PDA

View Full Version : crush bent or mandrel bent???

nighthawk rider
05-26-2003, 08:58 PM
hi

just considering to get a custom midpipe to finish up the I/H/E mod. i called some shops and they said there's not much different on Crush bent and Mandrel bent due to less bents on the RSX/EP3 SiR midpipe.

anyone has comment/ opinions? pls help me out

mrfixit687
05-26-2003, 09:58 PM
well considering all aftermarket exhaust systems use mandrel bend

TrippZ
05-27-2003, 04:48 PM
honestly i think that it wont really matter. sure, mandrel will free up the exhaust but when you're getting that fatter pipe, it starts to matter less..

what, .5 max 1 horsepower.

thanks, i'll spend $65 and get my horsepower minus 1. I can spend the extra 500 bucks on something else :)

BarracksSi
05-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Given the choice -- and I'm very new at this engine mod thing -- I'd go with mandrel bent.

We nitpick about a quarter of an inch difference (or less) when we talk about tubing, and I can't see that crush-bending a pipe will genuinely preserve the original diameter.

Brass musical instruments -- trumpets, trombones, tubas, etc. -- have their branches formed by bending over mandrels, for the most part (other, cheaper processes include presses or high-pressure hydraulic forms). The people who play these nitpick about a hundredth of an inch in the bore size in the body of the instrument, and there's no way they'll let a builder get away with crush bending.