PDA

View Full Version : Bumper lenses

Makross
05-21-2003, 11:04 PM
sup fellaz well im thinking about covering my bumper lenses but i dont know what i should use i dont want to paint them becuz paint can fade away..would vinly do the trick? where can i get some black vinly that matches my NHB? any info will be appreciated :)

chubbychu
05-21-2003, 11:12 PM
i have no clue how you are going to get vinyl to stick onto your bumper lenses and be smooth, flat lookin. But you can get it at any local vinyl sign shop. They will sell it to you by the foot.

I think if you are really wanting to get rid of your markers...just take them out and fill in the hole with fiberglass...and than paint over...OOoo wouldnt that be nice?

team ERA 5
05-21-2003, 11:16 PM
go to a hobby place where they sell model cars and stuff like that ull probably find some ther....VINYLS THE WAY TO GO nice and not PERMANENT haha but ill soon be painting my bumperlenses

Makross
05-21-2003, 11:17 PM
nah i dont want to fill in the holes with fiberglass i just want to make it look like its smooth nah mean like the one in the ep discussion that EP PILOT posted it looks good....:D yeah i might have to check out my local hobby stores thanks

team ERA 5
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM

chubbychu
05-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Oooo like THAtttt.....cool cool. i guess it looks cleaner, but if i didnt know what they were id be like "whats up with those bumps in his bumper"

Makross
05-21-2003, 11:23 PM
this is the first black ep that ive seen done this i think imma hafta bite as you can see its barely noticable in pics :p :p i wonder what he used???

Hachiman
05-23-2003, 07:36 AM
You guys are lucky you get to do that mod. We can't get away w/ it here in Canada. It looks pimp though!

BarracksSi
05-23-2003, 11:32 AM
I guess it depends more on the state whether we Yanks could get away with that mod. Some have had their EPs fail inspection because of it. I'm waiting until it's my turn for inspection, and then I'll ask the inspector -- in person -- about what appearance mods I can do.

One of the paints people have used for black lenses is model car window tint. Use a few coats, and it'll get plenty dark. I haven't yet seen anyone demonstrate that they'll still reflect light, though.

esmith13
05-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Here's my thread (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1477) where I showed my bumper lenses stained black so they still functioned at night...

Of course, after that you may want to read this thread (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9419) of mine where I told the story of failing PA state inspection for "modifying" a light assembly on my car....

I will say, they looked good tho!
That first thread shows the painted lenses, the stuff I used, and pics on the car in day (on and off) and night with them on.

Hope they help you decide how to proceed.

In the end, I had to buy Clear lense replacements to get a decent look... Somehow, their still legal here...

Eric