PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Lowering 02 hatch, steering tie rods

Scivichatch02
08-14-2002, 09:41 AM
how do we get the ball joints on the tie rods out of the strut bracket? I've tried everything I can think of so far (hammer, 2/3 jaw puller, etc.). TIA

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2002, 10:47 AM
someone got to know. I'm going to install my springs soon, I wouldn't mind knowing now. Did you check that site that shows the install of springs and koni's on an EM?

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2002, 10:49 AM
here's the url I'm talking about. I haven't read it fully so your answer may be in there:
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0205ht_suspension/

HondaMan
08-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Yeah, somebody has to know (OrganDonar?)...I plan to do my spring install Saturday (UPS should deliver my springs today).

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Yeah, somebody has to know (OrganDonar?)...I plan to do my spring install Saturday (UPS should deliver my springs today).
What kind did you get? H&R from inlinefour right? I was going to but found some progress springs for 75...100 shipped. Can't wait :D

HondaMan
08-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

What kind did you get? H&R from inlinefour right? I was going to but found some progress springs for 75...100 shipped. Can't wait :D

Yep, H&R springs from inlinefour.com. :D

Scivichatch02
08-14-2002, 02:33 PM
The Honda Tuning article doesn't go into detail about how to get the tie rod out. :mad: We ended up just putting the front suspension back together, but we got the rear suspension done. Car looks like it's carrying a heavy load in back all the time. :p It should look real nice if we ever get the front springs on.

fishboy
08-14-2002, 02:43 PM
same thing happened to me. i had to take it to a shop the next morning.

HondaMan
08-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Ugh, not looking good for my do-it-yourself job. :(

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Ugh, not looking good for my do-it-yourself job. :(
I hear ya, I'll be trying on Saturday morning. I'm definitely starting with the front first

HondaMan
08-14-2002, 07:36 PM
We need OrganDonar's input...he installed springs (H&R) himself already. BTW, I got my springs but directions were not included to help with the install.

02SilverSiHB
08-14-2002, 08:27 PM
We need OrganDonar's input...he installed springs (H&R) himself already. BTW, I got my springs but directions were not included to help with the install.
have you PM'd organ donor? If not then I will.

HondaMan
08-14-2002, 08:55 PM
I'll PM again. Talk to ya on Saturday.

OrganDonar 8=D
08-15-2002, 12:41 PM
wow, i don't remember having a hard time w/ that. i can't remember what exactly i did either. i had to take apart the front end twice due to the way i placed the top mount back on, and didn't have a problem either time. i'll crawl under there later and see if i can recall.

HondaMan
08-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by OrganDonar 8=D
wow, i don't remember having a hard time w/ that. i can't remember what exactly i did either. i had to take apart the front end twice due to the way i placed the top mount back on, and didn't have a problem either time. i'll crawl under there later and see if i can recall.

Ah, good to hear. Looking forward to your update. 02SilverSiHB and I plan to install our springs Saturday and we need all the help we can get (at least I do). ;)

OrganDonar 8=D
08-15-2002, 12:48 PM
glad to offer any help i can. just hope i can help

HondaMan
08-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by OrganDonar 8=D
glad to offer any help i can. just hope i can help

Our EPs will be nearly identical once I get my H&R springs and Velox VX8 gunmetal wheels (arriving today) installed! :D

BTW, thanks for the help in advance! :)

Scivichatch02
08-15-2002, 07:07 PM
alright
attention all people lower their cars !!!!!!
when hammering out the steering rod dont beet the rod with the hammer beat the part of the shock that holds the steering rod !!!
i had to buy a end piece for the tie rod i got my friend that worked at a local performance shop to finish the work he did a good job and now the car looks great

02SilverSiHB
08-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Scivichatch02
alright
attention all people lower their cars !!!!!!
when hammering out the steering rod dont beet the rod with the hammer beat the part of the shock that holds the steering rod !!!
i had to buy a end piece for the tie rod i got my friend that worked at a local performance shop to finish the work he did a good job and now the car looks great
thanks! I'll definitely watch out for that :D

HondaMan
08-15-2002, 08:26 PM

thanks! I'll definitely watch out for that :D

Same here. :)

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2002, 07:04 PM

Same here. :)
I was looking under the hood and noticed how hard it will be to get a socket or wrench in to remove the shock tower bolt. Hopefully that higher pressure line will move enough outta my way to get in there

HondaMan
08-16-2002, 07:53 PM

I was looking under the hood and noticed how hard it will be to get a socket or wrench in to remove the shock tower bolt. Hopefully that higher pressure line will move enough outta my way to get in there

Higher pressure line? :confused:

Well, I'm going to start with the rear springs tomorrow...they should be easy and that will give me some practice for the front springs. ;)

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2002, 08:59 PM

Higher pressure line? :confused:

Well, I'm going to start with the rear springs tomorrow...they should be easy and that will give me some practice for the front springs. ;)
I'm not quite sure what to call it, my nomenclature can sucks sometimes. If you look under the hood and look at the top of the passenger side shock tower, you'll see those three nuts you'll have to take off to remove the shock/spring assembly. I was taking a look at it and there's some pressure line...ac line? not sure..I suck at know exact parts of the car...just simple bolt on things for me...i.e. springs,header,exhaust,etc.
Hopefully it won't be a problem.

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2002, 09:12 PM

hey check out this link...it goes into the tie rod for the front
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=29291&highlight_key=y&keyword1=springs
I'm currently trying to find a link for better how to instructions.

HondaMan
08-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Ah, sounds good...need all the help you can find. :)

02SilverSiHB
08-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Ah, sounds good...need all the help you can find. :)
I'm not sure if I want to do this anymore :( I think I shouldn't go with this 2" drop

HondaMan
08-17-2002, 10:51 AM

I'm not sure if I want to do this anymore :( I think I shouldn't go with this 2" drop

Yeah, I think a 2" drop is a bit much for me. I think my H&R springs with their 1.3-1.5" drop are just right IMHO. :) I'll be heading outside soon to take on this install.

spamhater
10-20-2003, 10:24 AM
I did my kw coilover install this weekend and came across the same problem with the tie rods. I found a way to get them out with no problems.
After beating a piece of wood on the nut for an hour, I layed down and thought about it for a while. I wasn't about to go pay someone to charge me an arm and a leg for removing to bolts. So I grabbed a jack and the same piece of wood and put the small 2x4 on the jack standing up. I maneuvered the wood under the bolt for the tie rod and put enough pressure to move the whole suspension up about 2 inches. with the pressure still being applied I hit the brace which is connected to the stock strut. I struck it about 3 or 4 good times with a ball pin hammer and it popped out. So I tried it on the other side and it came out after 2 strikes of the hammer. I don't know if anyone here has tried that but I would definately reccomend it to anyone having to remove there stock struts.:cool:

chunky
10-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by spamhater
I did my kw coilover install this weekend and came across the same problem with the tie rods. I found a way to get them out with no problems.
After beating a piece of wood on the nut for an hour, I layed down and thought about it for a while. I wasn't about to go pay someone to charge me an arm and a leg for removing to bolts. So I grabbed a jack and the same piece of wood and put the small 2x4 on the jack standing up. I maneuvered the wood under the bolt for the tie rod and put enough pressure to move the whole suspension up about 2 inches. with the pressure still being applied I hit the brace which is connected to the stock strut. I struck it about 3 or 4 good times with a ball pin hammer and it popped out. So I tried it on the other side and it came out after 2 strikes of the hammer. I don't know if anyone here has tried that but I would definately reccomend it to anyone having to remove there stock struts.:cool: I would suggest using a small tie rod end/pitman arm puler. it's the right tool for the job and works awesome with very very little risk of damage to the tie rod end.

fsugatorbait
10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by chunky
I would suggest using a small tie rod end/pitman arm puler. it's the right tool for the job and works awesome with very very little risk of damage to the tie rod end.

Exactly, I went to napa and picked up a tie rod puller. Its pretty much a ramped fork that you stick on top of the strut arm and below the tie rod boot. Use a hammer to push the puller in towards the center of the car, itll pop the tie rod right out. HTH.

chunky
10-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Exactly, I went to napa and picked up a tie rod puller. Its pretty much a ramped fork that you stick on top of the strut arm and below the tie rod boot. Use a hammer to push the puller in towards the center of the car, itll pop the tie rod right out. HTH.

actually that style spearator can damage the boot. the one i got is like a U that grips both sides of the mount for the tie rod end, then pushes the bolt up and out. i have pictures somewhere.

FiL
10-20-2003, 02:39 PM
when i lowered my ep, i didnt even remove the entire assembly. i just borrowed a set of spring compressors from autozone and changed the springs while the assembly was still attached to the tie rod. pretty easy. a good way to go if you dont wanna risk tearing the boot or damaging the bolt. btw, autozone loans out spring compressors for free.

-phil