberglass once hardened.

3. Mix the resin and hardener according to the direction, and apply the first layer.

4. While waiting Cut the MDF panel according to you subwoofer size. also prepare some supports for the ring.

5. Once the resin hardened, mark the excessive areas. Take it off and trim the edges. Dremel is recommended.

6. Apply the next layer until desired thickness 0.5 - 0.75 thick.

7. Put the MDF ring and position it as you want it to be. Check the depth before finalizing. Then glue it.

8. Lay the fabric on top of the ring and staple it, stech it up to the edges of the fiberglass.

9. Apply resin to the fabric for a few layers.

10. Done !! use bondo and sand paper for finishing.

11: Do not forget to make holes for wire connection.

C1V1C
06-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Will post more pictures on "Fiberglass Project II"

This time, it will rock !! I'll post pictures of each steps.

EP3smoker
06-24-2003, 07:16 PM
rookie... dont use bondo on the side of the encloser that will flat against a panel. there is no need for it because you'll 1. never see it 2. he resin and foil mold is a perfect fit. man. if you got any questions about fiber glass enclosers fell free to ask. here is the latest box i built last week for a customer a work.

EP3smoker
06-24-2003, 07:20 PM

EP3smoker
06-24-2003, 07:27 PM

EP3smoker
06-24-2003, 07:30 PM

EP3smoker
06-24-2003, 07:32 PM

EP3smoker
06-24-2003, 07:35 PM

C1V1C
06-24-2003, 07:38 PM
True ... I thought about that after everything is done .... :) Well , it's my first time, remember :) .... I'll ask you later for more questions :)

Don't worry .... next one will be better than your MTX box :) Hopefully :) hehehheeh

greenguy
06-24-2003, 07:52 PM
"Holy need to resize those pics Batman!":eek: :eek:

swapp99
06-24-2003, 10:07 PM
I feel for you man. Fiberglass is a bitch to get it right the first time. But what can they say about us rookies taking up the challenge in DIY. It is statisfying knowing we did it ourself and along the way giving others the insite of what we learned through our mistakes:confused:
KEEP IT UP!! Looking forward to see the final fit.

BlasTech
06-25-2003, 07:26 AM
I spray silicone grease onto my molds to keep the resin from sticking... PAM

EP3smoker
06-25-2003, 09:46 AM
it took me alittle while to learn the tricks and trades of fiber glass and bondo . the more you play with it i promise the better you'll get. i'm really excided to see you custom box . i have yet to start mine. "really have no time". oh. and sorry about those HUGE ass pictures. if you need any kink of help just ask.

gotoevolution
06-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Instead of using all this crazy stuff you people are saying like Pam and oil or whatever, just buy the blue 3M painters tape, one side is the adhesive side and the other side is already layered with vaseline so you just put it on, the sell it in a very big pack at home depot for like $38 and it better to buy it in that amount and for fiberglass and bondo, resin and harderner, it's better off if you live near a Boat Store, they will sell all that at cheaper prices that anywhere else and as for the bondo, try using the Bondo-Glass or Dura-Glass, it's the same as bondo but with added fiberglass for a harder finish and it is still real easy to sand but since your dealing with base, you want it to look good and not crack, that's what I always do, I'll post pic's of my setup in about 2 weeks when I'm done, 4 Kicker Comp VR 8's in the trunk, 2 on each side out of fiberglass and 2 Kicker Resolution Mid Bass 8's on the roof inside the car towards the back, (over the back seat)

EP3smoker
06-27-2003, 08:42 AM
keep me posted i really want to see the 4 8's. it should sound really clean.

jandetuning
06-29-2003, 10:26 PM

jandetuning
06-29-2003, 10:27 PM
I still have several cosmetic panels to fabricate, but everything is in place and hooked up.

swapp99
06-30-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by jandetuning
I still have several cosmetic panels to fabricate, but everything is in place and hooked up.

Nice! Here is mine :D one JL 12..note that amp is now under the front seatshttp://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=172444#post172444