PDA

View Full Version : best street exhaust set-up....what's the verdict?

dustinhurley
05-27-2003, 07:40 PM
I'm sure a lot of us are skeptical about purchasing an exhaust set-up due to the recent complaints of losing low-end power. I think its time we decide what is the best overall exhaust system. The issue of losing low-end power for high-end gains is endlessly debatable, however, I feel that the majority of us desire gains that will benefit normal street driving.

Header: I have not seen any persuasive number to prove that a header on the K20A3 is very benefitial. Everyone who has purchased one claims that the gains are nice. However, I recently saw number posted on this board stating the DC Sports header lost 2 tq. Will an upgraded exhaust manifold always cause a loss of tq on this motor? Would the numbers change based on the diameter of the rest of the exhaust system?

Midpipe: A lot of people are running 2", 2.25", and 2.5" midpipes. Which diameter proves to be the best for street application? i.e. doesn't cause a loss of low-end power. It seems that most of the aftermarket cat-back system are around 2.25". I'm looking into the Fujitsubo Legalis-R which is 60mm (2.36").

Axle-back: Would any benefit arise from simply adding an axle-back system, such as the one Spoon offers? If every exhaust combo proves to lose low-end power, some might want to simply upgrade the muffler for more appeal and a better sound.

Overall: With all the different diameter combinations one could create for each aspect of the exhaust system, it seems impossible to test them all. But, with the knowledge of everyone, I think we can conclude on the best set-up for someone desiring a street application. Please excuse the length and please provide any input you may have.

Tenacious G
05-28-2003, 02:03 PM
i believe it was JSIR who summed up nicely the effects of increasing exhaust tubes. i hope i can sum up his thoughts without messing it up.

when you increase the diameter of the midpipe and exhaust, at low RPM you have the same volume of of exhaust gases going through a larger tube resulting in slower air velocities. lower velocities = less torque.

a larger midpipe and exhaust may result in high-end power, but it seems 99.9% of the time, you sacrifice low-end torque for that high-end. if you have FI, then larger exhaust diameters will be beneficial to take care of the extra air flow from the super or turbocharger.

short answer, the stock midpipe and exhaust seems to be the best solution to keep low-end power intact.

here's another thread where this was discussed:
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13115

hth

fishboy
05-28-2003, 02:11 PM
just get a header and exhaust. you will start feeling the power at around 3krpm anyway. unless you upshift at 3k then you might not want them along with every other mod that you can do.:D