PDA

View Full Version : HELP! catback choices!!

SinisterCivicSi
05-28-2003, 03:23 AM
ok guys, i need your help.....i dont have time to do a search if this is a repost, but i need help choosing a good catback for the ep like TODAY. i have been having a very hard time finding a big selection of catbacks for our cars......this is all i have found.
Neuspeed
Skunk2
DC Sports (but not the one i want).
HKS i was told but cant find the info anywhere.

ok.....neuspeed just came out.....skunk2 i know really nuthing about or what it looks like, dc.....i used to like the dual canister - now i just hate it, and the tcs they dont make for our car. is there another dc out there for the ep?

I need like item #'s so i can get a final price from my guy.
I dont want greddy, too loud and heard bad things about it. Tanabe i hear is crap, doesnt hold up, and i dont know what else is out there. HELP!

TEKBRAIN
05-28-2003, 03:54 AM
Borla
MBRP

02TafWhtSi
05-28-2003, 06:03 AM
I have the HKS Hi-Power and I absolutely love it! Install couldn't have been easier and it sounds awesome. Below is a pic of mine and a link for the sound clip (right click on "HKS/Sound.avi" and save to your computer)

NJ Meet Pics/Clips (http://65.168.247.56/NJ_Si_Meet/)

fsugatorbait
05-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Id get the greddy...not loud at all unless your WOT, nice low rumble, quality from a race proven company, and its less expensive than most products at $497 shipped from Showstoppers. This is the second greddy exhaust ive owned and absolutely love it.

Jester
05-28-2003, 10:50 AM
how is tanabe crap?
it's full stainless, light w/great welds
vey nice stealthy system IMO
that is what I'm saving for (Hyper Medalion)

Skunk 2 would be my next choice or DC if they made one that looked good like the RSX TCS.

!@#$%
05-28-2003, 10:55 AM
i put the skunk2 on yesterday and it is loud. if you want something quiet, dont get the skunk2. fit was good, has a smooth tone, no raspiness. got it for 492 through tornactive. item # 413-05-2260

fishboy
05-28-2003, 11:07 AM
i also have the skunk and it kicks ass. power is good. and it is loud. if you are a pussy do not get the skunk.

02SilverSiHB
05-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by fishboy
i also have the skunk and it kicks ass. power is good. and it is loud. if you are a pussy do not get the skunk.
:D

02SilverSiHB
05-28-2003, 11:30 AM
I'd go for none of those and get the comptech ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p4a3f18106c6291fed40af2c4993e3e26/fc13f5d7.jpg
I bought mine from www.nopionline.com

Here's pics of the skunk2
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10269&highlight=skunk2

I really don't care for the angled look of the HKS anymore, I used to, but it's up to you.

The DC...forget it! Fishgoy will tell you how I feel about that exhaust.

As far as know, DC only has that one twin fart can exhaust they have for us.

The skunk2 looks great, it will be loud, but you can put the silencer in there to quiet it down in case you don't care for it...and yes that silencer works very well!

The greddy hides under the bumper well and isn't loud.

There's also the tanabe Hyper Medallion and Racing Medallion.
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_list.asp?dept=3000&last=3000
I've seen pics of the Racing Medallion and think it looks very weird on the Si.
The Hyper medallion is smooth looking, I almost went for that one
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p8bff447b20ba7ded816187ce799536c9/fc2985a0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p946bc88f271f9f7c830a6abf72f9decc/fc2985a1.jpg
The only thing I don't like about the hyper medallion is the tip is too big for my taste. That's why I went with comptech. I take it you've seen my post on the comptech and the sound clips also.

So, from the list you gave me, I'd go for the skunk2, none other. But if I had to pic another one... ;) it'd be the comptech

02SilverSiHB
05-28-2003, 11:32 AM
oh and here's a link for the skunk2, good price from what I've seen
http://www.importhorizon.com/skunk2exhauststd.html

03hatch
05-28-2003, 11:47 AM
invidia exhaust not that loud...love the sound. =D

03hatch
05-28-2003, 11:48 AM
side view

EPHatchgirl
05-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Hey lady. I reviewed the HKS a while back, it must be timed out in the rate and review because no one's posted... here's a link.

Link to HKS review (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10129)

I LOVE IT!! (in short...):D

TezGari
05-28-2003, 12:21 PM
If i had a choice, id go with HKS....i heard the Greddy it sounds good....HKS i heard from a clip, but right now i would chooose HKS! Im not a huge FAN of the bent muffler i use to be, i think they look better on Supra's, its kool tho.

02SilverSiHB
05-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by trinispeed
If i had a choice, id go with HKS....i heard the Greddy it sounds good....HKS i heard from a clip, but right now i would chooose HKS! Im not a huge FAN of the bent muffler i use to be, i think they look better on Supra's, its kool tho.
? so why choose the hks if you're not a fan of the bent/angled exhaust?

fishboy
05-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

i am curious about that myself.

i say go with comptech. look how clean it is.:)
i am really diggin your car, 02silver. the rims are a good choice and plus you have shocks. i am really jealous. what are the part numbers for the rear konis by the way? i think i want some.

RockEP_SS**
05-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Go with HKS or Greddy!!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

02SilverSiHB
05-28-2003, 03:42 PM

i am curious about that myself.

i say go with comptech. look how clean it is.:)
i am really diggin your car, 02silver. the rims are a good choice and plus you have shocks. i am really jealous. what are the part numbers for the rear konis by the way? i think i want some.

K-80411281

Thanks man :D I was surprised how loud the comptech is, you just wouldn't think it.

TezGari
05-28-2003, 03:43 PM

I wasnt, but the brand name and looks made me like HKS. I have seen exhuast bent in diffrent ways, but the HKS is not totally bent like a wanabie. ITs just right!

fishboy
05-28-2003, 03:51 PM

K-80411281

Thanks man :D I was surprised how loud the comptech is, you just wouldn't think it.

thanks for the part#. i can believe it is loud. i have heard some sound clips for the comptech on the 99-00 si and it was deep and fairly loud when they got on it.

Mad02Si
05-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Wow who told you the Tanabe was crap?? Out of the exhaust you named Tanabe is in the top 3 as far as quality and lightness. The Comtech, and Hks are the only other exhaust listed that would catch my eye as far as overall satisfaction. If you dont like the Racing Medallion style, look into the Hyper Medallion. Oh and I forgot Invidia I heard they were made by RS*R and if the true I would by that exhaust on name alone..

TezGari
05-28-2003, 05:37 PM
What about custom piping? I was thinking about that.

SinisterCivicSi
05-28-2003, 05:53 PM
ok wow, my head is spinning! thanks for the awsome responses guys/gals!!

i didnt mean to step on anyones' toes about what i said regarding the tanabe.....this is just what i heard from 2 different performance shops....(dont kill the messenger) :)

ok....comptech i know is probablly the best choice, but for what they want i cant afford that....last i heard it was like a grand or close to that for an exhaust, so i never checked.

ok.....sounds like most of you say greddy, hks or skunk2...

so i guess they are both really good, but it all comes down to $$.

and all three are catbacks? no one spoke on the neuspeed, does no one have that yet?

of the three, i wonder which one has the biggest gains?

and for custom piping - i actually did think about that, but from the ones i heard they are super loud, and thats not what i want. i dont mind noise, but i dont want a ticket every time i take off near a cop. lol

as for being a pussy, cant remember who commented on that....but uh, i have one, doesnt mean i am one.....far from it! :D

TravisEP3
05-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Psst.. I've been looking at exhausts all night pretty much. At the end of the night now I've decided on Comptech. Check out this thread and listen to the sound clips. Comptech Sound Clips Thread (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14221) Annnndddd... by the way, the comptech is $649.00 (http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ord-auto~performance-Comptech~Sport~Exhaust-1-6240.htm) or from modacar for $665.00 (http://www.modacar.com/) .

So that's my decision. :D Hope my decisions might help yours but whatever you end up with of all of them I'm sure you'll be happy with. Unless you choose the DC TCS because that thing is so foul looking. Looks like 2 motorcycle exhausts welded together. :confused:

SinisterCivicSi
05-29-2003, 03:14 AM
ahhhh.......decisions decisions... gotta make a choice by tonight.....that money is burnin a hole in my bank account...

02SilverSiHB
05-29-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
ahhhh.......decisions decisions... gotta make a choice by tonight.....that money is burnin a hole in my bank account...
comptech is calling your name :) But if you don't get that, these are the best imo from 1st to last:

1st: Skunk2 (yes it comes as a cat-back)
2nd: Greddy
3rd: Tanabe Hyper Medallion

tornactive
05-29-2003, 09:30 AM
I say SKUNK2, awesome quality and sound. Plus we have them fir under $500 shipped. :D

Rob

MYEP3
05-29-2003, 10:07 AM
If you like the skunk 2 then definatly go for the Invidia. I had this exhaust bolted up to a B16 in a 92-95 coupe and no matter where I went or who I talked to EVERYONE says that it is the most bad ass exhaust with the cleanest deep tone. None of that wound up rubber band shit. Sounds like you got some power under the hood. Also the welds are some of the cleanest I've seen. Butt dyno also gives it 2 thumbs up. I can go for days about this exhaust to sum it up I love it and I want it!!!!!!!!!:D

03hatch
05-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by MYEP3
If you like the skunk 2 then definatly go for the Invidia. I had this exhaust bolted up to a B16 in a 92-95 coupe and no matter where I went or who I talked to EVERYONE says that it is the most bad ass exhaust with the cleanest deep tone. None of that wound up rubber band shit. Sounds like you got some power under the hood. Also the welds are some of the cleanest I've seen. Butt dyno also gives it 2 thumbs up. I can go for days about this exhaust to sum it up I love it and I want it!!!!!!!!!:D

the exhaust does sound like you got a motor.

hey if you want invidia exhaust my homie can do it for $480, and we can meet up. :D

mhx
05-29-2003, 01:10 PM
custom mid pipe 2.25 in

SinisterCivicSi
05-30-2003, 03:45 AM
just ordered my skunk2 this morning, cant wait to get it on!
when i put it on, everything else will go on as well, should feel significant difference....and hear it too.....wish i knew how to do sound clips.

02SilverSiHB
05-30-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
just ordered my skunk2 this morning, cant wait to get it on!
when i put it on, everything else will go on as well, should feel significant difference....and hear it too.....wish i knew how to do sound clips.
cool, what's everything else? Header and intake. you'll notice a huge difference in the car when you have i/h/e.

As for sound clips, I used my wife's lap top and bought a better mic at Best Buy. I just bought one for about 20 bucks. Hooked it up to the lap top and then went to the sound recorder and just recorded the sound that way. Then I loaded them to the computer I have in the house with a disc, and then mhx posted them for me.

stephen
05-30-2003, 05:42 AM
you said you didn't want to do custom piping because of the loudness... but then you go and buy a skunk2?

mhx
05-30-2003, 07:07 AM
midpipe is not loud at all
it nearly sounds stock

SinisterCivicSi
05-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by stephen
you said you didn't want to do custom piping because of the loudness... but then you go and buy a skunk2?

comes with a silencer sweetie, so i have the option....if its too loud, the silencer goes on ;) :D

SmoothOperator
05-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Go get yourself one of those big apple juice tins. Drink it all, cut open one end, and stick the other over your stock exhaust. Voila!! Insta-fartcan!!!
You'll be getting mad looks, and be the hit of the ball!!!

fishboy
05-30-2003, 02:45 PM
it sucks with the silencer. power goes down and it looks like shit. if you don't like the noise you are screwed and wasted money.

02SilverSiHB
05-30-2003, 04:44 PM
it sucks with the silencer. power goes down and it looks like shit. if you don't like the noise you are screwed and wasted money.
yeah, I remember my apexi n1 looked kinda dumb with the silencer in, main reason I took it out, still too loud though, especially when the JRSC was kicking in :o

Sidriver
05-30-2003, 08:00 PM
I just saw a white ep at my work this afternoon with a skunk 2 exhaust. it sound sweet

SinisterCivicSi
06-01-2003, 09:59 AM
well i didnt make my choice to impress any of you or to your wants.....i did it for mine. there are alot of people on here that seem to like the skunk2 from what i have read in the past and with this post now.
and thanks for the juice can suggestion......you should do that.

as for waisting money - dont think so. if for any reason i dont like the exhaust, i got a great deal for it and i wouldnt have any problem flippin it to someone else....so i am unconcerned.

thanks sidriver -- thats what i hear.