PDA

View Full Version : Paint And Carbon Fiber

bioevolve
05-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Can you paint Carbon Fiber? Example.....like the CF hood I just ordered.TIA!

Mugen_EP
05-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Sure, its possible. There are many people who paint their CF hoods.

paralysis
05-24-2003, 09:41 PM
If you want the Carbon Fiber to be seen after you paint. You will want to pick a translucent and Not opaque, it will allow the fiber pattern to show through while giving the fiber weave the tint it was painted.

BlasTech
05-24-2003, 10:21 PM
The carbon fiber cloth is enclosed in a resin such as polyester or epoxy. This resin is basically a type plastic, that can be sanded and painted like a plastic.

Some enamels might be a problem, though, as they might dissolve the resin, but auto paints should be ok.

The resin chemically bonds to the CF cloth on a molecular level to form a new, composite material that has the combined strengths of the two original materials... aint that cool?

:D

StrangeShadow
05-27-2003, 01:49 AM
haha cool, exactly what I have been wondering for some time now, :) this would help add a new look w/lighter hood w/out sporting a diff colored hood than the rest of car, which attracts a lot of rice/police attention around here.

AkronSi
05-27-2003, 05:57 AM
I was flipping through a tuning mag the other night (Honda Tuning I think) and they painted a Wings West carbon fiber hood. The whole issue was on paint.

mrfixit687
05-27-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by bioevolve
Can you paint Carbon Fiber? Example.....like the CF hood I just ordered.TIA!

so let me get this strait, you spent money on a cf hood, that probably doesnt weight all that much less because our hoods are puny, and now you want to paint it to look like our stock hood? So you spent like 600+ total after paint to make yolur car looks exactly the same except weighing like 3 pounds less? :o

bioevolve
05-27-2003, 08:28 AM
Well then, what is the exact weight of the OEM versus the CF hood? back up your useless post.
Same reason as, why spend all that money on JDM stuff when USDM stuff is just as good but costs less.
It's not about the money sometimes, it's about what you got.
We are not here to judge what others do, we are here to help answer questions and get questions answered. Others that go further into mods, helps others that haven't modded yet to see what pros and cons that arise. *nuff said*;)

mrfixit687
05-27-2003, 09:11 AM
well you have both hoods, why dont u weight them for us?

oh and its about what you got? wats the point of getting a cf hood and then painting it? how does that show off what you got? oh and we are here to judge what others do contrary to your beliefs, because we all post pictures of our cars for others to see and judge. please enlighten me on the pros that you get by having a painted cf hood on your car?

ssvr6
05-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Since when does having a CF anything only count if you can see the mesh? That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. I know A LOT of enthusiasts with painted hoods. A black hood on a light colored car isn't everyone's style.

Weight savings is weight savings...period.

Steve

mrfixit687
05-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Since when does having a CF anything only count if you can see the mesh? That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. I know A LOT of enthusiasts with painted hoods. A black hood on a light colored car isn't everyone's style.

Weight savings is weight savings...period.

Steve

well i didnt say that it only counts if its unpainted, im replying to his post about "what you've got", if its painted, how are other people on thes treet going to know if you have a cf hood?

you can spend 500-600 bucks to save like 5 pounds, thats fine with me, ur money. but i'll spend my 500 on something more worthwhile like suspension or engine mods

bioevolve
05-27-2003, 02:35 PM
You just assume to much, that is your problem. It's about what you got, doesn't mean what others need to know, it's what you know what you've got. I don't have the CF hood yet to measure the weights, As my thread started * I just ordered the hood * Either way what does it matter to you what I do? Is this all you got to do all day? I have more mods than you will ever have. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo :p You're worried about how others spend their money, awwwwww, I didn't know you cared. F**king Lamer. You still haven't backup your first post.

mrfixit687
05-27-2003, 04:12 PM
easy there buddy, dont get so defensive lol

Mugen_EP
05-27-2003, 04:29 PM
What if he just wants to paint the outside of the hood and leave the inside showing the CF? He never said he wanted to completely paint the hood.

Adam
05-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Painted Cf Hoods look so badass!!! If you enter your car into a show you'll definently get extra points for that. Do it man and post some pics of it when your done cause I was thinking of doing the same thing! And those of you that Hate on painted hoods. Go screw yourself with a big black carbon fiber dildo!!

StrangeShadow
05-29-2003, 12:03 AM
What if he just wants to paint the outside of the hood and leave the inside showing the CF? He never said he wanted to completely paint the hood.
rofl
I would like to get maybe the BC CF hood and paint it to match my car...are we talking paint so the pattern can't be seen, or paint so it can be seen?
And IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE, not what other think you have or not...specially if you're packing..who gives a
fu%$!!! if they don't know, as long as you know it' there.
Plus, like steve said, I can't count how many pros I've seen with panited carbon fiber hoods.

StrangeShadow
05-29-2003, 12:03 AM
rofl
I would like to get maybe the BC CF hood and paint it to match my car...are we talking paint so the pattern can't be seen, or paint so it can be seen?
And IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE, not what other think you have or not...specially if you're packing..who gives a
fu%$!!! if they don't know, as long as you know it' there.
Plus, like steve said, I can't count how many pros I've seen with panited carbon fiber hoods.

Mugen_EP
05-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Ok StrangeShadow, I just reread my post and the way I typed it I guess it sounds funny. But this is what I meant.:D

Heitzke
05-29-2003, 08:50 AM
wow, talk about a sexy car..... i love all the black on the white. It looks like the roof is black too. Is it?

Mugen_EP
05-29-2003, 08:59 AM
It's a photochop.;)

BlasTech
05-29-2003, 10:14 AM
I dont know about you guys, but I just orderd enough OEM "CF-look" dash kits to cover my entire car with CF pattern stickers...

:D

Who really cares what someone else has? Someone with thier priorities backwards...

StrangeShadow
05-29-2003, 02:33 PM
hehe:D what speedy wants to do is cool, ...it was just funny picturing the hood painted on top but not underneath/side facing the engine bay :p it fit perfect w/everyone yelling paint/don't paint hehe :D

Heitzke
05-29-2003, 10:16 PM
oh wow, i have no idea how i missed the fact that it was a photochop. I noticed the grill "paint" looked kinda funky, but i didnt want to talk shit about such an awesome car. It would be so great to have that done on a real car. By the way, where can you get a carbon hatch like the one wchan55888 has?

EPTree
06-03-2003, 03:08 PM
hah...a carbon fiber dildo. I wonder if there's a market for that. Ricer chicks could use them.

Ok, I'm done contributing absolutely nothing constructive to this post :D

StrangeShadow
06-05-2003, 01:56 AM
haha if you can mass produce them, and put racing chicks in pink on them, plus get a pro (lisa kubo) holding one, saying how it adds real torque. then it would work.

EPTree
06-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Of course it would have to have neon green LED balls and a "NOS" button for a super burst of vibration power! Oh yes...I sense a market

StrangeShadow
06-07-2003, 12:55 AM
if you get some of the girls off the F&F movies to indorse and help promote them, I'll buy stock on that, cause everyone would buy them if the girls from F&F use them, plus we can find a way for them to be used as detachable shift nobs!!! double the market right there!!! A multi-purpus shift nob for female tuners.
Then we can discuss if ppl want to paint them or not!

minimay7
06-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Ha ha! My photochop is popular!!!

I wanted to do that paint theme on my WRX. Paint the CF hood except the part that surrounds the hood intake... After I got my EP, I was thinking about doing it to the CF hood. But, Sppedy brought up painting his car. So I made this quick Photochop with his car.

Sorry for the lame Mugen grille. I couldn't find good reference. BUt, the radiator duct came out pretty good eh? I like the one with the rear wing's side painted white. I don't remember where this thread was originally... Oh well!!