PDA

View Full Version : what does a clay bar do?

dustinhurley
05-18-2003, 09:47 PM
I've never used a clay bar. What does it do? In what order should I use clay bar?

Silver2K2SI
05-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Created to lift the particulate debris and contaminants that washing can't, our exclusive Paint Saving System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn't hazardous to your paint-it's just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers

TravisEP3
05-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Yep, it removes impurities that washing and waxing cant. Great for very tiny external rust spots, bugs, sap, smudges not removed with washing. Order of use is, wash car, dry car. Mothers Instructions follow - Use the detailer spray in the kit and wet small area, rub lightly and quickly with clay bar. Wax to keep great finish. ;)

sniperSI
05-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Yup,

The way we used to sell clients is, put your fingers in a cig pack rapper, or any plastic and just gently rub the surface of the car, you can feel all kinds of bumps and imperfections, the clay will suck it all out.

Civilian
07-19-2004, 12:14 PM
After reading on this board the magic of a clay bar, I went out an bought one this past weekend. My white paint has lots of very tiny specks of black in it that I was hoping the bar would remove.

However, when I used a clay bar, it didn't seem to do much. As advertised, it did seem to remove the "rough" grit I can feel, but it didn't remove any of the stuff that I can actually see.

I followed the instructions on the box (I don't remember the brand, but I'm guessing they're all basically the same) -- washed, dried, sprayed the lubricant and rubbed.

Am I expecting too much out of the bar?

cdr127
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
May be take a picture of some of the visable marks on your car. Can they be felt, are that under clear, in the clear, or posible in the base coat. Clar bar will remove impuites form the surface of the clear. Any thing that is deaper will require buffing, wet sanding or posible painting.

tcostello3
07-19-2004, 01:59 PM
If your'e trying to remove some form of overspray or asphalt you can flatten out a piece if clay and use it with a buffer/polisher.
Lubricate a lot! The clay will remove this type of stuff you just gotta work it hard...lots-o-lube...very important...lubricate!

Chinaboy
07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
read my sticky on detailing cars....

the clay will take out stuff that you see too... but try to adjust the lub... too much and it will slide WAY too much and not pick up anything... make sure that the clay bar is sliding back and foruth... but can cling on to the surface of the car panels

02epsi
07-19-2004, 11:45 PM
well,

my experience with the bar is that it REALLY works!!!! I use it all my cars.

flatten the bar, then rub away with lubricant sprayed on. this way it has more surface area. use a raga and buff to a shine. then wax.

it will almost feel like it came off the showroom!!!

pz

Civilian
07-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your opinions. I'll give it another shot this weekend.

ep3time
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
pulls off ALL the pollution from the paint ! and it makes it smooth, like out of the dealer smooth.

cdr127
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I posted on this thread in 2004, then out of the blue I see that it has been updated. I can't even remember the last time I read this forum. .... wonder why i stopped this forum rocks........ oh yeah thats right I got married and she took all my time and money :mbiggrin:

Well good luck with the clay bar, but if you haven't figured out what a claybar is for after 4 years, nobody can help you.