PDA

View Full Version : Change oil every 5k?

bryan
05-21-2003, 06:45 AM
Does anyone really wait 5k miles to change their oil like the manual says? Does anyone know why we are supposed to change oil only every 5k when most cars are on a 3k schedule?

sonic imperial
05-21-2003, 06:55 AM
I've had mine changed every 5k at the dealership. If the manual says to do it this way and I also have the 100k mile warranty, then if anything goes wrong due to oil then Honda will be fixing it as their expense. I've almost never changed oil at 3k and put loads of miles on cars with no problems. If you want to change it at 3k, then go right ahead, I've never noticed a difference or had a problem because I changed oil according to the owners manual.

FACTION95Si
05-21-2003, 09:37 AM
I change my oil every 3,000 miles. My EP is at the dealership right now getting it's first oil change. It has 3760 miles on it. I let it go an extra 760 miles this time because of the whole break in thing.

fishboy
05-21-2003, 09:41 AM
i am letting it go to around 6k this time around so they can change the oil while i get my 30k service done. i just add more oil when it dips down a bit.

glw
05-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by bryan
Does anyone really wait 5k miles to change their oil like the manual says? Does anyone know why we are supposed to change oil only every 5k when most cars are on a 3k schedule? fyi... the service manual says oil change is at 10K under normal conditions and at 5K under severe conditions.

31102si
05-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by glw
fyi... the service manual says oil change is at 10K under normal conditions and at 5K under severe conditions.

everyday driving is considered severe driving. I don't think anyone falls into the normal driving catagory. except maybe if you are some old folk who only drives to the store once a week to pick up more depends.:o :confused:

mhx
05-21-2003, 10:21 AM
i have 3100 miles now.. im going to go every 3500k
10w-30 reg castrol old FK Synthetic
ill prob put in 20w-50 for summer.

Zero Three Si
05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mhx
i have 3100 miles now.. im going to go every 3500k
10w-30 reg castrol old FK Synthetic
ill prob put in 20w-50 for summer.

Why would you put heavier oil in that tiny engine? It's only going to make the car work that much harder.

I first changed my oil at 1200 miles to get rid of all the metal shavings from breaking the car in.

Other than that....I'll change it every 3500 miles.

glw
05-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by 31102si

everyday driving is considered severe driving. I don't think anyone falls into the normal driving catagory. except maybe if you are some old folk who only drives to the store once a week to pick up more depends.:o :confused: i guess it depends (;)) on your everyday driving but according to the manual the list of severe condition consists of;

driving less than 5 miles per trip (or 10 miles in freezing temps)
driving in 90 degree plus temps
extensive idling or long periods of stop and go (such as a taxi)
trailer towing or driving with a car-top carrier
driving in mountainous areas
driving in muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

i get my oil changed every 5k or so, but i can see more than one or two people not fitting any of these severe conditions (especially here in california).

AkronSi
05-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Every 5K for me.

I would add that anymore, most cars are probably not on a 3K schedule. I know more than a few Porsche owners who drive their cars almost daily and change oil once a year.