PDA

View Full Version : Tein S.TECH w/ Koni Sport

EP33
05-22-2003, 06:54 PM
H&R's are out. The additional height (rear) I wanted is now here. Koni's adjustability really comes into play now with the added ride height. I mounted the rear on the upper perch of the Koni's because the rear was lower-level with the S.TECHs compared to the H&R Sport springs on the lower perch. This also increased the effective spring rate becuase the rear is now under load once the struts are put assembled. When utilizing the lower perch of the Konis, the rear Tein springs did not need compressing when building. Those with stock shocks will be level to a very slight sag (under acceleration) on the rear with the S.Tech springs. When the Koni's are adjusted stiff I can hit dips and driveways without any hassle, clink, clank, ringing, buzzing, or any shi_ like that. One thing I like are the lack of dead coils on the rear Teins.

This is how the car should have come from Honda, tight and stiff with COMPLETE driveability hands down:D

TEKBRAIN
05-22-2003, 09:23 PM
No!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like a Neon now...:'(

EP33
05-22-2003, 11:25 PM
So sawdee,

I'll be the first to admit that I don't particularly like the hieght right now, however, if you drive my car now compared to before, you'll soon discover that 2 inches and below is too low for this car. I'm telling you it's way more fun now. I'll be finding some "jumps" real soon.

Besides it may settle another 5mm or so.

Neon??? I say, come awn.

Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???N eon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Ne on???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neo n???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon ???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon? ??Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon?? ?Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???Neon???

Tek, buy my H&Rs

02SilverSiHB
05-23-2003, 04:25 AM
looks good man. I know what you mean about the car being too low before. That's why I raised mine up some. Mine is still just a tad lower than yours.

Tenacious G
05-23-2003, 10:21 AM
that drop looks perfect, in my opinion. i'm assuming you did the install? how was the koni install?

EP33
05-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Tenacious G I did the install originally here Koni install (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9847) and I just swapped the springs.

Thanks for the compliments. The Koni install was long but worth it.

Burgh
05-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Sorry if I missed a previous thread. What was wrong with the H&R? From what you said about too much drop, did you run out of suspension travel and were you hitting your bumpstops all the time?

FACTION95Si
05-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Right on !!! Your car looks great. I bet the ride is awesome

EP33
05-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Faction. Your ride looks cool too.

Burgh, IMHO the bumpstops were being hit too much. Others don't see it this way that have H&Rs. I am a picky bastard though:D

My point is H&R used to advertise 1.3 inch drop front and rear, I got 2 full inches of drop. Not what I was after. . .

EP33
05-23-2003, 06:14 PM
O2SilverSiHB

Did your Koni's come with this? This is where I got the One full turn from:

02SilverSiHB
05-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by EP33
O2SilverSiHB

Did your Koni's come with this? This is where I got the One full turn from:
sort of like that, here's mine: you can see where it says max is at 720 degrees, two turns:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p3a9ce4ab6f70366f31311250afdb0f8f/fc332799.jpg

EP33
05-24-2003, 07:27 AM
(papers rattling). . . . .hmmmm. . . .no. . . . . .I don't see that in my instructions.

Thanks again for that;)

TEKBRAIN
05-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Tek, buy my H&Rs
Were you satisfied with them?

EP33
05-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Tek, I just didn't plan on lowering my car 2 inches. I wanted 1.3 as advertised on the H&R site. Personally I feel they were too low.

Other than that, they were :cool:

Measurment format: DSF PSF
DSR PSR

DSF=DRIVERSIDE FRONT
PSF=PASSENGERSIDE FRONT
DSR=DRIVERSIDE REAR
PSF= you get it. . .

All measurement from the center cap to the top of the fender
in inches (sorry Canada).

STOCK- DSF 13 11/16" PSF 13 7/8" DSR 13 7/8" PSR 13 6/8"

Koni dampers installed from here down

H&R Sport-DSF 12" PSF 12" DSR 11 3/4" PSR 11 3/4"

H&R Sport with Progress rear sway gained 1/4" height in rear only

Tein S.TECH-DSF 11 15/16" PSF 12" DSR 11 1/2" PSR 11 5/8"

Tein S.TECH with upper spring perch mounting location in rear DSR 13" PSR 13 1/8"

As you can see, not much difference in the ride height, yet the car feels totally different.

Custom foam bumpstop sections are on the front strut rods. They were placed under the shock boot on the strut rod itself, as I removed a section of the factory rubber bump stop when the H&R's were on in an effort to gain better ride quality. Consequently, I had no way of securing the shock boot. This custom foam bumpstop section solved that. The shock boot, at stock length was being crammed into the base of the spring perch so I cut it just below the accordian folded section. Polyurethane bushing grease is on the top & bottom of the infamous plastic bushing that allows the strut/spring assembly to rotate. So far things are good. I'll be tearing this installation down in a couple of weeks to inspect things.

TEKBRAIN
05-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Your car is lower with the Tein?
I want H&R with Koni at 630 degres!

nighthawk rider
05-26-2003, 09:16 PM
so u have the stock front strut with Tein springs and Koni strut with Tein springs at rear?

EP33
05-27-2003, 07:07 AM
Koni at all four corners. Go up a couple of posts and look at "Install pics" The top left corner photo shows one of the front struts having the H&R springs removed. You can see the yellow of the Koni.

The Koni install is covered here. (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9847)

nighthawk rider
05-27-2003, 07:22 PM
it takes how long to modify the front strut?

i'm considering to get all 4 corner of koni strut or just the rear (since my car feel bouncy at rear with H&R springs)
the labour cost is a big concern for me.

EP33
05-28-2003, 06:41 AM
Once the struts were off the car it took about SEVEN hours total. This was my first time dealing with the "new" Honda Civic suspension so it took a while. If I could do it again I would be able to do it in about three hours.

The bouncyness in the rear WILL be tamed with the struts. Too bad you're way up in the Yukon :D or else I'd hook up the front Konis for you for very little $

midas
05-28-2003, 06:11 PM
just put the tein tech s springs with stock struts and i think the drop looks great.

what i'm wondering is what should i expect from ride quality???

its tight and feel good cornering but man...when i hit a bump or crack in the road and it feels/SOUNDS like i'm bottoming out.

whats your expereinces?

EP33
05-28-2003, 09:15 PM
This is what I did to solve the "CRASHING" when hitting bumps. Hopefully the pictures explain it all. BTW the piece of foam was cut from the rear bumpstops. I had to open up the hole in order for it to fit around the front strut rod/piston. I left the hole small enough so that it will hold up the remaining piece of the dust boot (trimmed it down). It works great too :D

midas
05-28-2003, 09:22 PM
This is what I did to solve the "CRASHING" when hitting bumps. Hopefully the pictures explain it all. BTW the piece of foam was cut from the rear bumpstops. I had to open up the hole in order for it to fit around the front strut rod/piston. I left the hole small enough so that it will hold up the remaining piece of the dust boot (trimmed it down). It works great too :D
THANKS for the great info but...
well looks like i'm stuck because i just spent the last of my money on getting new wheels, tein and the install. i really dont have the knowhow or the space to work on it myself.. so i have to live with the ride? all the reviews i read about tein with stock struts said the ride was great. is this just the price you pay for using lowering springs with a stock set up?

EP33
05-28-2003, 10:47 PM
chew got it main.

midas
05-28-2003, 11:40 PM
chew got it main.
so i shouldnt be trippen when i hit a bump? it just sounds so bad for the car. i'm almost thinking i should have left it the way it was. i had a HR set up on my gti before this and it was a sport package with struts and it tightened everything up and was an improvement over stock but with my ep feels like i f**cked it up more than anything.

this is my first brand new car and i'm just stressing it.

EP33
05-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Dunno, I was tripping because I wanted my car comfortable and lowered. Before I installed the foam bumpstops (with the H&R setup) I was pissed because there were some areas on the freeway where the pavement changed and I would be doing like 70 MPH and BAM BAM LOUD ASS bottoming out sound, I would be steaming.

I would suggest you jack your car up and see if the front shock boots have been trimmed down. If they aren't stick some scissors in between your coils and cut them. That'll cut down on some of the noise.

Because this front suspension setup lacks any type of foam bumpstop which actually absorbs the whole bottoming out thing, you go from one extreme (suspension travel) to the other extreme (NO suspension travel).

The Tein springs seem to be softer than the H&Rs, so I'm sure I wasn't experiencing this problem as much as you are now. If push comes to shove, seek out a junk yard (or Honda) and some rear foam bumpstops for our car, cut a piece off like a 1/4" waffer. Then look at the picture.

It's the only thing I can think of to help you out without having to take all that shi* apart.

EP33
06-03-2003, 12:03 AM
FSTB. Easy install from Tornactive.

IceD out N CALI
06-03-2003, 12:11 AM
your ride is lookin nice:)

nighthawk rider
06-13-2003, 07:11 AM
so..the max turn for the rear strut is 360 (1 turn) or 720 (2 turn)?
i expect the Si use the same strut as RSX, right? the Koni sporkman said the Koni rear strut max adjust for rsx is 1.25 turn

EP33
06-13-2003, 09:08 PM
I haven't turned the front or rears past 1 turn yet. I'll give it a shot and let you know what mine adjust to.

EP33
06-13-2003, 10:57 PM
2 full turns in the front.

1 1/2 in the rear.

They both stopped turning when cranked toward firm.

EP33
08-30-2003, 12:21 AM
Matched the F & R Sways (Progress) today. I need tires now.

Sways KICK ASS. . .Getum.

Wish I could post a pic:rolleyes:

chunky
08-30-2003, 09:50 AM
glad to see you finally got your ride sorted out!

although, I am gonna have to throw in that i LOVE my h&r springs. I have zero bottoming out issues and I left the front bumpstops uncut.

I would have koni shocks, except for the strut modification. . . IMO koni should have spent the extra $$$ and put a damned perch, steering arm, and steering knuckle bracket on the damn thing.

If no one comes out with a more ideal shock setup, i'll be going coilovers by the time the stock shocks wear out. then i'll have some real spring rates. . . . like 900lb/in rear and 550lb/in front. :D

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Matched the F & R Sways (Progress) today. I need tires now.

Sways KICK ASS. . .Getum.

Wish I could post a pic:rolleyes:
why can't you post pics?
By the way, I thought the front progress bar was like 27mm which is bigger than our front one. I thought this would hurt performance if you're looking into getting rid of some oversteer.

Dunrick
08-31-2003, 10:15 AM
its 22mm but solid

ours is like 25mm and solid I believe...if you like how the turning response is now, then I would just leave the front sway bar, and just get a tower bar, because our front end is pretty held together, its the rear that has problems...

EP33
08-31-2003, 10:39 AM
My attachments are disabled. Steve the "Nazi Admin" says no more pic posts.

The car handles really flat now. Balance seems to be the same as stock, just with alot less lean. I can still rotate the rear around by lifting of the throttle pretty much the same. In high speed turns the car's glued well.

I am think about getting the Falken GRB FK451.

The factory front sway is a minimum 12 pounds lighter than the 19 pound Progress. I couldn't believe how heavy the damn thing is. The weight alone is good for some added push. The factory sway is definately hollow.

If I could post pics I could show ya:rolleyes:

IceD out N CALI
08-31-2003, 10:42 AM
you can still post pics, jus have them hosted on digitalpose. go to their website, sign up, upload your pics there, then use th IMG feature to attach and u can show us:)

02SilverSiHB
08-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
you can still post pics, jus have them hosted on digitalpose. go to their website, sign up, upload your pics there, then use th IMG feature to attach and u can show us:)
yeah, www.imagestation.com and www.clubphoto.com are all free too

EP33
08-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the pic advise. I just miss how easy it used to be. . .

:mad:

todaCspec
09-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the pic advise. I just miss how easy it used to be. . .

:mad:

Yeah, I miss it too! C'mon "Nazi Admin" give us back that kool feature.

EP33
09-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I miss it too! C'mon "Nazi Admin" give us back that kool feature.

You know what I'm sayin?

EP33
09-20-2003, 10:16 AM
This really makes the handling very very flat. I cannot express to you in words the amount of ease this setup is to drive fast in turns (tires will suffer).

Install went easy, however, you will need two people to slide the new (and much heavier) bar over the back of the (unbolted and pulled down) cat to the actual sway bar mounting location. My 13 year old helped.

Took all of 40 minutes. Be careful to set it up with equal space on both Left and Right.

I wish the rear Progress sway came with the same type of flanged bolt found on the Progress front sway. Gotta call them foos.

EP33
09-20-2003, 12:23 PM
All old pics were deleted so. . . .here's one.