PDA

View Full Version : My RSX-S Rear Sway Bar Arrived Today !

JSIR
08-14-2002, 06:56 AM
Got my RSX-S rear sway bar today. For $130 Canadian I got a 19mm bar and 2 new bushings, how can you beat that price !, (in US dollars thats $90 !). It will just swap right into existing setup as soon as I can get the stock endlinks swapped to the new bar.

The parts were on back-order for a couple weeks but it wasn't too bad. These prices are from an Acura dealer as well, not known for their low prices. If anyone is interested in the part numbers give me a shout. I probably won't be able to install the parts until Thursday or Friday of this week. The aftermarket has some bigger thickness bars, but for daily driver street use I think 19mm is more than adequate.

00sir
08-14-2002, 07:45 AM
Let us know how the install goes,

I am going to do the same thing!

Steve

JSIR
08-14-2002, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the parts in the US for $80 or less, my local Acura dealer is notorious for high prices cause they are the only one within a 200 mile radius. I'll get the part numbers posted tonight, and let you know how the install goes by Friday. The hardest part of the install will be taking off the locknuts on the stock sway bar and re-installing on the new bar, Honda locknuts are a bit sticky to get off but with the car being so new it should be fine.

Joey

DrPimpSiR
08-14-2002, 12:14 PM
What is the dia of the stock SiR one?
Post the # anyway.
Did you look into the front one as well?

JSIR
08-14-2002, 03:10 PM
the stock rear sway should be 15mm, I'll have to measure this evening, I measured the RSX-S one and it is exactly 19mm. I don't care about the front sway bar as it induces understeer, I want more oversteer. I guess you could go with a smaller front bar to increase oversteer but what's the point.

Part numbers for RSX-S rear bar and bushings are:

52300-S6M-A01 - 19mm rear sway bar
52306-S6M-A01 - 19mm rubber bushing - two of them needed.

that's it.

Joey

JSIR
08-14-2002, 05:08 PM
install was very easy, went on real nice. Performance is great, car handles almost perfectly, pretty much eliminated all understeer and body roll. Just poin the front end and the rear end comes around nicely. I love it, cant imagine needing a bar that is any bigger than this - 19 mm seems perfect.

Joey

02blksi
08-14-2002, 08:22 PM
what do you mean when you say that you had to get the stock endlinks swapped onto the new bar.?? i dont know what an endlink is or what it does? any help would be appreciated thanks BTW i really want to do this mod any help would be appreciated. --thanks joe

DrPimpSiR
08-14-2002, 08:33 PM
02blk
endlinks do exactly what the name implies- they link the end of the sway bar to the suspension.

Thanks for the info JSIR!!

02blksi
08-14-2002, 10:48 PM
so why would he have to wait to get the endlinks installed before he could put the rsx ones on ?? sorry im such a dumbass --joe

JSIR
08-15-2002, 08:05 AM
Honda uses the same design endlinks on most of their vehicles, they are a straight piece of metal with a bolt on the top and a bolt on the bottom (both bolts rotate within ball-socket design). The top bolt attaches to the very end of the sway bar with a locknut. The bottom bolt attaches to the chasis attachment point with a regular nut. It links the swaybar to the chasis. This is different from the two rubber bushings, the bushings mount on the subframe centered on the sway bar itself with the stock mounts.

You could buy new RSX endlinks with the sway bar but they are awefully expensive, like $150 for two of them, so you are better off just swapping the stock ones to the new sway bar as they are the same parts.

To get the locknut off the endlink bolt so you can remove it from the stock sway bar you insert a 5mm allen key into the end of the bolt and use a 14mm box end wrench to get the nut loosened off while holding the allen key very firm. I stick the sway bar end into a bench vise while I work the endlink off the bar. Installation of the old endlink onto the new bar is the same as reverse, and is easier than removal. If you lube the bolt threads with oil it may help get the locknut off easier.

To get the nut loose from the chasis attachment point I used a breaker bar with a long extension and 14mm socket, as it is located behind the brake rotor (rear wheels must be removed).

hth.

Joey