PDA

View Full Version : Home made shortie intake done...

02SilverSiHB
08-13-2002, 10:45 AM
I really don't care for it. I did the same as 02blksi (or whatever the screen name is) and I could hear a difference, but performance wise, it felt worse. It sounds fast, but it's not, so I kinda feel stupid getting on it, making all that noise for nothing. I'm putting my stock one back together. I didn't waste any money thank God. I had a KN cone filter already. If I ever do get an intake it will be an injen cai. Shorties just pull in too much hot air, even a heat sheild isn't going to help all that much, as the heat is completely surrounding the filter under the hood.
Also, I really think our stock one is pretty good. The only thing bad about it is that tubing that goes from intake box to the front of the car near the grill. I think if I replace that with a bigger one that grabs air from the front of the grill that will help, not a lot, but more than this thing.
Oh well, just my .02

SLOlife
08-13-2002, 10:55 AM
I agree with everything that you said. I think that the stock air box is very good. It is not like my friends 92 Si where the piping was the size of my thumb and was bent many different times to get air from behind the headligt and from the bumper. Adding an intake on that car did alot and was worth the money.

For me I am waiting for the ice box from Comptech, I think that will be the only intake worth the money for true cold air performance, quality and water worry free.

02SilverSiHB
08-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SLOlife
I agree with everything that you said. I think that the stock air box is very good. It is not like my friends 92 Si where the piping was the size of my thumb and was bent many different times to get air from behind the headligt and from the bumper. Adding an intake on that car did alot and was worth the money.

For me I am waiting for the ice box from Comptech, I think that will be the only intake worth the money for true cold air performance, quality and water worry free.
And I agree with everything you just said :D I can't wait till Comptech comes out with the Icebox for our cars

02blksi
08-13-2002, 02:01 PM
i dont see what you were expecting in adding a short ram intake??? I mean what did you think you would feel 50 horsepower???? an intake is an intake is an intake plain and simple my homemade poor shit, could be maybe possibly (could actually perform better ) be .23456789 less peak horsepower than a "REAL NAME BRAND" intake. do what you want i wasnt trying to say in my post that MY intake beats AEM, never made that claim, rather i saved about 180 plus dollars and got reasonably the same net result... I just know that in the long run a CAI isnt worth it for me but for others it may be, the concept sounds good but in the end the results are once again similar to some short rams (at low speeds).. ahh well good luck, im sorry if i steered you into the wrong direction ... i still am a firm believer in oem equip. also, and the ice box's are very nice , but yet again i just cant get over the non cost effectiveness of the product. Am i really going to be traveling at 100mph to get the full effect of a cai? I think not... --- joe

00sir
08-13-2002, 02:17 PM
You have to remember the whole reason for getting a different intake is ...
1. Less restriction.
2. looks.
3. try to lower intake air temps.

So, is it less restrictive, probably.
Does it look good.. sure!
Is it lowering intake temps... nope.

Short air intakes make improvements on the dyno cause the techs performing the dyno will open the hood, and use fans on the engine... some will say
"this simulates driving". Yeah right...

The best thing to do is to close the hood, and dyno the car with fans blowing on the outside of the hood. Even the CAIs will only make a little bit of peak power of stock.. 3 to 5 hp.

I still think the idea is great for the money.
If you are really hard up about getting power out of the car... Here is what to do...

1. Get CAI whatever brand.
2. Get some foam...
3. Get heat resistant tape

Coat foam over the CAI and then wrap with heat tape.

Take Care,

Steve 00sir

02SilverSiHB
08-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
i dont see what you were expecting in adding a short ram intake??? I mean what did you think you would feel 50 horsepower???? an intake is an intake is an intake plain and simple my homemade poor shit, could be maybe possibly (could actually perform better ) be .23456789 less peak horsepower than a "REAL NAME BRAND" intake. do what you want i wasnt trying to say in my post that MY intake beats AEM, never made that claim, rather i saved about 180 plus dollars and got reasonably the same net result... I just know that in the long run a CAI isnt worth it for me but for others it may be, the concept sounds good but in the end the results are once again similar to some short rams (at low speeds).. ahh well good luck, im sorry if i steered you into the wrong direction ... i still am a firm believer in oem equip. also, and the ice box's are very nice , but yet again i just cant get over the non cost effectiveness of the product. Am i really going to be traveling at 100mph to get the full effect of a cai? I think not... --- joe
whoa, relax. As you would have read, it felt worse...not better. No I don't expect mad ass gains. I've own a civic before and have modded it and know all about bolt ons. It's just that even with a shortie I should feel at least a little better. But initially it felt worse. I think it was the heat...Texas, gotta love it. It felt better on the way back home. I'll test it out for about a week and see if it's worth keeping. I just don't know how I'm going to go about in modding my car. I kinda want to stay NA. But at the same time I don't want a loud ass ride like my previous JRSC EX
Oh, by the way, short ram intakes are felt more in the top end...cai intakes are felt more in the low end. I by all means wasn't saying you are full of crap or anything, and you didn't steer me wrong :D I'm fine...I'm not mad or anything....I love working on a car :) Maybe the smileys will help :)

02blksi
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
hahaha i think i should include smilies to :) :) the interenet can be pretty tricky sometimes to not come off like a dick so i apoloigize... anyways give it a try for a week, and get out early some morning and let her rip in some cooler temps, there is definetly a crisper throttle response if anything... well thats just what i think -- later , joe :) :):):):)

HondaMan
08-13-2002, 03:18 PM
hahaha i think i should include smilies to :) :) the interenet can be pretty tricky sometimes to not come off like a dick so i apoloigize... anyways give it a try for a week, and get out early some morning and let her rip in some cooler temps, there is definetly a crisper throttle response if anything... well thats just what i think -- later , joe :) :):):):)

Yeah, the K&N Typhoon is probably a lot like the home made job i.e. short ram. I feel more high end power...not a lot of course but a little. My .02 says there is little power difference between a CAI and short ram (like 00sir said). :)

02blksi
08-13-2002, 05:55 PM
agreed hondaman :) --joe

02SilverSiHB
08-13-2002, 06:16 PM
..anyways give it a try for a week, and get out early some morning and let her rip in some cooler temps, there is definetly a crisper throttle response if anything... well thats just what i think -- later , joe :) :):):):)
well, it has proven to be good after all. I was getting on it a little today on the way back from blockbuster. I could feel a better response and noticed it comes to life more at the higher rpms, I'd say about 4500, I can feel the car come to life even more than before. It's awsome, I just hate how we have a rev limiter of about 7k. I wish it was 8k like the previous edition. We could get more out of the power in that rpm range. I wonder if our stock internals can even handle the higher rpms?
Anyway, I also killed a ls teg..no big feat, but none the less, check out street racing

02blksi
08-13-2002, 07:00 PM
LOL GLAD to hear that you like the poor mans short ram.... good kill on the ls teg --joe :)

02SilverSiHB
08-13-2002, 07:38 PM
LOL GLAD to hear that you like the poor mans short ram.... good kill on the ls teg --joe :)
:D I likey this poor mang intake I poot da getha mang

nikkotyper
08-14-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by SLOlife

I agree. I have not heard anything bad about Comptech stuff. Acura and Honda dealers in my area sell Comptech stuff with factory warranty.