PDA

View Full Version : Part Numbers for RSX-S Swaybar and extras...

00sir
08-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Here is what I just ordered for tommorrows delivery.

1. rsx-s rear swaybar #5230056ma01
2. 2 bushings #5230656ma01
3. 2 holders 1@52308563000 1@5230956m000 (i think he said they were different for right and left side)

That is much cheaper than the mugen rear sway, and hopefully will not tear up the frame.

Mine should be in the morning.. will install
friday...

Take Care,

Steven (00sir)

JSIR
08-14-2002, 03:13 PM
really, my part numbers are totally different, hmmm, strange. I didn't order the bushing holders as the stock ones should be the same as the RSX-S, I'll know tonight though, in case it can save someone else a few bucks.

Joey

00sir
08-14-2002, 03:45 PM
David Mc David Acura Group 4051 W Plano Pkwy, Plano, TX 75093
Phone: (972) 964-6000
the part numbers are correct except...

1. rsx-s rear swaybar #52300S6ma01
2. 2 bushings #52306S6ma01
3. 2 holders 1@52308563000 1@52309S6m000 (i think he said they were different for right and left side)

The 5's in last 6 digits were S's.. Sorry that is my fault. But I had him double check for the RSX-type S. and it is a 19mm swaybar or stabilizer bar.

Hope this helps, I hate when I get the numbers wrong.

Sorry,

JSIR
08-14-2002, 04:29 PM
well I just finished the install, total time about 45 minutes, a bit longer if you take your time. Just did it in my garage using basic hand tools and jack stands. It helps if you are familiar with Honda endlinks and how they operate, you need to use an allen key - 5mm - to hold the endlink bolt while you undo the lock nut to get it off the stock bar. Keep track of which endlinks go on which side as they can be different, and keep track of which way the stock bar comes off the car so you can line up the new bar with it and use the correct endlinks. One nut was real tight where the endlink meets the frame, I thought it would strip but I got it off using a breaker bar. It helps to lube the bolts before you pull them off too.

I re-used the stock bushing holder plates - 2 they seem to fit fine, I am sure they are the same part as the RSX-S plates,same code on them too, may save you a few bucks re-using them instead of buying new. Gonna go test drive it now, will have a report shortly.

Joey

JSIR
08-14-2002, 05:02 PM
just finished test driving the new sway bar. These words should sum it all up - Understeer = All Gone , Body Roll = All Gone. Feels just about perfect. Point the front end and the rear comes around nicely, what body roll was left in the car is now pretty much gone. You can get a touch of oversteer now hard in corners, but still feels very safe. I don't see the need to go with any bar larger than this. To go with a bigger bar may give you too much oversteer, maybe a tad dangerous for the average driver. But 19mm seems perfect. No squeaks or clunking noises. I'm going to loosen and re-torque the holder plate bolts now after the first drive and with the full weight of the car on the bar, should re-set the bar if there was any change after initial install.
That's it, if anyone needs any info on this mod, just give me a shout.

Joey

ortedd
08-14-2002, 05:17 PM
how much $?

wu343
08-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Do you have any other mods with the sway bar or just the stock springs?

JSIR
08-14-2002, 07:43 PM
this is my first suspension mod on this car, so stock springs and shocks. I have Pro-kit springs on the way but not installed yet.

wu343
08-14-2002, 07:55 PM
let us know what happens after the spring install

02blksi
08-14-2002, 08:17 PM
price???? for everything?

also im pretty compitent when it comes to workin on cars although i have never ventured into the suspension (ie changing sway bars) on a scale of 1-10 10 being the hardest what would you give this mod? any special tools needed? and also do you have any pics of the bar installed? thanks BTW what is the rear diameter of the stock si sway? thanks again--joe

00sir
08-15-2002, 07:31 AM
Price for part # 52300s6ma01 $75.20
Price for part # 52306s6ma01 $5.28 x 2
Price for part # 52308s6m000 $4.88
Price for part # 52309s6m000 $4.88

Total price = 85.76 before tax if you leave out the last two holders...

Total price = 95.52 before tax with two new holders.

JSIR.... Thanks a million for the information and the install notes. I will go grab some alan wrenches at lunch to make sure I have everything I need. I guess I better round up the old breaker bar as well.

Thanks again,

02blksi
08-15-2002, 08:02 AM
thanks for the great post im going right now to my local acura dealership :) --joe

JSIR
08-15-2002, 08:20 AM
as far as suspension mods go this is by far the easiest mod to do. In terms of difficulty, I would say a 4-5 max. . Just keep track of where the endlinks mount, and how the bar is oriented before you take it all apart, so you get the right endlink on the right side of the bar. Once you get the locknuts tightened down they are a pain to remove again, and you don't want to strip an endlink, so get it right the first time. The bar comes off the car very easily. The endlink attaches to chasis behind the brake rotor, so remove both rear wheels and put the car on jack stands. I used a breaker bar with long extension and 14mm socket to access and break loose the nut on the endlink bolt at the chasis attachment point (both sides). I then take the stock sway bar with the two endlinks attached and insert it into a bench vise to hold it steady. Use a 5 mm Allen key into the end of the endlink bolt, and loosen the locknut with a 14mm box end wrench holding everything firmly. If you just use a 14mm socket on the locknut, the endlink bolt may just rotate with the locknut, so the Allen key is needed to hold the bolt steady.

To mount the holder plates to the subframe with the rubber bushings I used 20 ft lbs torque value, and I used 40 ft lbs to tighten the nut on the chasis attachment point of the endlink (behind the brake rotor). For the endlink locknut on the sway bar I just snugged it down firm. Be careful not to strip any of the nuts. I don't have any pics right now its kind of tight area getting under the car. I will see if I can get some, if anyone needs any info or assistance feel free to contact me.

oh yeah, stock sway bar is 15mm, RSX-S bar is 19mm. I really love this mod though. I had one of those 22mm Mugen/ITR bars on my 99 Civic SiR , and I don't want to get into that mess again, I would rather have this bar and enjoy it reliably.

00sir
08-15-2002, 01:08 PM
I justed picked up my parts.. Ohhh yes, friday morning unless I get called into work...

JSIR--Thanks again for all the tool recomendations... I know this is not rocket science but it is fun being on the bleeding edge a bit. I guess this makes you the first person to have performed the swap. Congrats...

I hopefully will be the second...

Take Care...!

JSIR
08-15-2002, 03:15 PM
thanks, I would have expected someone else to have completed this mod before me, but I don't mind being first.

I really would like to know how the two mounting plates end up looking, and why they have a left & right one. If you get a chance give them a good looking over and let us know if they look any different than stock. Last time I was under an RSX-S they looked the same to me and had the same code stamped into them. If they are different it may be worth getting for the relatively low cost. Keep us informed. thanks.

Joey

Satin Si
08-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Just ordered mine, here's the pricing I got from www.acuraautomotiveparts.net (http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net)

52300-S6M-A01 SPRING, RR. (19MM) 1 $60.16 $60.16
52306-S6M-A01 BUSH (19MM) 2 $3.45 $6.90
52308-S6M-000 HOLDER, R. RR. 1 $3.18 $3.18
52309-S6M-000 HOLDER, L. RR. 1 $3.18 $3.18

SmoothOperator
08-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Damn JSIR!!! I'm dying to do this mod now too. My car's already lowered, so I'm curious to see what it'd feel like with the sway bar. My only problem is, I dont have the tools or space to install it! And there's no way I'm paying someone to do it (london honda) :rolleyes:
I need a garage damnit!!

JSIR
08-17-2002, 03:13 PM
SmoothOperator, you can do it at my house in my garage and I can show you how to do it, Ive got all the tools too. Maybe give me $20 . Only thing is I will be laid up for a week or two after some minor surgery I have to get done end of next week so I can't do any lifting. Give me a shout if you're interested, you should be able to have all parts purcyhased and installed for $150, plus you'll learn a bit too.

The difference in handling is subtle in most driving situations, once you take it hard into a corner you can definitely feel the difference. If you are expereinced with understeer and oversteer driving conditions, you will really appreciated the bar. I don't know how it feels with lowering springs, but it really does reduce body roll effectively. I have to find out how the left and right holder plates differ from our stock ones, they look the same to me and I can't see why you need a left and right designation. I have to check into this. So far I am running with the stock holder plates and the bar hasn't moved at all.

JSIR
08-18-2002, 05:48 PM
guys I just had a good look at the 2 mounting plates for the bushings and it appears that they are the same parts as the RSX-S, thus you don't need to purchase new ones. Ours are marked left and right also, but it is hard to see with the undercoating spray, rub it off and you will see the R and L markings. I'm glad I got them on the correct side as I didn't even know they were marked for a particular side. So you can save yourself 8-10 bucks by not buying those two parts. After driving my car for a few days now everything is still tight, the bushings look the same as they do on the RSX-S, same shape and distortion. looks good.

Joey

00sir
08-19-2002, 09:30 AM
I installed mine friday morning, and it was a one of the easiest installs ever. I took 38 minutes taking my time. You need

12mm socket for bracket holders
14mm for the end bolts (which holds the sway bar)
JSIR (I did not need an alan wrench)...?
I also purchased some replacement protective
spray for corrosion. This way it still looks stock.. You can't even tell the bolts have been touched.

The holders you do not need. Save the extra 10 bucks for the under-carriage spray to keep it looking stock. I cost $2.99 at the autozone and
is black and rubbery when sprayed.

Anyways it did make a difference under hard driving conditions.. So next up, is the springs...

Take Care!

Mulder
08-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, this will be my next mod. Can anyone tell me if the rsx S has a larger front sway bar and if it will fit on our Si?

Thanks.

JSIR
08-20-2002, 05:40 AM
I think our front sway bar is sufficient as there is little body roll from the front end, the majority of body roll left in the stock car is from the rear end. If you go with a larger front bar you will end up increasing understeer, if anything you may want to go with a smaller front bar to reduce understeer. I can't remember what size front bar the RSX-S uses, I had a brochure around here somewhere which listed it, I thought it was 1mm smaller than our stock front bar, not totally sure until I find the brochure.

Hondatech
08-20-2002, 08:32 PM
I installed an RSX Type S rear sway bar in my SiR today after work. Nice! Takes up a lot of the lean in the back, makes it feel WAY more stable in the corners. Works well with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, it seems. Got the bar and bushings from our Acura dealer for $110 canadian.

For the record, installation took six minutes with a hoist and air tools ;)

JSIR
08-20-2002, 09:15 PM
lol, 6 minutes, damn that's good. Yeah the bar does take care of the body roll in the rear very nicely. Take it into a hard corner and the rear end just slides through it without any fuss. I've got Pro-kits sitting in my basement, good to hear you like them with that bar. Can't wait to get them installed.