PDA

View Full Version : Hub Centric Ring on Rotas

DHeffernan
05-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Hub Centric Ring on Rotas... how important? What are the benefits, and how much? I have them on my car now, and all seems to be good for me.

chet
05-18-2003, 10:06 PM
When I ordered my Slipstreams, the guy asks if I want the hub rings with the wheels. I wasn't sure why, so I asked, and he basically said it takes some of the pressure off of the lugs, and puts it into the wheel itself. So I imagine they're helpful, I haven't driven on my slips without them, I don't know what the difference would be. Basically a more secure fit and less chance of damage.

Hopefully someone else with some knowledge of this will post and help us out. That's my 2cents!! Hope it helped a little.

DHeffernan
05-19-2003, 05:18 AM
Cool, thanks for your help man. How much extra were they, do you know?

AkronSi
05-19-2003, 05:44 AM
It's funny that you should ask this. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I got a newsletter in the mail from a local Honda dealer and they had a section on how aftermarket parts can screw up your car. I general don't pay attention to those sort of things, but I read it anyway.

They had a little blurb about aftermarket wheels. From what they said, all Honda's are hub-centric. This means that the wheel is centered on the hub, rather than the lug nuts. Apparently if the wheel isn't centered on the hub, then the wheels can shimmy and wobble, even when tightened properly.

It's something that I was unaware of before. That's for sure.

oogy-boogy
05-19-2003, 06:50 AM
I believe that they are used to center the rim on the hub....

The OD of the hub as compared to the ID on the rim can sometimes be off by a few millimeters. This helps line the 2 up.

BlasTech
05-19-2003, 07:24 AM
You can get em in plastic or maybe metal, but dont let em charge you more than around $10. They should throw em in for free, really.

chet
05-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by DHeffernan
Cool, thanks for your help man. How much extra were they, do you know?

Blastech's right. Don't pay more than 10 or 12 bucks. I think the guy charged me 10 for mine. Just depends I guess. Mine were metal btw.

FACTION95Si
05-19-2003, 03:56 PM
I don't have any balancing problems (steerigwheel shakes) with my Slipstreams but I would still like to get some hubcentric rings. Anyone know where I can get some for my Slipstreams?

todaCspec
05-20-2003, 07:26 AM
i usually put them in the rim, but one time i went to get my new tires balanced and the the guy put them on the hub. Then he put the rims on.

When i took off my rims off the hub centric rings were still on the hub. Is there a particular way of putting these on?

Also it better to get plastic hub centric rings as opposed to metal ones because of rust. I've heard of some people not being able to take them out later.

BlasTech
05-20-2003, 07:36 AM
I put em on the hub, and I added a pair of pliers to my toolkit, since the rust from the hub will hold even the plastic ones tight, I'm glad I didnt get metal though, I'd hate for them to rust.

i-WERKS
05-20-2003, 08:06 AM
I got them for my wheels. When I tightened them up. They cracked. I heard a big SNAP then took off the wheel and found that they're pretty much useless. There is already a part on the hub that performs this function and that piece was blocking the ring from being flush with the hub there for with enough pressure, it snapped. I took them off and my car runs fine. What a waste of money

BlasTech
05-20-2003, 09:03 AM
hmmm, sounds like you either got one size too thick, or your wheels had the right size hub anyway. I dont think you can damage them by over tightening if they are the right size...