PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Short rams

ATRIOT
05-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey anyone know why so many Rsx guys rant and rave about Injens SRI, some even saying that its better than a CAI? Apparently its performance has been dyno proven, so would the gains apply to EP3's too? base-rsx being essentialy the same, layout wise as a EP3. Any thoughts?

02TafWhtSi
05-28-2003, 06:23 AM
I love mine! Just put it on over the weekend and I honestly felt a solid improvement. Plus, the engine growl when I plant my foot is really addicting :D I was really paranoid about possible hydrolocking (I know, I know, it's very rare) which is why I went with the short ram. Install went perfect and looks really sharp! ;)

ATRIOT
05-28-2003, 06:35 AM
Looks very nice! But i dont know if heatsheilds really do anything for you performance wise. Heres a link to the club rsx intake poll, and the injen sri is neck and neck with the aem cai.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=29409

Some guy did some dyno testing of a few intakes, and the injen fared pretty well

http://performance.clubrsx.com/intaketest.html

Think it makes that big a difference on our EP3's?

Black03Si
05-28-2003, 06:53 AM
I think the consensus is that the SRI and CAI are pretty much equal on the top end. Supposedly, you keep some of the bottom end with a CAI, which may be around 2-3 hp. The SRI should work just fine plus the install is alot quicker and easier. I would look in the DC sports Direct Air Charger for our cars. It's shows the sames gains, if not better, than Injen and AEM, and it's not as pricey.

SOUTHPAW
05-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Import Tuner did a test for short rams on the RSX. All short rams offer more hp and more torque overall than the stock air box. There results for hp were: 1.)Injen 2.)DC sport 3.)Jackson racing 4.)K&N 5.)AEM. For Torque: 1.)AEM 2.)Jackson racing 3.)K&N 4.)Injen 5.)DC sport. Thats why I went with the AEM short ram, I wanted that off the line torque. Plus I can feel the hp difference. By the way, they put in the k&N drop in filter in the stock air box and actually lose power. The stock air box just has to many twist and turns.

mental
05-28-2003, 12:50 PM
i look at it this way... JGTC cars dont use cold air so why should we.. i know our cars arent turbo and somepeople might disagree with me and thats fine but i think the deal with CAI is just highly over hyped! there is only one true CAI that has given some crasy ass numbers that are actually true and thats the AEM V2 CAI apparently its possible of 3hp gains over even AEMs top of the line CAI... which kinda sounds enteresting.. and on another note i would give a word of the wise to people with injen.. injen has had many problems in the past with poor manufactureing techniques that has lead to many recalls.. one of those recalls being the is300, 6th gen SI, and 6th gen civic EX and, 92-95 civic si... just letting yall know! i am not saying you made a poor purchase or choice i am just saying be careful! injen intakes are kinda like DSMs when they are working they are dam fast but ya never know when something might just randomly break!! lol ;) thats just my 2cents

p.s. i have HKS sri and plan on getting the HKS catback... but that a whole nother thread... lol lol...

Tenacious G
05-28-2003, 01:40 PM
actually, if you look at Chris Dye's (he's the owner/admin. of clubrsx.com and i'd trust his word) dyno test, the injen CAI really outperformed the AEM SRI and CAI on the K20A2.

in fact, the AEM SRI lost power at higher temps when put up against the stock air box. (the injen SRI was not tested)

i'll have to admit i was surprised by that. i thought the SRI would provide at least a little bit of power when tested agains the stock air box, even at normal temps (tests show the SRI didn't really provide all that much in gains).

i guess, while pretty restrictive, the stock air box does a better job of picking up "cooler" air than i thought.

another note, i thought the AEM CAI V2 was too thick to fit in the EP.

Black RSX
05-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Well I love my AEM SRI!!! I think it looks a lot better than the Injen, and I am very happy with how it sounds... I do not notice too much of a hp gain... But if I ever want more power to go with my Borla full-catback exhaust I will get the AEM CAI...

I think the AEM SRI looks great... almost like it should be there stock.

http://www.rsxworld.com/gallery/data/500/6155engine.jpg

:)

TrippZ
05-28-2003, 04:18 PM
i <3 mine too. sure, its e-bay, but the sound is worth it :D

Jpax
05-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Funny how the Dyno on the RSX are different then the SI Hummm

Could it be the DIFFERENT intake runners on the RSX vs the Si

So the different intakes make different Gains

It could be the AEM = poop And it could be the INJEN = poop also.

Well i guess you will have to dyno them both and see. :D

SinisterCivicSi
05-28-2003, 06:22 PM
i have the red sri from aem......i love it......it was a super easy install, felt a noticeable increase in gains and the sound, too pretty.

tony speed
05-30-2003, 07:06 PM
the problem with these "tests" is that their probably done as one-shot deals....out a short ram and a CAI in a car, drive a 70 mph for 15 minutes, and then measure the gains, or do back-to-back-to-back tests and you'll see that short ram filters will have a dramtic loss in gains. The fact of the matter is that the hotter the air gets, the less air you're burning cause air expands when heated. therefore a CAI will always outperform a short-ram in non-lab situations, unless it can somehow get colder air....but being right beside the engine...i doubt it.

SinisterCivicSi
06-01-2003, 10:06 AM
true, cai's will always outperforme the sri however.....where i live i cant afford to sacrifice my engine for a couple more HP. since a bypass valve isnt available, it wasnt an option for me. just in may alone, we had 26 out of 31 days, of RAIN! I think that really sucks. however, in cali or just about any other place where you dont have monsoon type rain storms, then the cai is fine. however, if you live in the md,dc,va,pa area, forget it --unless you dont mind replacing you engine.

heihei0330
06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
i have the red sri from aem......i love it......it was a super easy install, felt a noticeable increase in gains and the sound, too pretty.

would you mind posting a pic of your intake in your car, i am abt to get one, deciding whould i stick with the grey or red?

Thx alot

Terence

chunky
06-01-2003, 08:19 PM
the main thing holding the CAI designs back is the fact that the piping diameter is severly restricted by the clearance the battery allows. So while you do benefit from the colder air, you end up choking at higher rpm b/c of the loss in net flow.

there are ways around this, comptech'c icebox looks promising. but basically, if you have anything less than a 3.0" diamter pipe feeding your throttle body, you're not getting the max benefit of all that cold air.

raiyo
10-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
Looks very nice! But i dont know if heatsheilds really do anything for you performance wise. Heres a link to the club rsx intake poll, and the injen sri is neck and neck with the aem cai.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=29409

Some guy did some dyno testing of a few intakes, and the injen fared pretty well

http://performance.clubrsx.com/intaketest.html

Think it makes that big a difference on our EP3's?

hey.... anyone know what'sup with the old old talk on clubrsx about 2nd gen, 4th gen mumbo jumbo on the Injen short ram heatshield? what gen do u get if you buy that thing new nowadays?

ATRIOT
10-07-2003, 10:59 PM
I pretty sure they fixed the problem, now the heatsheild doesnt break.... go cold air, you wont regret it.

idrive
10-07-2003, 11:58 PM
honestly... CAIntakes are such a scam... why bother? our engine bays are very well ventilated. "but but but what about during heavy traffic?" since WHEN do you need power to inch your car forward a few feet? Im sure the rest of the SRI owners will agree when its cold out... they feel a difference too.

but personally i say screw AEM AND Injen! DIY!
my car as it awaits a heavy duty greddy hair dryer ;)

Vivid-Cruz
10-08-2003, 09:08 AM
I agree,
Without the large stock airbox a large open gap to the ground is made. My AEM SRI is placed in such a manner that it optimizes the natural air that would be flowing up through the engine bay created by the lack of the big black box of death (factory airbox). So, IMO it has to be recieving colder air than in the heat absorbing black box... and with having it rain for weeks at a time up here in central cali, its just not worth the risk of a CAI.. thats my fity cent..
Peace

BlasTech
10-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Is that DIY? and what did you do with the crank case breather?

BTW, I saw an AEM V2 first hand on a Type S... its a SRI that reaches even further down towards the ground, with the 2-stage piping... thats right, its NOT a fender-based CAI.

Vivid-Cruz
10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Is that DIY? and what did you do with the crank case breather?

BTW, I saw an AEM V2 first hand on a Type S... its a SRI that reaches even further down towards the ground, with the 2-stage piping... thats right, its NOT a fender-based CAI.

thats what im saying.. sounds like a good idea.. is it available for the ep3?

Peking
10-08-2003, 09:40 AM
V2 no.

Lt_Si
10-08-2003, 10:23 AM
I have the Comptech Icebox for my '03, and one thing that's cool about it, is that you can take the cover off and use it like that. With the cover off, it's basically a short ram with a plastic heat shield. It sounds awesome at WOT with the cover off. I'm guessing a short ram would have a similar sound. It feels like it does a little better at the high rpms with the cover off, but I'm not sure, since the extra sound you get can be deceiving. Has anyone else out there tried this with an Icebox?

Rob

vtecnrg
10-08-2003, 10:39 AM
I have the AEM sri and I love it. It is blue and matches the color of the car. Sounds great and I noticed a small power gain.

I am curious, I will be having a Greddy Turbo installed this weekend and it seems that it comes with its own intake. If this is true? If so, I am uncertain what I will do with the AEM sri. Does anyone know?

BlasTech
10-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Concerning the V2, technically the RSX-S version will fit into the Si, however, the piping is specifically tuned for the A2 engine in the RSX-S, so the benefits wont be the same until they have a model that is sized/tuned for the A3 engine(s).

Vivid-Cruz
10-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by vtecnrg
I have the AEM sri and I love it. It is blue and matches the color of the car. Sounds great and I noticed a small power gain.

I am curious, I will be having a Greddy Turbo installed this weekend and it seems that it comes with its own intake. If this is true? If so, I am uncertain what I will do with the AEM sri. Does anyone know?

You will have to take the AEM SRI off .. it will be replaced..

vtecnrg
10-08-2003, 06:12 PM
I guess I will be selling it. :(

HondaMan
10-08-2003, 06:34 PM
I had a K&N Typhoon SRI...easy install and bascially the same as the AEM or Injen SRI; and my new Injen RD CAI is better (awesome). I feel a noticable increase in power...the dyno data I have seen is true, the Injen CAI does produce more more. I'm very happy with my Injen CAI purchase. In other words, I know first hand that the Injen CAI produces more power...period.

raiyo
10-08-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna stick with a short ram. I rather give up that few extra HP instead of having the fear of hydrolocking. Eventhough the chances are low. I got no bucks to replace it, hehe. With a CAI, the engine looks weird, since there is a HUGE empty spot. Installion will be alot easier & cheaper with a SRI.

Short Ram Intake = $200
Give girl friend money for shopping, so she wouldn't both me = $300
Not having to fear of hydrolocking = Priceless

hypnoj
10-09-2003, 05:58 AM
I have an Ebay SRI (cost $30 after shipping). I went to Home Depot and bought adhesive heat duct insulation and covered my whole intake ($5). I'm not too concerned about looks, mostly just budget performance. I think it's a good idea if you're worried about engine bay heat.

raiyo
10-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by hypnoj
I have an Ebay SRI (cost $30 after shipping). I went to Home Depot and bought adhesive heat duct insulation and covered my whole intake ($5). I'm not too concerned about looks, mostly just budget performance. I think it's a good idea if you're worried about engine bay heat.

I doubt the insulation on the intake will help much, eventhough the filter is still sucking in engine air. Post up a pic, I wanna see how it looks like, hehe.

tony speed
10-09-2003, 12:48 PM
you know...they should have software out there to test stuff like this....The ecu knows how much air gets into the engine and the temperature of the air..Once you know that, you can easily figure out the difference between a SR and a CAI while you are driving...But noone makes devices that can do that...

bratkat64
10-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I have an AEM CAI and I hate it cause you can't see it!

BEFORE
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/redengine.JPG

AFTER
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/IM000730.JPG
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/IM000731.JPG

Considering where it is located, I can't understand how it does anything. When we took my tire off, the air filter was still clean! I installed it.. in what... July? And it's October.

hypnoj
10-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Is your CAI really sticking out in the open air like that, with nothing but your tire to block it from the elements? Or is there another covering that is supposed to cover it. I know you don't think that it will do any good where it is located, but it's job is to suck in nothing but cold air, and that spot almost guarentees it will be cold air.
(I will post pics of my insulated SRI this weekend. Keep in mind I'm not going for looks.) My filter head does drop down into the space left by the stock filter box, and that space is left open to the elements (meaning you can see the road beneath it). So it should be sucking up cool air, and not getting heated by the engine b/c of it's insulation. I'll post pics, and you guys can decide.

HondaMan
10-10-2003, 05:50 AM
He pulled back or removed the inner fender well to expose the filter, that is the easiest way to install or maintenance them.

I

furious
10-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
i <3 mine too. sure, its e-bay, but the sound is worth it :D

I had one too, but I had promptly ripped it off when I noticed:

the intake actually sits on top of the radiator hose!!!

I drove it for a trip, opened the hood, touched the pipe and just nearly burned my finger off. THAT, cannot be good...

Maybe yours is different, well hopefully it is anyhow:D

furious
10-10-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by hypnoj
My filter head does drop down into the space left by the stock filter box, and that space is left open to the elements (meaning you can see the road beneath it). So it should be sucking up cool air, and not getting heated by the engine b/c of it's insulation. I'll post pics, and you guys can decide.

If you open the hood after a decent trip...the heat that rises onto your face upon opening is what your SRI is likely sucking in.

Hey, how about a lowprofile (but wide) scoop facing forward beneath the EP and blows the elements straight up to this opening? of course the scoope should have a filter...and just think, if it gets clogged, then the SRI is no worse off......??

phatsi
10-10-2003, 06:03 AM
on every honda i have owned...i bought the short ram then eventually the cold air and each time the cold air run slower in the 1/4 mile...not buy a crazy amount but trying to launch the same and do the same runs it was always a bit slower??? also the throttle response with a big bore is a bit more responsive and instant with the short ram....just my experience....;)

furious
10-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by bratkat64
I have an AEM CAI and I hate it cause you can't see it!

BEFORE
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/redengine.JPG

AFTER
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/IM000730.JPG
http://rancidracing.com/alesiaimages/IM000731.JPG

Considering where it is located, I can't understand how it does anything. When we took my tire off, the air filter was still clean! I installed it.. in what... July? And it's October.

it creates a vacuum in that area by doing some serious sucking...the filter remains clean probably because most 'crap' gets blocked by the narrow air passages, but the dust and junk should be visible on the filter...

neways, try this, take the wheel well covering off, drive around a leaf covered road in the suburbs - run over as many piles as you can, and then stop the car and check the filter's ridges.

I'm just messing with ya :D ;)

bratkat64
10-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Well this is the first car I have ever modified. I haven't done much to my car yet cause I am learning how it all works. I got the CAI because everyone told me it was better than the SRI (but the way my CAI sits is much different than all of my friends' CAIs).

The way mine is I assumed that it sucked air in from the front of the car through the bumper, but wasn't really sure. As for the way it appears, I was taking pics as I was installing it so I could make an install page for my car club later on. Chris said he'd do the same for the intake he got, but I haven't heard anything of it since.

One of my roomates has a Weapon R SRI and it hums when the car is on and whistles when you drive. I didn't want my car to do that if I got an SRI because the hum gives me a headache. My AEM CAI is quiet along with my car unless I push it, then I hear it.

You can kinda see his SRI in the picture...
http://rancidracing.com/danielimages/P1010282.jpg

I should get the vids of us tray sliding up and you can hear his car make the wierd noises it does. According to him, his SRI spins the air, thus causing a whistling noise. He says that the spinning is good because it mixes better. Is that correct? I've seen those intakes with fins in them... Tornado or something, but they look really really cheap.

bratkat64
10-10-2003, 06:23 AM
That makes sense. ^_^ Thanks!

And as for the other part = p!

^_^