PDA

View Full Version : import tuner power pages (2003 civic si)

k20ASi
05-27-2003, 12:35 PM
just got import tuner
this is the power they made
baseline hp 153.3 tq 131.9
k&n typhoon intake hp 160.4 tq 134.4
tanabe super medallion racing spec exust hp163.4 tq134.4
dc sports header hp166.9 tq129.7
+13.6 -2.2

im just sharing the numbers

Suk02Si
05-27-2003, 12:40 PM
wow, their baseline is pretty high for bone stock. What kind of dyno did they use?

k20ASi
05-27-2003, 12:54 PM
dynamic test sytems dyno

TrippZ
05-27-2003, 12:55 PM
+11 hp from intake?

wow.

BlasTech
05-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by k20ASi

baseline ========> tq 131.9
dc sports header ==> tq129.7
TOTAL =========> tq -2.2

...oh well, at least we know, now. :o

02SilverSiHB
05-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech

...oh well, at least we know, now. :o
ha, and that dc sports is supposed to help torque...

k20ASi
05-27-2003, 01:02 PM
sorry intake ony went to 160

Tragedy
05-27-2003, 01:46 PM
I'm not trying to sound condescending, but am I the only person who thinks IMPORT TUNER is the ULTIMATE RICE MAG? This magazine wreaks of rice. It's catered to the FnF newbies who are trying to get into the scene. Any mag that puts SHOW CARS and Half-naked whores on the cover speaks volumes of where their priorities are in the scene.

Just my opinion.

Mad02Si
05-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Tragedy
I'm not trying to sound condescending, but am I the only person who thinks IMPORT TUNER is the ULTIMATE RICE MAG? This magazine wreaks of rice. It's catered to the FnF newbies who are trying to get into the scene. Any mag that puts SHOW CARS and Half-naked whores on the cover speaks volumes of where their priorities are in the scene.

Just my opinion. Your not alone, I stopped getting that mag years ago, when I realized I what more info on the car not the models. The power pages were the only good about the mag but not good enough to justify buying it.. Way to many show cars not enough go cars

02SilverSiHB
05-27-2003, 02:21 PM

Just my opinion.
yeah, they've usually been more into the FnF kinda stuff, but in the last year, they seem to be trying to steer the other direction. Their base run with the Si is higher than it was last year. The base run they did was 136whp and they added something like a DC intake, apexi n1 exhaust and then an apexi s-afc controller.

SHAKEnBAKE
05-27-2003, 04:06 PM

Just my opinion.

Yes, I second to you. It's good to have an "entry-level" magazine where the articles do not have high technicality, but Import Tuner is just heading for the wrong way, the RICE way.

But they are getting better tho, like Silver sez.:D

SHAKEnBAKE
05-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by k20ASi
just got import tuner
this is the power they made
baseline hp 153.3 tq 131.9
k&n typhoon intake hp 160.4 tq 134.4
tanabe super medallion racing spec exust hp163.4 tq134.4
dc sports header hp166.9 tq129.7
+13.6 -2.2

im just sharing the numbers

Wow, that eliminates the need for Type-R swap:rolleyes:

SHAKEnBAKE
05-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Which issue is this? I went to the newsstand and read the new one(june) and found nothing.:(

JSIR
05-27-2003, 07:56 PM
don't pay attention to the absolute numbers, the delta change in dyno numbers is most important - thus the 13 whp gains is pretty accurate, the start and finish numbers dont' mean a thing.

Their findings seem pretty acccurate to what I found on my car. The Typhoon intake, midpipe, HP header gained 12whp on my EP, while retaining the stock muffler. The overbored throttle body added another 5whp on my car. In terms of torque numbers, you have to expect the torque to drop a bit as the stock headers are very small in size. You lose a bit of torque and gain a bit of hp with the DC or other header.

Joey

Makross
05-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Import Tuner Sucks!

Tekdemon
05-27-2003, 08:49 PM
hmm what I think is that import tuner might be measuring the flywheel horsepower and not the whp...just because those numbers look like bhp

tsa1
05-27-2003, 09:10 PM
actually they did a power pages article on the si umm i forgto what month, but i do know that tila nguyen was on the cover ;)and the featured car was a turbo'd rsx. but anyways the base line they got was like 131-135 and the did a k&nn filter with no airbox, an apex thingy and a apex-i ni muffler( not catback) so umm ya

FailureToStop
05-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Sweet. I'm going out and getting this issue. The power pages are exactly why I think Import Tuner is one of the better tuner magazines out there. The power pages kick-ass and it's unique.
With Super Street, SCC, Honda Tuning or whatever you often times don't get dyno results from their articles.

MYEP3
05-28-2003, 12:26 AM
if you keep your stock air box and drop in a high flow filter, or better yet get the jdm box with a drop-in filter, anyways if you retain your stock box your torque #'s will increase. Were as with a CAI you will lose torque.

cbecker333
05-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by MYEP3
if you keep your stock air box and drop in a high flow filter, or better yet get the jdm box with a drop-in filter, anyways if you retain your stock box your torque #'s will increase. Were as with a CAI you will lose torque.

I find this hard to believe. The comparisons I've seen show a slight dip in torque for a small portion of the lower RPM range, but an overall improvement, and more importantly the curve is smoother with a CAI. My car's torque improved noticeably from the CAI that I added. She also pulls more smooth (I notice the improved continuity of the new torque curve).

FailureToStop
05-30-2003, 01:09 AM
Alright I just went to the newstand and took a look at the June issue of Import Tuner. There is not EP power pages there. What month is this EP in?

k20ASi
05-30-2003, 06:41 AM
it in july

silver ep
05-30-2003, 07:26 AM
if you keep your stock air box and drop in a high flow filter, or better yet get the jdm box with a drop-in filter, anyways if you retain your stock box your torque #'s will increase. Were as with a CAI you will lose torque
Can anyone verify this?

cbecker333
05-30-2003, 12:28 PM
I can verify that its just not true, or is at least a very subjective statement....

BlackBullet02Si
05-30-2003, 06:00 PM
just got back from borders where i was able to check out the new import tuner power pages on our cars. my response: hmmmm......
A little while ago I was very interested in getting the K&N typhoon intake as my first engine mod, but a couple people on here talked about how with this intake they lost a considerable amount of low end torque. Now, according to the test results in the power pages, the torque increases quick a bit. I think i remember an increase of 4-6 at lower rpms around 2000-3500. Can someone help me answer this question once and for all? I don't want to do a mod that will cause substancial drops in lowend torque because about 75% of my driving is within the 2000-3500 range. Anyone with this intake that could help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

JSIR
05-30-2003, 07:59 PM
I can verify that on a dyno at WOT testing you gain bottom end and midrange torque with the K&N SRI, it actually looks like a fair amount , about 5 ft lbs on average. However in normal city driving while sucking hot air and at part throttle driving conditions chances are you will not be gaining any torque. Are you losing torque ?, hard to say, it is possible. K&N uses the smaller sized piping as compared to many other intakes, so it probably loses the least amount of bottom end torque . Just my best guess here.

Joey

BlackBullet02Si
06-02-2003, 02:53 PM
thanks man, I think ima take the plung once school is over and buy the typhoon.

StrangeShadow
06-02-2003, 03:43 PM
haha that' just how you sell a lot of mags to teen agers, hot girls everywhere and show cars, personally I'll buy whatever mag has info on our car, a couple weeks back importtuner had a mad layout of the aerospeed type-r, so I bought the mag, other than that this particular one usually has jack, sept those funny comics about that dude w/green eyes.

SiR Medic
06-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Yeah...

Every month I look at the tuner mags, and if they got nothin' on the EP, I put it down.

Even if the mag has an article on how to install simple stuff, I'll snap it up just to encourage them to print more articles on our car.

I'm gettin' sick of articles on the WRX, EVO, and the Silvia!:mad: