PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep bugs off the front bumper?

HokieSi
05-22-2003, 01:18 PM
How do I keep bugs from getting permantely plastered to my front bumper. I want them to slip and slide right off. My ep's front bumper looks like a high school bug collection.

31102si
05-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by HokieSi
How do I keep bugs from getting permantely plastered to my front bumper. I want them to slip and slide right off. My ep's front bumper looks like a high school bug collection.

wash those suckers off right away and keep a layer of wax on her and you should not have any problems. :D

DynaSpeed
05-22-2003, 05:51 PM
tie the bug zapper in your back-yard to a stick and drive with it mounted to the front of your car....

SiR Medic
05-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Park your car for the entire summer!

But that would be no fun, now would it?:p

Brettnyt
05-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Woah! How about, instead of a nitrous purge, get a bug repellent purge button! TIGHT! Mods: OFF bug spray fogger... :D

CleanBlackSi02
05-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Don't drive.

esmith13
05-23-2003, 11:57 AM
You could buy one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38659&item=2415597827) things, but if you do -- all EP owners all over the world will forever rightly be called mini-minivan drivers!! :(

Eric

FACTION95Si
05-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 31102si

wash those suckers off right away and keep a layer of wax on her and you should not have any problems. :D

Yep keep it waxed and bugs, tree sap, and bird shit will all come off a lot easier.

SiR Medic
05-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
You could buy one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38659&item=2415597827) things, but if you do -- all EP owners all over the world will forever rightly be called mini-minivan drivers!! :(

Eric

Don't laugh, but I have seriously considered getting one of these things!

:confused: I know, I know, but If you were to see the rock chips on my hood...:'(

HokieSi
05-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'll take the wax method. Seems like everytime I wash my car then take it for a spin, the bugs are just plastered to my bumper.

bugs = added weight and disruption of aerodynamic efficiency

xtrmnop
05-25-2003, 04:13 PM
I've been puting a layer of seran wrap in front of my car whenever I drive on the highway. I usually get just the generic kind. Just smack that baby on your front bumper and remove once done driving. Keeps bumper clean and can also protect it just slightly. I don't recommend this for cars with dark colors cuz it can leav a film on your paint but it still can be remove. Give it a try.

BSEVEER
06-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Quit hitting bugs, show off those handling skills and dodge em!:D

DynaSpeed
06-03-2003, 12:12 PM
I usually get just the generic kind. Just smack that baby on your front bumper and remove once done driving. haha. That's a heck of an idea... I think I'll actually give that a whirl...

SinisterCivicSi
07-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by HokieSi

lol dont drive.

j/k

i have the same problem. all i do is grin and bear it, you gotta use some elbow grease and get all the guts off or the more they stay on the harder and harder it is to get off.

DX4U2NV
07-01-2003, 06:16 PM
SWERVE!!!!

SinisterCivicSi
07-02-2003, 09:28 AM
LMAO! i was just picturing that in my head! LOL

soniccar
07-07-2003, 07:11 PM
I like to use a polymer based polish like Meguiar's No. 20 Poly Sealant (comes off like butter and can be applied to the entire car).

Problem with a Carnauba wax is that it melts off in the summer heat. When it rains really hard after you've waxed, you'll see wax smears and you say, "gee, I must have missed some places". Nope, that's the wax left on the car lifting off. So the bugs are hard to keep off. The poly waxes will last 3-4 mos. in summer and 6 mos. in cooler weather. I'm not saying to throw away the carnauba, it is good for restoring moisture to your paint that the Polymer waxes block off. I like to use Mother's prewax Step 1 then Meguiar's No. 20 Poly. The Mothers is only needed once or twice a year.

Use Porsche's own bug remover to get bugs off. It comes with a handy sponge. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe it with the sponge.

You can get that here:
http://www.properautocare.com/tar---bug.html (http://http://www.properautocare.com/tar---bug.html)

Don't let the price throw you, a bottle lasts me a year. Whatever you do, don't use it on the plastic headlight lenses. Those things are sensitive. Use either plexus (bugs will melt away) or Mother's plastic polish. Both have UV inhibitors to keep the lenses from yellowing. They'll be so clear, you won't believe it. The Plexus has to be used at every wash, but the mother's holds up a little longer. Also good for your emblems (esp. the Type-R red emblems) and the windshield wiper arms and the powder coated areas above the door glass. Also, buy a partial bra for the long trips to keep dings off the hood. That 3M plastic adhesive protector eventually yellows and looks bad. When you take it off, it rips off your clear coat.

SaBerCiviC
07-21-2003, 11:30 AM
DRIVE IN REVERSE, YOU DUMMY!WHAT KINDA QUESTION IS THAT?
PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST THREADS!

BarracksSi
07-23-2003, 08:29 AM
I used two heavy doses of Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover to get the latest batch of ex-bugs off my EP. It's thoroughly waxed now, but with carnauba (my cousin recommended monthly carnauba waxings after it's done such a great job on his Dodge pickup.. and I'm slow to change.. lol).

I'm thinking of switching to Zaino's in a while when I've got more time off and have a garage where I can do the work without risking bird shit partway through.