PDA

View Full Version : Spline Drives on the way, OK till then? (long)

02TafWhtSi
05-21-2003, 06:17 PM
OK, Label me dumbass of the month. I did not realize I was supposed to replace the OEM lugnuts with "Tuner lugnuts" when I bought my 17" tire/wheel package. Discount Tire Direct offered to sell me a set but I declined b/c I thought the OEM would be fine. Well, I took the EP in to get the wheels re-balanced because of some steering wheel vibration over 45 MPH today and the shop INSISTED that I buy a set of Tuner lugs. According to them, my new wheels (Konig Heliums) will not sit right on the hub without these new lugnuts and I will continue to get vibrations and loose feeling steering. So I ordered the McGard Spline Drive Lug Nut and Lock kit for $66 from PDM Racing today. Will I be OK to drive with the OEM lugs until they arrive (could be a couple weeks :( ) I don't want to warp my rotors or damage my new wheels so I NEED to know if I'll be OK until the McGards arrive. Sorry for the long post.:angel:

Civicvtec1ps
05-21-2003, 06:45 PM
just put stock wheels back on its not safe.

ALCT
05-21-2003, 08:06 PM
I did that once, check your oem lug nuts because they get loose after a while, you'd better put oem wheels back.

hamlet9634
05-21-2003, 09:23 PM
i've got stock lugnuts on aftermarket wheels.. no problem at all.

can't think of any reason why stock lugnuts won't work...

in fact, had a set of konig heliums and used stock lugnuts on my last car...

the wheel shop is trying to get you to spend more money...

but tuner lugnuts are nice, so think of it as an upgrade anyway... and i hope it fixes your vibration (probably won't)..

sounds like you need an alignment

todaCspec
05-22-2003, 05:47 AM
You can get them cheapier or even other lugs locally and same day. Why do you have to wait weeks?

02TafWhtSi
05-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec
You can get them cheapier or even other lugs locally and same day. Why do you have to wait weeks?

What other lugs would you suggest?

Also - can someone explain exactly WHY I can't use the OEM lug nuts? :confused:

greenguy
05-22-2003, 07:37 AM
I just recieved my Mcgard spline drives yesterday:), and i noticed that the taperd end that meets the wheel is a seperate piece than the lug itself. It is able to rotate independantly from the lug. The locking piece does not. Nice set, though what I dont understand is I orderd the BLACK set, they come with new valve stems....that are crome and not black:( I dont get it.....

ALCT
05-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

What other lugs would you suggest?

Also - can someone explain exactly WHY I can't use the OEM lug nuts? :confused:

I hope this helps a bit, if you compare the open ends I can tell you that gorilla sits much better than the oem lugs and tightens more.

ALCT
05-22-2003, 09:56 AM
left: gorilla, right: oem

ALCT
05-22-2003, 09:58 AM

BANDER148
05-22-2003, 12:52 PM
FIRST OF ALL TUNER LUGS HAVE A DIFFERENT SEAT THAN YOU FACTORY LUGS. ALSO MOST AFTERMARKET WHEELS ARE NOT BUILT "HUB CENTRIC", MEANING THAT THE WHEEL SITS ON THE HUB TIGHT NOT LOOSE LIKE MOST AFTERMARKET WHEELS. IF YOU DON'T INSTALL THE HUBRINGS IN THE WHEELS YOU MAY GET A SHAKING FROM THE CAR EVEN WITH TUNER LUGS

HOPE THIS HELPS

Civicvtec1ps
05-22-2003, 01:13 PM
ive got gorrilla lugs as well its great

02TafWhtSi
05-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Well this has helped a lot guys! I honestly had no idea the OEM lugs will not fit with aftermarket wheels. The new wheels DO have hub rings installed so that shouldn't be the problem. I guess the final verdict will come when the McGards arrive next week. In the meantime I have put the stock 15's back on just to play it safe. Thanks again for the help guys and I'll post the results next week sometime.