PDA

View Full Version : Removing Driver's side axle and CV Boot

tkm
05-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Ok, so I did a bonehead thing and tore my outer CV boot on the passenger side. Since I don't have the helms yet, a few questions:

1) I assume the axle needs to come out to replace the outer CV boot.

2) How the hell do I remove the axle?

Seems like stupid questions and I should know this, but I don't know of the EP3 is any different than the Honda's of the past.

ANy help would be appreciated. I bought a CV boot rebuild kit, but that looks to be a major PITA too.

team ERA 5
05-22-2003, 10:31 PM
:'( i broke my cv joint and my steering knuckle that COST ME 850.00 to get fixed at honda :(.... sorry just had to post that....BUT I THINK EVERYTHING IS PRESSED ON

EPHatchgirl
05-23-2003, 07:47 AM
I had to take my axle off while installing springs... lemme get all the details together and I will post it.

tony speed
05-23-2003, 09:33 AM
i'll post when this evening after i look at the service manual

cpu519
05-31-2003, 06:34 PM
To remove the passenger side axle, first loosen the axle nut. Maybe that part is obvious but here's the easiest way to do it. Take your tire off and bend back the crimped on portion of the axle nut so the nut can turn. Then remove the center cap from your wheel so a socket can fit through onto the nut. Put your wheel back on and lower your car to the ground. Loosen the nut. Then jack up the car, remove the axle nut and unbolt the strut completely from the knuckle. Then tilt the knuckle away from the axle and push the axle through the hub so the splines come free. Next, unbolt the intermediate shaft bearing mount (you have to work to get a wrench on those bolts because they're hard to access, but it can be done), you should be able to then slide the axle out of the trans. The manual says the axle separates from the intermediate shaft, but I wasn't able to separate it so I didn't do it.

The driver's side is essentially the same, it doesn't have an intermediate shaft. Use a prybar at the inboard end and pop it out. Be careful not to insert the prybar to far in because the seal might get damaged.

You need a slide hammer to remove the splined part of the axle assembly from the axle shaft. That's the PITA part, I would take your axle at this point to a shop and have them change the boot. If you decide to take it apart yourself, the axle has to be measured first and marked so it can be reassembled to the same length. I tried to do this on a Nissan Sentra to replace the boot, no way I could do it. I could've of used a split boot, but I just replaced the whole axle instead.

hth

tony speed
06-07-2003, 01:58 PM
16-3 service manual

tony speed
06-07-2003, 02:06 PM
16-4 service manual

tony speed
06-07-2003, 02:13 PM
16-16 service manual

tony speed
06-07-2003, 02:34 PM
16-17 service manual

cpu519
06-08-2003, 10:06 AM
If you unbolt the strut from the knuckle, then you don't have to separate the ball joint. Separating the joint is a MAJOR hassle. Sure, you'll have to realign the wheels, but that cost doesn't compare to having to replace the ball joints if they get damaged, and you'll still have to align the wheels anyway because then the knuckle has to be completely removed for service.